You've got to help me

The Premier League is seriously way too hard. I'm getting my arse kicked away from home and I'm so inconsistent it's untrue.

I'm Newcastle.

I've had some great wins, beat Chelsea 3-1 away and Man Utd 5-3 at home but it's April and I'm rooted to 13th. I just can't explain it, one week Owen and Martins are on fire and I put three wins together and then all of a sudden it doesn't work and everyone just plays like apes and we lose 4-0 to West Brom or 6-1 to 14th placed Spurs.

The bottom three have taken loads of points off me, its incredible.

I use a 4-1-3-2 formation, quick tempo, little creative freedom, wide play, mixed/direct passing, just-before attacking mentality, low time wasting and focus passing down both flanks - that's my 'home' tactic and like I said, I beat Man Utd 5-2 with it, beat some teams and yet against other teams we get completely spanked.

Away from home I've tried lowering the mentality and played more narrow and slower, a bit deeper to try and stiffle them but it just seems to draw the opposition on and invite pressure. Despite playing with Butt as a DMC and Barton just in front of him on the centre circle I just seem to get overran in the middle with players having acres of space there. I've tried limiting Butt and Barton's (or whoever plays in their position) creative freedom and told them to close down less to hold position more but there's still loads of space - and this is against teams who have just the one man in the middle.

And my full-backs seem totally inadequate in dealing with wide men. Even when they play deep and have their creative freedom and attacking runs lowered teams who play with wingers always seem to get behind them, beaten by the through balls.

It really does seem that whatever I do, the opposite happens. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Please help me, I'm not wanting to win every single game but it's ridiculous how we can beat Man Utd and Chelsea but then get hammered by Boro at home.

Please help me, I'm not wanting to win every single game but it's ridiculous how we can beat Man Utd and Chelsea but then get hammered by Boro at home.

Take a look at Liverpool this season, some great performances against really good teams, then some shocking ones against teams they should thrash, same with Arsenal...

Im not belittling your problem but dont get suckered into the belief that cause you get amazing results against good teams now and again that you should beat crap teams.

Part of it is probably that teams like Chelsea and Man Utd are probably playing very open attacking styles against you in the belief they will crush you and Martins with his pace and Owen with his finishing are able to exploit their mistakes, where as a team who are struggling for form like Tottenham are probably playing a much more considered and slow style of football which blocks those two out of the game.

Just a theory of course and ill be totally honest i dont have any really good specific advice cause i havent played this version enough to give any out with any level of confidence but it seems that (based on what you've said) that your tactics are suited well to taking down attacking teams but not to breaking down more workmanlike sides.

Not amazingly useful insights granted but just thought id chime in :)

Or Arsenal.

Isnt is 7 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses, totaly unrealistic, yet its happened in real life, and there still 4th.

Or unbelieveable tottenham signing to many future star players were bottom of the league and getting smashed.

Im sorry if thats cold, but its true, hell there was a post from a mancity player the other day who had purchased 15 new players into his 16 lineup and was complaining that he wasnt winning the EPL. trying to play extreamly short, lightning fast, but extreamly wide counter attacking football.

The reason id hazard a guess that your beating man utd/chelsea and getting beat by lower teams, is that manutd/chelsea attack you, leaving gaps to be scored against by your own attackers, but that the lower teams are shutting up shop and beating you on the counter attack,

you need to adjust your tactics to counter that.

The Premier League is seriously way too hard. I'm getting my arse kicked away from home and I'm so inconsistent it's untrue.

I'm Newcastle.

I've had some great wins, beat Chelsea 3-1 away and Man Utd 5-3 at home but it's April and I'm rooted to 13th. I just can't explain it, one week Owen and Martins are on fire and I put three wins together and then all of a sudden it doesn't work and everyone just plays like apes and we lose 4-0 to West Brom or 6-1 to 14th placed Spurs.

I use a 4-1-3-2 formation, quick tempo, little creative freedom, wide play, mixed/direct passing, just-before attacking mentality, low time wasting and focus passing down both flanks - that's my 'home' tactic and like I said, I beat Man Utd 5-2 with it, beat some teams and yet against other teams we get completely spanked.

