East Stirling dominating Rangers and Celtic -Is this a dream??

Dark_Soccer

This forum over the year or so I have been here has had some really great stories written by great writers. For example the stories written by Raptor, Dixie Flatline and Andrew Downing to name a few. Reading their stories have inspired me to write one of my own which starts just like Andrew Downing's Elgin City story but i start off managing East Stirlingshire. icon_eek.gif

Can i reach Andrew's excellent achievement with Elgin City?? I dont know but read on and find out icon_biggrin.gif

Author Note: Leagues running are Australia(National Soccer League Only), England (First Division and Above), France (Second League and Above), Germany (Second Division and Above), Italy (Serie B and Above), Scotland (Third Division and Above), Spain (Second Division and Above).

To start i have collected the general information that CM gives me about East Stirlingshire.

Nation: Scotland

Finances: Okay(10K in the bank-no transfer funds)

Stadium: Firs Park, Falkirk (1632 (280 seated))

Training Ground: Adequate

Division: Division 3

Continental Competition: None

5th of July 2003

There I was taking a tour of Firs Park (East Stirlingshire Stadium). I was in Scotland on my holiday from Australia. During my tour around the ground i bumped into the chairman and after a brief chat he asked me to come to his office. By the time I noticed what was going on I had signed a contract and become the manager of East Stirling. icon_eek.gif

The chairman started off telling me that he expects me to invest and rebuild the squad this season. He continues by saying that he cannot offer me any tranfer funds to strengthen the squad at the moment because the club is close to going into the red. I will be looking for free transfers to bolster my squad in a few key areas.

Next i take a look at my squad or lack of it icon_wink.gif....

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This forum over the year or so I have been here has had some really great stories written by great writers. For example the stories written by Raptor, Dixie Flatline and Andrew Downing to name a few. Reading their stories have inspired me to write one of my own which starts just like Andrew Downing's Elgin City story but i start off managing East Stirlingshire. icon_eek.gif

Can i reach Andrew's excellent achievement with Elgin City?? I dont know but read on and find out icon_biggrin.gif

Author Note: Leagues running are Australia(National Soccer League Only), England (First Division and Above), France (Second League and Above), Germany (Second Division and Above), Italy (Serie B and Above), Scotland (Third Division and Above), Spain (Second Division and Above).

To start i have collected the general information that CM gives me about East Stirlingshire.

Nation: Scotland

Finances: Okay(10K in the bank-no transfer funds)

Stadium: Firs Park, Falkirk (1632 (280 seated))

Training Ground: Adequate

Division: Division 3

Continental Competition: None

5th of July 2003

There I was taking a tour of Firs Park (East Stirlingshire Stadium). I was in Scotland on my holiday from Australia. During my tour around the ground i bumped into the chairman and after a brief chat he asked me to come to his office. By the time I noticed what was going on I had signed a contract and become the manager of East Stirling. icon_eek.gif

The chairman started off telling me that he expects me to invest and rebuild the squad this season. He continues by saying that he cannot offer me any tranfer funds to strengthen the squad at the moment because the club is close to going into the red. I will be looking for free transfers to bolster my squad in a few key areas.

Next i take a look at my squad or lack of it icon_wink.gif....

Thanks for the kind words guys except for the cancer icon_wink.gif

Goalkeepers (2):

Jon Connolly (22 y/o, Scottish)

It’s his first season at the club and hopefully he will continue for many years to come. He has excellent reflexes and his bravery is second to none. My first choice goalkeeper for the upcoming season

Chris Todd (21 y/o, Scottish)Chris has been at the club since he turned eighteen years old. He is a very determined and a brave young goalkeeper. While Jon Connolly is fit Chris will be warming the bench.

Defenders (6):

Graeme McLaren (19 y/o, Scottish, DL)The only left back at East Stirling. Since season 2001/02 he has played thirty six matches scoring two goals for the club. Graeme has great acceleration and pace but his control on the ball needs work. He will be slotting in to the left back position in the first team until I can bring in a better replacement.

