Make VAR more suspenseful

Kronie

This is a smaller request and I believe it could be easily implemented. In real life, VAR decisions take a long time and are very suspenseful for the fans, players, and managers. Meanwhile, in football manager, VAR decisions are very predictable to the point that I almost always know what the decision will be.

When a goal is scored that is going to ruled out by VAR, I instantly know it won't stand because the top of the screen doesn't show the name of the goal scorer as it normally does. I don't even get to celebrate the goal for an instant before I realize it is disallowed. When the referee stops the match while the ball is still in play to review for a penalty, a penalty is always given. If the referee waits for the ball to go out of bounds and then checks, no penalty is given. 

Obviously I'm not asking for the process to be lengthened because no one wants to be sitting there for multiple minutes while the referee checks VAR. However, I believe there are a few easy changes that could be made to improve VAR on FM. For starters, having the goal scorer's name pop up on the top of the screen on a goal that will eventually be disallowed would be a great feature. Similarly, it would be cool to see more goals that are actually valid to be checked by VAR so that you are kept in suspense. Finally, for penalties, I think it would be sensible to have all penalties to be checked after the ball goes out of play instead of right after the incident occurs.

Overall, I like that VAR exists in the game but I just wish there was some suspense like there is in real life.

• 6 months later...