Away from home I've tried lowering the mentality and played more narrow and slower, a bit deeper to try and stiffle them but it just seems to draw the opposition on and invite pressure. Despite playing with Butt as a DMC and Barton just in front of him on the centre circle I just seem to get overran in the middle with players having acres of space there. I've tried limiting Butt and Barton's (or whoever plays in their position) creative freedom and told them to close down less to hold position more but there's still loads of space - and this is against teams who have just the one man in the middle.

And my full-backs seem totally inadequate in dealing with wide men. Even when they play deep and have their creative freedom and attacking runs lowered teams who play with wingers always seem to get behind them, beaten by the through balls.

It really does seem that whatever I do, the opposite happens. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Morning All.

i am sorry to hear so many struggling in the premiership.

try reading my post Tactic 4-1-2-1-2.

I have had great success in the demo and full game and 3 people who have sent me feedback have also enjoyed succes with it. I will attach the tactic for all to download, try it and anyone struggling PM me with their team I will add a new user and trial my tactic for them and I will PM my results, but the teams it has been succesful for are Leeds/ Man C for me Spurs, Man C and PSV for others who have tried it.

Hope this helps.

http://www.filepanda.com/file/mutfgjeh5pfj/

http://www.filepanda.com/file/oaryq1jcvhlj/

2 slightly different variations of the same tactic.

I'm Newcastle.

I'm managing newcastle and we have 6 games left and are 4 points behind league leaders Arsenal, we're almost guaranteed 2nd spot since 3rd place are almost 9 points behind us. Personally speaking, I find the game fairly straightforward to handle. Unlike most people I have an arsenal of tactics to turn to. There are matches when I play a bog basic 442, and in some other matches I have variety.. I think that I have used something like 15 different tactics in my first season.

When I go into a match, I spend a fair bit of time evaluating the 2D, the opp players and also the stats to determine where I should defend more or where I should focus. There are times when I've taken huge risks, I remember a match against Man City away where they were playing a wide 451, and had some dangerous wingplay. Within 15 mins of the start I made my first tactical change by switching to my 451 so that my wingforwards would keep their fullbacks occupied, thus leaving my fullbacks to handle simpler one on ones with their wingers.

In other matches I had to switch from winged attacked formations to others that had more central focus with an AMC. At the end of the day, its not how good your tactic is, its how good you are at determining what you should do in a game. Learn the nuances of the game, especially evaluating threats on 2D and understand the concept of defending by attacking. Learn how to modify your formation so that you can defend tight and hit on the counter if need be. And always know what your players can and cannot do within the framework of your tactic.

There are a few decent threads which offer good advice. If there's one thing I practice its never to make a defensive tactic.

The tactics are unbelievably hard this year! Its so tough!

Ive tried seasons now with ipswich, man city and arsenal and with all of them i am losing to teams i should be beating and ending up alot lower in the league than i should. My transfer nous is brilliant, i can pick a bargain, a young talented player with every team i play, except the results are not coming.

I am currently Man city, i have not sold any players apart from loaning out 1 or 2 of the lesser known players. I have purchased:

Marek Hamsik from Napoli for £15m

Miguel Veloso from Sporting for £11.75m (£8m of this pay off within the next 12months)

Oscar Cardozo from Benfica for £6.75m

Yury Zhirkov from CSKA for £12m

Levan Kenia from Schalke for £2.5m

Obafemi Martins from Newcastle for £12.5m (£2.5m depending on goals, £3m in next 18 months and £100k per league appearance for next 40 games)

The team i field is like so :

Hart (goalkeeper pre set)

Richards

Dunne (both centre back pre set)

Zabaleta

Zhirkov (both wing back pre set)

Veloso (defensive midfielder pre set)

Hamsik (midfielder pre set)

Elano ( att mid pre set)

Wright phillips

Robinho (both wingers pre set, playing AMR and AML)

Cardozo (target man pre set)

i play long quick passing.

3 clicks to left on attacking. and counter attacking. Wide set, and target man as cardozo, being a big strong forward.

this has failed to work! i thought i had come up with a good solid tactic which would not only suit my players, but definitely give my new signings room to excel in performances.