Graham McGhee (21 y/o, Scottish, DC)Since Graham was brought in from Clyde in season 1999/00 he has featured heavily in the first team’s plans. He has played sixty two games scoring one goal for the club. He is my best centre back in the squad and will be playing all season unless injury strikes.

Craig Reid (19 y/o, Scottish, DC)

Craig came from Falkirk at the end of the 2001/2002 season and only featured seven times last season. He is strong in the air and has a high work rate. He should feature in the first team unless I can strengthen the centre back position before the start of the season.

Stephen Oates (19 y/o, Scottish, DC)How Stephen got into the first team I don’t know. He has poor control and passing skills though his determination and team work may get him a spot on the bench until a better centre back can be found.

Gary McCulloch (19 y/o, Scottish, DR)Since being promoted from the youth academy last season this promising young defender has impressed. He is never worried about committing to a tackle and won’t ever back down when the ball can be won.

Roddy Maughan (22 y/o, Scottish, DR)This twenty two year old defender will be my second choice at right back. He is a very determined player but his foot skills let him down.

Next i look at my talented or should i say untalented midfielders and strikers....

Best wishes on the attempt -- I have enjoyed managing East Stirling in the last several versions of CM (not this time around- so far at least). It is a challenge and I will enjoy following along icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your comments Faramir and your right this will defiently be a challenge but im up for it icon_cool.gif

Midfielders (8):

Chris Baldwin (19 y/o, Scottish, ML)

The only left midfielder at the club but only featured six times for the first team last season. He has poor crossing ability but his electrifying pace which allows him to beat defenders. He will be in the first team playing on the left side of the midfield unless I can bring in another player before the season starts.

Jamie Mackay (21 y/o, Scottish, DM)

He played for Clydebank back in season 1999/00 before East Stirling swooped for him and his services. Over the last few seasons he has played thirty seven games but hasn’t opened his account for the club. He has great balance and strength on the ball which has impressed me and the club’s coaching staff.

Jordan Leishman (23 y/o, Scottish, CM)

One of the most experienced midfielders in the squad. His play on the ball is questionable but his work rate off the ball is excellent. Jordan is on the brink of the first team and if he impresses me in the preseason he may just start in the opening match of the season.

Dougie Polwart (22 y/o, Scottish, CM)Dougie only just joined the club two months before I was appointed manager. My coaching staff seems to think he could hold down a place in the first team. I will see how he performs during the preseason.

Robert Hare (23 y/o, Scottish, CM)Another one of those players where I have to ask myself how did he ever get to play for this club. He will be placed on the transfer list immediately and I will go looking in the transfer market for a replacement.

Sean McAuley (23 y/o, Scottish, CM)

He is defiantly will be the architect of the team with his sublime passing skills. After he joined from Clyde in season 2000/01 he has played sixty six times and scored four goals for the club. No doubt about Sean’s skills and he will feature in all the games this season.

Gerry Boyle (21 y/o, Scottish, AM/F RC)Gerry is one of the players in the team which adds some flexibility to the midfield and the forward line if he is needed. Not the most skilled player in the team but his determination and bravery could get him very far in this league.

Scott Livingstone (23 y/o, Scottish, MR)Scott is the one of those wingers that you wish you could have playing for you every match. He has excellent pace and can burst past any defender with his good balance and control on the ball. Scott will be my numero uno on the right hand side of midfield this season.

Strikers (3):

Stuart Kelly (21 y/o, Scottish, SC)

Stuart has been at the club since the start of last season and contributed three goals in sixteen starts. He has excellent skills when to one on one opportunities with goalkeepers and can tuck away a penalty with no problems. He will be very key to my plans this season.

Derek Ure (18 y/o, Scottish, SC)

For the last two seasons East Stirling have had this young forward with electrifying pace. He has played forty seven games for the club but has scored only four goals. My coaching staff feel he has the ability to become the leading scorer in this division and I share their view. Derek will be a important member of the first team this season.

Paul Rodden (20 y/o, Scottish, SC)

My coaching staff seem to rate this player very highly but I am not convinced of his ability from what I have seen. He will have to perform well in the preseason friendlies to get a start in the first team when the season starts. Otherwise he will be on the bench for most of the season.

Read on to see where i am going to try and strengthen the squad and my preseason cup which i will have every preseason!

