Inputs requested - 442

731330011_A.C.Milan_Overview-3.thumb.png.dd234c5f608727cad5466372fb803521.png

Hey guys, 

I have been using a 442 since FM19, the tactic description, download link, Screenshots etc are here: 

I am referring to the flat 4-4-2 here. Overall, the tactic is very successful and generates some really beautiful pass and move play, with varying routes to goal. That being said, there are areas where I am looking to improve it, so wanted some options from a fresh pair of eyes. I’ve played over 40 seasons with this tactic across Fm 19 and 20, and have reached the point where I am unable to further improve it myself, so th our change for the sake of it. 

i have noticed the following issues:

1. Support striker (currently PF support) and advanced forward barely ever link up, as seen from the passing combinations screen. In theory the support striker should drop deeper and play through balls to the AF but this doesn’t happen. I have tried DLF but the match ratings seem to be even worse. 

2. In CL away games against big teams, especially against 4231, I struggle to keep possession. A lot of rushed passes. The WP ends up with an abysmal pass % at times, clearly attempting too many long passes. I don’t think it makes sense to move the support striker to his side as I want him to have space to operate in. 

3. I played a few fantasy draft games against my friends (who used 4231 and 3511), and lost while playing poorly on defense and attack Both of them are relative newcomers to the game so this obviously kills me. Defended poorly and barely created anything going forward. The WP got poor ratings, where as in most games he would dominate the key passes charts. 

anyway, I wanted your advice on potential ways to improve this tactic, either defensively or offensively or both. For some reason against bigger teams it sometimes doesn’t click and I don’t create much, and I am at odds to explain why. I created a 4411 which somewhat helps but not significantly so, and the football is quite poor compared to the 442. 

I would like to keep the 442 shape if possible, and also to continue using the WP role, as it is my favorite role in game. 

thanks very much in advance. Any tips/inputs/thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Edited by kr10
Added screenshot

I have also been experimenting with this setup:

497653076_A.C.Milan_Overview-8.thumb.png.c328039e69a3002499eb134939b30d9d.png

The main change here is the switch in duties up front (support and attack striker swapped).

The idea here is that the DLF(s) will drop a bit deeper, offering another passing option for the WP. The WP, DLF, CM(d), and CM(s) will form a diamond in possession, with patient build-up play. The idea is to draw the opposition in and then play a killer through ball to one of the 3 attack duty players - fullback on the overlap, winger with a switch of play, or striker through the middle.

The aim is to reduce the amount of unnecessary risky passes made by the WP.

I originally had the AF on the right side, but this was leading to too much turnover of possession by the WP. This was primarily to give the WP more space to operate in. 

Thoughts and feedback most welcome. 

Hi mate. I really like the look of these. I'm trying to create a similar style of 4-4-2 in my Derby County save. Particularly this bit:

3 hours ago, kr10 said:

The WP, DLF, CM(d), and CM(s) will form a diamond in possession, with patient build-up play

Typically my diamond has been formed by my two full backs (IWBs) and my two central midfielders (AP-A/CM-A and a CM-D/DLP-D, only one of thems a playmaker at a time and its personnel dependent). However, with the remergence of @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s Sacchi thread my left back has become a FB-S to improve wide coverage. My TIs are also similar too. The same can be said of my issues, so I'll offer what help I can

15 hours ago, kr10 said:

1. Support striker (currently PF support) and advanced forward barely ever link up, as seen from the passing combinations screen. In theory the support striker should drop deeper and play through balls to the AF but this doesn’t happen. I have tried DLF but the match ratings seem to be even worse.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much more here than an agreement that I'm seeing the same things. I play with a DLF-S and an AF-A in most games and my AF gets played in with through balls relatively often by any player other than my DLF, who seems to get the pre-assist quite often. In games against stronger teams who play more aggressively and higher defensive lines I've changed the DLF to either a P-A, PF-A or another AF-A to good effect. But this only works against such teams. More recently I've tried a Trequartista unsuccessfully and a DLF-A to varying successes.

15 hours ago, kr10 said:

2. In CL away games against big teams, especially against 4231, I struggle to keep possession. A lot of rushed passes. The WP ends up with an abysmal pass % at times, clearly attempting too many long passes. I don’t think it makes sense to move the support striker to his side as I want him to have space to operate in. 

I'm still in the Championship in my save so I haven't encountered any teams of that quality. I definitely have encountered the issues with the 4-2-3-1 and big games. In such matches I play a more basic 4-4-2, sticking to the key principles still. One IWB goes onto a defend duty, both my wide men are wingers and as above my DLF goes to one of the above roles. I also tweak passing directness according to what I see in game.

I can't offer too much guidance on the WP as I've not used one yet in the 4-4-2. In previous years he's played better for me on an attack duty, but this goes back to FM18 at least, so may not be that relevant. 

1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

Hi mate. I really like the look of these. I'm trying to create a similar style of 4-4-2 in my Derby County save. Particularly this bit:

Typically my diamond has been formed by my two full backs (IWBs) and my two central midfielders (AP-A/CM-A and a CM-D/DLP-D, only one of thems a playmaker at a time and its personnel dependent). However, with the remergence of @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s Sacchi thread my left back has become a FB-S to improve wide coverage. My TIs are also similar too. The same can be said of my issues, so I'll offer what help I can

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much more here than an agreement that I'm seeing the same things. I play with a DLF-S and an AF-A in most games and my AF gets played in with through balls relatively often by any player other than my DLF, who seems to get the pre-assist quite often. In games against stronger teams who play more aggressively and higher defensive lines I've changed the DLF to either a P-A, PF-A or another AF-A to good effect. But this only works against such teams. More recently I've tried a Trequartista unsuccessfully and a DLF-A to varying successes.

I'm still in the Championship in my save so I haven't encountered any teams of that quality. I definitely have encountered the issues with the 4-2-3-1 and big games. In such matches I play a more basic 4-4-2, sticking to the key principles still. One IWB goes onto a defend duty, both my wide men are wingers and as above my DLF goes to one of the above roles. I also tweak passing directness according to what I see in game.

I can't offer too much guidance on the WP as I've not used one yet in the 4-4-2. In previous years he's played better for me on an attack duty, but this goes back to FM18 at least, so may not be that relevant. 

Thanks for the reply - anyways I did some experimenting and I found that I prefer the style of play with the DLF(s) on the side of the winger, and the AF on the side on the WP(s) - I found the DLF and WP were playing in essentially the same areas.

I also experimented with an IWB (d) instead of a FB (s), but it wasn't working as intended - he sat too close to the CMs, and instead of helping keep possession, he caused the team to unnecessarily bunch up in the final third. A FB(s) worked better.

The main changes however were in TIs- added in pass shorter, defend narrow, much higher defensive line - the latter 2 instructions are to achieve vertical and horizontal compactness. 

The updated tactic is shown below:

1068239993_A.C.Milan_Overview-9.thumb.png.40e143dd623caf3527eb26a2b8034d3b.png