I totally destroyed the sides i played in euro qualification with Jo and ched evans giving incredible performances. But 10 games in and constantly changing formation to try find right one i am sitting just above relegation zone. Cardozo hasnt scored yet, Robinho hasnt given a performace above 7.3 and my keepers are letting in goals galore! Any tips on tactics?

I stated this somewhere else but its worth noting again, its a problem particular (it seems) in this years version to Man City at the start. You have to bear in mind that of your first choice eleven, 5 of them (half the outfield) are totally new players, many of whom dont speak the same languages and have never played in the EPL before.

Man city start with 3 or 4 new players before any signings are even made and with their huge transfer budget the tempation is to replace half the team, which is fine if you want to go that route, but expect patchy/poor results purely due to this factor.

I'm very aware that in real life teams beat the big teams but then also drop points against lower opposition - I'm not complaining about that, but it's the fact that the AI pull nine men behind the ball and manage to cope with me, and yet when I try and play defensive and counter them I just invite pressure and get completely destroyed.

I somewhat agree if you focus on emulating the AI and put 9 men behind the ball to soak pressure and counter it simply doesn't work. For me, so far, FM09 is about attacking and nullifying the opposition; 9 times out of 10 if i focus on defending when it's 0-0 i will end up losing which is somewhat unrealistic. The problem is the AI dribblers, they defy logic (according to their crap stats v my defenders stats).

For now, if i want to defend i just play around with runs, defensive line, tempo and most importantly shift the formation about - typically moving amcs to mc and amlr's to mlr.

I stated this somewhere else but its worth noting again, its a problem particular (it seems) in this years version to Man City at the start. You have to bear in mind that of your first choice eleven, 5 of them (half the outfield) are totally new players, many of whom dont speak the same languages and have never played in the EPL before.

Man city start with 3 or 4 new players before any signings are even made and with their huge transfer budget the tempation is to replace half the team, which is fine if you want to go that route, but expect patchy/poor results purely due to this factor.

-----

yeah, i mean, its not just man city, even at ipswich, the team i love and support and steward for, i managed them, signed ONE player, fowler for like 50k lol n even then playin my strongest team and tactics i thought suit town in real life, i ended up losing to the likes of doncaster, and could hardly win. I just seems very difficult this year. Its fine, and i do like to take time on my games, but sometimes i do feel like after a while, itl be ok, its jus a game and its not realistic. but apparently its getting more and more realistic as far as players gelling, speaking different languages goes and the like. il get my head down, cheers bois

If the lesser teams are beating you, it's probably because their tactics are better set up to deal with the threat you pose. I would change my tactics slightly for these type of games, perhaps play with more width.

I've started a new season with my beloved Ipswich Town and i have tweaked my tactics i saved and it appears i now have a winning formula!

I have played 4 and won 3, i just lost to Watford, i changed the formation to a 4 5 1 defensive counter attack them being a good team and all. i didnt quite do it, was 1 - 0 down at h/t. I made some changes, i went straight back to my winning 4 4 2 formation and i almost pulled it back. john stead and kevin lisbie both missing a sitter each!

I signed Joe Ledly for £3m and he has been a sensational buy! he is amazing! always making runs with or without the ball down the left side and whipping the balls in. A definite reccomendation!

Your Ass Man should give you some clues in your away games where it might be going wrong - possibly you need to adjust the midfield's mentality individually to close up a hole

mine tends to say i have a gap between def and Mid even when i am playing 2 DM'sand then 3 Mids ahead (on the half way line ) its daft

mine tends to say i have a gap between def and Mid even when i am playing 2 DM'sand then 3 Mids ahead (on the half way line ) its daft

That maybe because the mentality settings for your defensive unit and the midfielders are to different.

Read the tactical theories thing (the pdf someone made) it explains how mentality settings should never be to different in order to prevent gaps like this.

OR it might just be the ass manager talking crap, they do tend to make stuff up sometimes.

Like in my Man City game, he told me Stephen Ireland was misplacing to many passes and yet he played a 7.8 and got man of the match with a 78% pass completion ratio (roughly)

Archived