6th of July 2003

The first thing I did once I had assessed the squad was delve into the transfer market. I felt the squad needed a new centre back, left midfielder and a striker to have a chance of pushing for promototion.

I found a great left midfielder by the name of Gordon Lappin (22 y/o, Scottish, ML) who was transfer listed by his club Queens Park. They were asking £0 for him which was in my price range. I sent an offer to Queens Park and waited for their response.

There was no one else on the transfer list which I could afford so I turned my attention to the loan deals. I found James White (23 y/o, Scottish, DC) who was in the Elgin City reserves. I offered a three month loan deal which includes a clause to buy him for £0 if he performed well for my club.

The league cup draw was announced today with East Stirling hitting a division one team in the first round. East Stirling has been drawn against St Johnstone. The match was scheduled to be played on the 2nd of September 2003 at McDiarmid Park.

The challenge cup was also drawn today. The draw was much kinder to the club this time giving us an away game against Arbroath(division 2). The match was to be played on the 2nd of August at Gayfield Park.

7th of July 2003

Today I got in contact with two Scottish non league teams and one division two side to see if they would like to feature in my East Stirling Cup 2003(preseason cup). The three clubs Edinburgh City, Kelso United and Arbroath. All the three clubs accepted my proposal for the cup and the cup has been scheduled for the 18th-20th of July.

My bid for Gordon Lappin was accepted and I offered a contract straight away. I wait on his response.

On a negative note my loan deal was rejected by Elgin but I will try to renegotiate because I really feel James White could fit into the team perfectly.

9th of July 2003

Gordon Lappin accepted his contract of £60 per week and joined us until 30th of June 2007

Gordon Lappin (22 y/o, Scottish, ML)

Gordon was placed on the transfer list this season and I believe he was one of the steals of the year. He has excellent pace and a dangerous right foot. He only played four times in the last two seasons for his previous club, Queens Park. He should slot into the left midfielder spot in the first team.

16th of July 2003

The last week past me by without me even realising. In a remarkable back flip Elgin City had put their defender, James White, on the transfer list. They were asking for £0 so I predictably put in a bid.

Next the preseason cup.....and coming soon the start of the season!!

18th of July 2003

Elgin City accepted my offer for James White and allowed me to discuss a contract with him. I offered him a contract of £50 per week until 1st of July 2006.

The first game of the East Stirling Cup 2003 was played today. Arbroath came away as four nil winners against Edinburgh City with all the goals coming in the first thirty five minutes of the game.

Later on that day my big moment finally arrived with our match about to kick off against Kelso United.

East Stirling Cup 2003: Game 1-East Stirling V Kelso United

The referee, David Somers, blew his whistle and my first competitive match as East Stirling manager was underway.

My day couldn’t have started any worse after only six minutes Kelso United was awarded a penalty after a clumsy tackle by Leishman. Grant smashed the ball into the roof of the net from the penalty and we were one nil down. The offside flag stopped us from going further behind on the twenty eighth minute after Quinn beat the offside trap. The first half came to a close with my team having a few half chances but still going in to the break a goal down.

Around the sixty minute mark I made three substitutions and it almost brought about a goal but for the Kelso United keeper who was equal to it and pushed it over for a corner. A quick release of the ball by our keeper, Connolly, allowed the ball to get to Baldwin who played a super fifty yard ball just in front of Robben and he blasted it past the Kelso United keeper to bring us level on the sixty seventh minute. Robben almost stole all three points with a lob which just cleared the cross bar in the last minute.

East Stirling (4-4-2) Connolly©; McCulloh; McLaren; McGhee; Reid (Oates 63); Baldwin; Lappin; Livingstone (McAuley 63); Leishman; Kelly; Ure (Robben 63)

Final Score: East Stirling 1:1 Kelso United

MoM-David Jack (Kelso United) Rating 7

That result meant we were two points behind Arbroath after the first game but we still had to play them so anything could happen. I wasn’t very pleased with the performance but I could take to heart that my two wingers Baldwin and Lappin were proving talented players.

After the game my physio, L.Gillogly, reported that Kelly had a thigh strain and would be out for one day.

