Can you help me with making the team play in the way I want to?

So, I am managing Leeds in 5th season and I am fighting for CL football, but seems that 2nd season in a row I will finish 4th.

Here's my tactic:

CF-Att

W-su                Iw-su

Mez-Att   Ap-su

DM-Su

Iwb-su Cd-de Bpd-de CWB-Att

My instructions are like this: Play out of defence, Shorter passing, Play wider, Overlap right, Counter-press, Higher LOE, Higher D. Line, Offside trap, More urgent, Take short kicks

I am using overlap right because it reduces my Iw-su just trying to dribble and shoot. 

Balanced mentality 

I want to play patient possession football, with goals coming from through ball to striker(Haaland), Winger to cross inside, occasionally a long shot, or CWB cross. 

But sadly most goals I score I score are from corners, Haaland scores a hattrick and then dissapears for 3 matches, and sometimes a cross to my Winger who heads it in. 

And I don't know how to but I want to make the most use of Foden, who is currently playing as a Mezzala. 

Home games are not such a problem, but away, even the bad teams outplay me(I can still win when Butland turns on God mode), but still, I want to dominate matches having a lot of possession and attractive chances. 

Any suggestions for my setup? Thanks 

Edited by Beni150

Hello, Beni150!

First of all, the fact that you are competing for CL football with Leeds is already a great achievement.

It has to be taken into account that goals in this year's ME rather tend to result from set pieces, regardless of the style of football we are aiming for, and the open play is extremely wing-heavy anyway. To combat this I recommend to play without the traditional winger role completely and use inverted wingers or inside forwards instead. Therefore I don't see any reason to use inverted wingbacks, because, unfortunately, they don't really make it possible to force play through the center.

The play through the center is a core component of possession football if you look at the systems of Guardiola and Enrique. There are of course possession-based systems that try to integrate wing play, or wide play. Examples of this would be Borussia Dortmund under Lucien Favre 18/19 or Löw's rather extreme "spam cross tactic" WC 2018 (which horribly failed). Such hybrid systems are intended to enable counter attacks via the wings in addition to possession dominance—they aim for the golden balance.

Based on this, I would make the following changes:

• DLF-su instead of CF-at in order to prevent the striker from getting isolated
  • IW-su on the left (he will still look for crosses if opportunities arise)
  • IF-su/at on the right
  • RPM on the right instead of Ap-su for a more fluid connection between defense and attack
  • WB-su/de on the left
  • CWB-su on the right
  • remove Overlaps
  • remove Play Wider (and play even narrower to improve patient passing by reducing the distances between players)
Edited by FMSD0

10 hours ago, Beni150 said:

Here's my tactic:

CF-Att

W-su                Iw-su

Mez-Att   Ap-su

DM-Su

Iwb-su Cd-de Bpd-de CWB-Att

My instructions are like this: Play out of defence, Shorter passing, Play wider, Overlap right, Counter-press, Higher LOE, Higher D. Line, Offside trap, More urgent, Take short kicks

I am using overlap right because it reduces my Iw-su just trying to dribble and shoot. 

Balanced mentality 

10 hours ago, Beni150 said:

I want to play patient possession football, with goals coming from through ball to striker(Haaland), Winger to cross inside, occasionally a long shot, or CWB cross

Whatever style of football you want to play, the first thing you need to make sure is that your setup of roles and duties are well-balanced in the sense that you have both sufficient support in attack and sufficient solidity and stability in defense. In that particular respect, I like how your left side is set up - Wsu, MEZat and IWBsu :thup: (of course, this also depends on whether you have the right type of player for each of these roles).

What I do not like though is your right side - having an AP as the CM on the same side with such an attack-minded and adventurous role as CWB on attack can be very risky defensively and make the flank needlessly too vulnerable (and even more so given that even your DM is on support duty instead of defend). Plus, the CWB as a role generally makes more sense in narrow systems, where he is the only wide player on his flank. Therefore - taking all this into account as well as your intention to play patient possession football - my suggestion would be this:

- change the APsu into DLPsu

- and change the CWB into FB on attack (or WB on support in case you use the Overlap right instruction) 

11 hours ago, Beni150 said:

with goals coming from through ball to striker(Haaland)

If so, then you need to play your lone striker in a simpler role. PF on attack duty would make most sense in this particular setup IMHO. You may also try with a poacher, but the problem is that the poacher is a bit too static role, so he might struggle as a lone striker in this particular type of formation (PIs such as roam from position and/or move into channels may help somewhat though). 

There are some more potential suggestions as to what you may need to change/tweak in order to improve the tactic, but let's leave them for later discussion.

Your roles and duties aren't bad, they're quite balanced but I think a but to forward thinking for possession. 

Forward on attack trying to run in behind.  Mez-At and AP-Su trying risky passes often.  Mez playing wider and forward with the winger also staying wide and telling team to play wider.  The waiting for a CWB-At to bomb down the flank and do what? Cross it? Not very possession style of chance creation. 

Nice combos and clearly your doing well with Leeds but not the style your after. The question I have is do you adjust to go more possession or more balanced?  What fits your players best?

If the faster attacks is the route I'd lose the look for overlap to free the IW but keep the natural overlap.  I'd not press to high to try to create space for forwards early runs.  Probably lose shorter passing to or go to a higher mentality.

If possession route I'd want the ST to combine more and use the AMC area more.  I'd want the mez to switch to a more patient and central role, be it bbm or cm-su/at with get forwards PI or player trait.  change from winger to IF or IW. reduce the risk taking of the DR so hes more patient and less cross heavy.

On 18/03/2020 at 15:04, summatsupeer said:

Your roles and duties aren't bad, they're quite balanced but I think a but to forward thinking for possession. 

Forward on attack trying to run in behind.  Mez-At and AP-Su trying risky passes often.  Mez playing wider and forward with the winger also staying wide and telling team to play wider.  The waiting for a CWB-At to bomb down the flank and do what? Cross it? Not very possession style of chance creation. 

Nice combos and clearly your doing well with Leeds but not the style your after. The question I have is do you adjust to go more possession or more balanced?  What fits your players best?

If the faster attacks is the route I'd lose the look for overlap to free the IW but keep the natural overlap.  I'd not press to high to try to create space for forwards early runs.  Probably lose shorter passing to or go to a higher mentality.

If possession route I'd want the ST to combine more and use the AMC area more.  I'd want the mez to switch to a more patient and central role, be it bbm or cm-su/at with get forwards PI or player trait.  change from winger to IF or IW. reduce the risk taking of the DR so hes more patient and less cross heavy.

I want my team to dominate possession in oppositon half and passing the ball around waiting for some of their defenders to make a mistake