Getting striker and wide players more involved?

I have started playing after a long absence (FM2013 was the last version I played) due to a change of job meaning that whilst I'm in the office, there is not much to do, leaving me with loads of free time to play.

Using my current formation has been a huge success for me so far, but I'm not entirely happy with it. As you can see, it has brought me a huge amount of success even though I have very little possession in most games:

I9i6a5o.png

xytHUSt.png

P5B6qlh.jpg

TJnLYGo.jpg

This was with my second string side out

UlWTYu3.jpg

Pre-season friendly

SH7p47a.png

I finished 3rd, 4th, and then won the league. Also won the Champions League, Super Cup and Carabao Cup along the way.

Now, my problem is that whilst the defensive side of the formation is fantastic most of the time, my striker and wide players are struggling to be involved. A lot of my goals are coming from set pieces, either from a long throw to Haaland or Bruno Fernandes delivery to one of my CB's. I'm mostly seeing Sane and Felix getting poor ratings and not really involved. I would like to see them playing more in and around Haaland, making runs into the box.

Which tweaks can I make to attempt to get them playing this way? I sometimes see them making runs but my players will often just pass the ball backwards instead of playing them in, even with 'Pass into space' instruction set too.

This is the formation used. I make a couple of tweaks depending on the opponent and how the match is panning out. 

ANlNnRH.png

And also, is it actually possible to stop the WB's from constantly shooting? They shoot from the most ridiculous positions when there is a perfect opportunity to play the ball across. Why would they even contemplate shooting from this type of position:

hJA8eUs.jpg

Edited by GJF82

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

But whats your actual formation like, with roles, duties and team instructions? 

Didn't realise I had missed it... Edited post to include the tactic. Thanks. 

20 hours ago, GJF82 said:

Why would they even contemplate shooting from this type of position:

To be fair, in that screenshot, Haaland looks offside and your other players are marked, or outside of the penalty area. Ideally you need some runners from midfield to occupy that space between their defence and midfield.

It’s hard to criticise too much though because you’ve obviously been doing quite well with your setup so far. 

The piece of advice I’d give regarding your wide players though would be to try and play narrow instead of wide. I play with a front 3 similar to yours and my wide players are usually my top goal scorers. I have them both set as IFs with an Attack duty. My central striker has a Support duty so the IFs often run beyond the striker and he plays them through on goal. My width comes from my overlapping wing backs. 

Something for you to consider anyway.

Edited by TheGoodRebel

I do not get what you want? You are clearly having a huge amount of success and winning games easily. Why make changes to a winning formula? 

One thing to consider is the overlap instructions you use. They will encourage your wide players to get the ball, hold it and then pass it onto the fullbacks while staying deeper. This will automatically make them less involved in attacking play. Drop it from one side and see what differences in play you see in the build up down each flank, and decide what you like most. Other than that, no reason to propose sweeping changes to a successful formation.

By the way the screenshot vs Liverpool shows a different formation to the one you use here. You defensive option?

And your screenshot is not a good example of not crossing. Haaland is offside so you would likely be cursing for a different reason. The overlap instructions may have an influence on this too. You can check it out. 

14 hours ago, TheGoodRebel said:

To be fair, in that screenshot, Haaland looks offside and your other players are marked, or outside of the penalty area. Ideally you need some runners from midfield to occupy that space between their defence and midfield.

It’s hard to criticise too much though because you’ve obviously been doing quite well with your setup so far. 

The piece of advice I’d give regarding your wide players though would be to try and play narrow instead of wide. I play with a front 3 similar to yours and my wide players are usually my top goal scorers. I have them both set as IFs with an Attack duty. My central striker has a Support duty so the IFs often run beyond the striker and he plays them through on goal. My width comes from my overlapping wing backs. 

Something for you to consider anyway.

Haaland may have been a touch offside but if Chilwell had taken another touch he could have squared it. There are far too many occasions where this happens in my opinion. I get the same from Hakimi on the other side. He tends to dribble right to the byline and shoot into the side netting a lot. And both WB's are set to Cross More Often and Shoot Less.

I'll give it a go with the width set to narrow and see how it goes. What role do you have your striker on? Complete Forward?

12 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I do not get what you want? You are clearly having a huge amount of success and winning games easily. Why make changes to a winning formula? 

One thing to consider is the overlap instructions you use. They will encourage your wide players to get the ball, hold it and then pass it onto the fullbacks while staying deeper. This will automatically make them less involved in attacking play. Drop it from one side and see what differences in play you see in the build up down each flank, and decide what you like most. Other than that, no reason to propose sweeping changes to a successful formation.

By the way the screenshot vs Liverpool shows a different formation to the one you use here. You defensive option?

And your screenshot is not a good example of not crossing. Haaland is offside so you would likely be cursing for a different reason. The overlap instructions may have an influence on this too. You can check it out. 

A am having a lot of success but as I stated, the majority of my goals are coming from corners, free kicks, long throws and as few long shots by Fernandes. Haaland, Jiminez, Joao Felix, Sane, Trincao or whoever I play out wide have poor ratings in nearly all games and I am struggling to get them involved with the play. I want to create more chances for them which is why I am looking for suggestions.

The srikers do get a few one on ones but they always hit it straight at the keeper which as I understand is to do with the match engine this year.

The screenshot vs Liverpool is a more defensive, counter attacking system I use sometimes against very strong teams away from home.

Edited by GJF82

10 hours ago, GJF82 said:

Haaland may have been a touch offside but if Chilwell had taken another touch he could have squared it. There are far too many occasions where this happens in my opinion. I get the same from Hakimi on the other side. He tends to dribble right to the byline and shoot into the side netting a lot. And both WB's are set to Cross More Often and Shoot Less.

I do think there's probably an element of the actual match engine being responsible. However, having taken a look at Chilwell (13) and Hakimi's (12) decison making stats they're not the greatest, nor the worst, so this may be a contributing factor also? 

10 hours ago, GJF82 said:

I'll give it a go with the width set to narrow and see how it goes. What role do you have your striker on? Complete Forward?

I use a Deep Lying Forward with a Support duty. However, I don't see why a Complete Forward, Trequartista or False 9 couldn't work also.

Edited by TheGoodRebel

On 06/04/2020 at 18:29, TheGoodRebel said:

I do think there's probably an element of the actual match engine being responsible. However, having taken a look at Chilwell (13) and Hakimi's (12) decison making stats they're not the greatest, nor the worst, so this may be a contributing factor also? 

I use a Deep Lying Forward with a Support duty. However, I don't see why a Complete Forward, Trequartista or False 9 couldn't work also.

I'll have a little play around with the front three to see if I can get more out of them. Haaland has made a good start to the new season, but most of his goals are coming via headers from corners and free kicks again. He misses loads of chances but always seems to score the ones which are ruled out for offside...