18th of July 2003

Just before my match with Edinburgh City a new manager was appointed by Tottenham Hotspur. Ruud Gullit was the man to land the Spurs hot seat for this up and coming season. All my best wishes to him though I don’t really like Spurs.

East Stirling Cup 2003: Game 2-East Stirling V Edinburgh City

In the seventeenth minute we almost take the lead through Ure but he is denied by a diving goalkeeper. Six minutes later a long ball found Martin and we were behind after controlling almost all the possession. Seven minutes later we equalised through Kelly after taking a throw quickly and taking advantage of a lack lustre defence. Just before the half time break Edinburgh almost retook the lead but thanks to great goalkeeping by Connolly we stayed level.

The second half was full of half chances and yellow cards. The score didn’t change and we drew another game against lower league opposition.

East Stirling (4-4-2) Connolly©; McCulloh; McLaren; McGhee (Oates 62); Reid; Baldwin; Lappin; Livingstone ;Leishman (Mackay 62); Kelly (Robben 62); Ure

Final Score: East Stirling 1:1 Edinburgh City

MoM-Jon Connolly (East Stirling) Rating 8

Another draw and the only thing pleasing out of this game is the form of our goalkeeper Connolly. He scored a rating of 8 and man of the match against Edinburgh City.

My physio has some bad news after the game telling me that Paul Rodden was out of action for three weeks with a groin strain. That’s bad luck for him and for the team but he should be back for the third league game against Cowdenbeath.

Later on that day Arbroath won the East Stirling Cup 2003 with a less than convincing one nil win against Kelso United. Arbroath are now on six points with my team the closest to them with only two points. The last game in this preseason cup will be against Arbroath and since it is a dead rubber I may rest some first team players.

Next the last preseason cup matches and the up and coming season

20th of July 2003

East Stirling Cup 2003: Game 3-East Stirling V Arbroath

Arbroath almost take the lead in the twenty fifth minute but the shot is straight at Connolly. The ball is quite congested in midfield and the rest of the half doesn’t produce any good chances.

The second half was different to the first as goals were actually scored. A great chance is carved out for Boyle. A quick throw by McLaren to Lappin on the left wing. Lappin picks out Boyle who can only manage a tame header into the hands of the Arbroath keeper. Arbroath take the lead with Durno taking advantage of Connolly’s inability to hold a long range shot by tapping the ball past the helpless keeper into the net. In the last minute of the game Arbroath seal the win through an unstoppable header by McLaren (not my team member).

East Stirling (4-4-2) Connolly©; Maughan; McLaren; McGhee (Reid 64); Oates; Baldwin; Lappin; McAuley ;Leishman (Polwart 64); Boyle; Ure (Kelly 64)

Final Score: East Stirling 1:1 Edinburgh City

MoM-John Cusik (Arbroath) Rating 7

In my way of thinking that wasn’t a bad result since they were a division above us. It gives me hope that we have half a chance of advancing past Arbroath in the first round of the Challenge Cup

Later on I heard the news that Edinburgh City’s edged out Kelso United three two. This adds more salt into the wound as now we are left in third position as our final standing. The East Stirling Cup 2004 waits to be captured by its rightful owners (East Stirling).

East Stirling Cup 2003 Final Standings

3 games were played in this Cup:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Won Drn Lost For Ag GD Pts

1st Arbroath 3 0 0 7 0 +7 9

2nd Edinburgh City 1 1 1 4 7 -3 4

3rd East Stirling 0 2 1 2 4 -2 2

4th Kelso United 0 1 2 3 5 -2 1

</pre>

22nd of July

Finally I have landed my man. James White (23y/o, Scottish, DC) has been transferred from Elgin City to East Stirling for £0. I am ecstatic that I have finally landed more defensive cover because Oates didn’t play that well in the preseason cup.

Peterhead faxed me a bid of £2,000 for Jamie Mackay. He only played one game in the preseason but I think he has the ability to step up this season. I tell Peterhead that they will have to look elsewhere for a realistic transfer target.

