Getting more out of Ozil

I'm having a decent first season as arsenal with the below set up but I'm getting very little reward out of Ozil.

15 starts

0 goals

1 assist

7.15 rating

not a horrendous rating but someone with his attributes should be doing more. 

Hi PIs are 'sit narrorwer, 'close down more' and 'mark specific position'.

I play a split block with the front four all closing down more and the two wide players marking the opposition FBs/WBs. I feel with Ozil's low work rate this maybe detrimental for him but I'm wondering is there anything I could do to get more out of him before I completely re work the AML position in my side?

fm20.PNG

How many touches and passes does he average a game? Is he involved enough? By changing Xhaka to a DM-D and Luiz to a BPD he will probably see more of the ball earlier (in transition play) and have more space.

I would also loose pass into space and play out of defence, and distrib to cb's instead. By doing that you will still pass out of the back without giving away the ball needlessly and be able to release early to Özil.

Edited by Vizzini
More content.

cheers will try the xhaka/luiz change. i often change the dp-d to a dm-d in tougher games but never use a bp-d.

i'm reluctant to lose 'pass into space' as it has worked well for me so far.

my gut feel is that an AP in the ozil mould especially is probably just not a great fit for this set up and i will probably get more by using someone like saka there as a W-S.

at half time in my current game v west ham at home ozil touched the ball 61 times compared to pepe's 145 times. bringing him into play is clearly the issue.

Edited by alittletoojack

ozil's low work rate and stamina combined with his relative slower pace probably means he will be not as effective playing out wide.  if u are still getting good results with this formation, then i dun think u need to change too much.

i will actually suggest to play a 442 diamond midfield for arsenal instead. in arsenal u have 3 hard working defensive minded midfielders which will help cover the wide spaces and ozil can play behind 2 strikers in the no.10 slot. pepe can act as a rotation player for the front 3, bellerin and tierney will be good enough to hold on their own on the flanks.

5 hours ago, alittletoojack said:

not a horrendous rating but someone with his attributes should be doing more

Playmakers usually contribute more with key passes than direct assists. And given that his average rating (7.15) is very good IMHO, I assume that he provides a fair number of those key passes. 

5 hours ago, alittletoojack said:

Hi PIs are 'sit narrorwer, 'close down more' and 'mark specific position'

Not sure if the marking PI is  good idea btw. Roam from position would make a lot more sense, taking both the role and the player himself into account. 

On 10/04/2020 at 19:53, Djuicer said:

DLP on the same side of the pitch ain't probably doing Özil any services. Maybe a regular DM will suffice?

it was a poor screenshot on my behalf. i normally do choose a DM-D in that role. I was just seeing in that particular game where a DLP-D would infact feed ozil more but that didn't seem to be the case.

On 10/04/2020 at 19:02, Experienced Defender said:

Playmakers usually contribute more with key passes than direct assists. And given that his average rating (7.15) is very good IMHO, I assume that he provides a fair number of those key passes. 

Not sure if the marking PI is  good idea btw. Roam from position would make a lot more sense, taking both the role and the player himself into account. 

ok will take this into account. he has the third highest key passes in the league this season and is top 25 in the league for chances created so maybe i was being a little hasty.

the marking PI for me is all about maintaining defensive shape in a quite attacking formation and has been very good to me so far. maybe ozil isn't as much of an issue tho to me as i first thought. i do like the roam position PI tho so will take a look at this.

On 10/04/2020 at 20:02, Experienced Defender said:

Aint that more related to where on the pitch the playmaker plays? 

Deeper = less assist and more key passes? the higher up the playmaker is supposed to be, you will demand more points overall?

Positioning of the playmaker and expectations. +IRL examples

DM strata, dictating play. Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Jorginho

CM strata, dictating and killer balls. Thiago Alcantara, Toni Kroos, Marcelo Brozovic

AM strata, killer balls. Özil, Mata, Isco

Generally speaking ofc.

16 hours ago, Djuicer said:

Aint that more related to where on the pitch the playmaker plays? 

Deeper = less assist and more key passes? the higher up the playmaker is supposed to be, you will demand more points overall?

Positioning of the playmaker and expectations. +IRL examples

DM strata, dictating play. Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Jorginho

CM strata, dictating and killer balls. Thiago Alcantara, Toni Kroos, Marcelo Brozovic

AM strata, killer balls. Özil, Mata, Isco

Generally speaking ofc.

Roughly speaking, the position of a playmaker should have an effect on whether he'll provide more of this or that kind of passes (key passes, created chances or direct assists), but the point of my remark was that there is no rule that says that a playmaker must have a certain number (or ratio) of goal assists in order to be considered "successful" in terms of his overall performance.