The 2-5-1-2: High Risk, High Reward

I thought I'd share this tactic I developed with Milan that helped lead us to an incredible year where we won all 5 available trophies (The Champions League, Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italia and The UEFA Supercup).

This is not my primary tactic but I often will switch to it when in need of a goal and have deployed it from the outset in a number matches as well. It has invariably been extremely effective for me in pinning opponents back and creating a high volume of chances while suffocating them, including against sides that were superior to mine on paper. My usual starting formation is a 4-1-4-1 DM shape with a Vertical Tiki Taka style, and this formation is easily switched to in game from that one by removing both fullbacks for a striker and a #10 (or winger can be removed and a fullback pushed up). It is certainly possible to switch to this shape in game from many other formations, provided the right personnel are in the squad. 

2512DM-1.thumb.png.002dffd05739eeebcab5217f94668d04.png

The basic shape is a 2-5-1-2 DM formation in the game, although I would refer to it as a 3-4-1-2 in practice as the DM will drop back between the CB's naturally to form a back three. Of course the most obvious thing from the outset is that it is quite risky because with just two centre-backs as the only out and out defenders in the lineup, there will be a lot of space in behind the wingers for the opposition to exploit in the absence of any fullbacks. However, with the wingers pressing up so high and the front three pressurizing the opposition, it tends to be very difficult for my opponents to have enough time on the ball to actually get in behind my midfield. I am also lucky enough to have two quality CB's in this side and a very good DM to cover, so this tactic will be more difficult to implement with players who can't defend quite as well of course. Nevertheless, it is much more defensively sound than it appears, and when opponents get in behind my wingers, the CBs and DM are invariably well positioned enough to cover. 

The in possession, in transition and out of possession instructions are as follows:

2512DM-2.thumb.png.73267d95e01ca409ff92e89a57258d8c.png

2512DM-3.thumb.png.0eabb65fdf8dbc3dc1eab0a5d87dd06c.png

2512DM-4.thumb.png.b61e8bd83445a0dce784961cd1d3b01e.png

I will sometimes make slight alterations to these instructions, mainly that I will increase the passing directness depending on the opponent, game state etc. These are the general instructions for the tactic however, and they have been extremely successful for me. Once again, I'd recommend this not necessarily as a primary tactic, although it certainly can be used as such, but rather as a useful alternative to deploy when needing to get more attacking players on the pitch and put your opponents under serious pressure. 

playing with Milan now the only problem i would have to sell all my full backs to make this work.

Still going to give it a try for a few games see how it works out where is the download link ?.

Edited by latrell

5 hours ago, latrell said:

playing with Milan now the only problem i would have to sell all my full backs to make this work

Yeah as I said, it's more a tactic I'd recommend as a plan B rather than a primary one because there is a lot of risk involved. You're essentially swapping the fullbacks out for an extra striker and a #10 if you're starting from a 4-1-4-1 for instance.

Edited by Mr.FourOneFourOne