23rd of July 2003

Today Cleland (assistant manager) walks into my small but cosy office and shows me a list of my squad which are in the last year of their contracts. I was shocked almost the whole team was in their last year. I offered new contracts to Graham McGhee, Paul Rodden, Sean McAuley, Rodden Maughan, Stuart Kelly, Jordan Leishman, Jamie Mackay, Scott Livingstone, Chris Todd, Derek Ure, Gerry Boyle, Craig Reid, Stephen Oates, Chris Baldwin, Graeme McLaren, Gary McCulloh, Jon Connolly and Dougie Polwart. The only player not to receive a new contract was Robert Hare as he is placed on the transfer list.

I ask Hiberian if they will allow me to take their young striker, Alan Reid on loan for the season. I await for their response.

24th of July 2003

Stephen Oates accepts his new contract and is now contracted to the club until 30th of June 2005.

25th of July 2003

Derek Ure, Scott Livingstone, Stuart Kelly, Paul Rodden, Roddy Maughan, Dougie Polwart, Craig Reid and Gerry Boyle accept their new contracts to keep them at the club until 30th June 2005.

26th of July 2003

Graham McGhee, Sean McAuley, Jon Connolly, Chris Baldwin, Jamie Mackay all accept their contact offers and are now contracted to the club until 30th of June 2006.

My loan bid for Alan Reid has been rejected by Hiberian but I will try to renegotiate with them.

5 days till the start of the season with our Challenge Cup 1st Round match against Arbroath

[This message was edited by Raptor on 26 March 2004 at 9:32.]

Thanks for that Raptor i hate stories without a clear structure makes it a chore to read...well in my opinion anyway icon_biggrin.gif....and Raptor could you fix up that table in my above post please!

27th of July 2003

Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, Chris Todd and Jordan Leishman accept their new contracts and are now contracted to stay with the club until 30th June 2006.

Elgin City makes a bid to loan Alan Reid for three months. There is no way I am letting my third division rivals get Reid. I will fight tooth and nail to get the loan deal secured for East Stirling.

The Third Division promotion odds were released today. The pundits think that Cowdenbeath (4-6) is the hot favourite to clinch the division followed by Albion Rovers (4-5), Stranraer (4-5), Stirling (5-4), Peterhead (6-4) and Queens Park (7-4). The pundits seem to think there is no point us playing this season because we don’t have quality enough to finish at any other position then bottom of the league. Let’s just see where we are at the end of the season shall we?

Dumbarton has also made a loan bid to Hiberian for the services of Alan Reid for the upcoming season. The competition for this young star’s services this season look to be hotting up.

I make a bid for a young twenty year old goalkeeper at Montrose. His name is Michael Hankinson and he seems to have potential and is listed at the cheap price of £0. He will most likely be a backup for my substitute keeper, Chris Todd, but having three keepers is something I think we need at this club.

2nd of August 2003

Just before the match with Arbroath I learn that Dumbarton has won the battle for Alan Reid’s services. Reid will be applying his trade for the division two club for the next three months.

August 2nd, 2003 Challenge Cup 1st Round (a)

Arbroath V East Stirling

Arbroath Challenge Cup Form-No games played

East Stirling Challenge Cup Form-No games played

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, Graham McGhee, James White- Chris Baldwin, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Craig Reid, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Gerry Boyle

A nightmare start for us being one nil down after only seventeen minutes. A long ball finding Robbie Duncanson and he hammered it past Connolly to put us behind. Almost a carbon copy of the first goal happened on the twenty second minute with the same goal scorer and we were on the brink of a hammering. James White’s debut turned into a nightmare after he was called for pushing in the penalty area. Duncanson stepped up and could have completed his hat-trick in less than half an hour but he put the penalty wide of the left upright.

During the break I revved the players up but made it clear i would like at least some respectibility in the score line. Stuart Kelly almost obliged straight from the kick off but his header went just wide. Winning(Arbroath player) put the game out of doubt for Arbroath or so I thought but the offside flag was up and it was game on. Winning eventually sealed the game for Arbroath scoring in the sixty seventh minute and sending us out of the Challenge Cup at the first hurdle.

Arbroath 3:0 East Stirling

Goals: Robbie Duncanson (2), Jamie Winning (1)

MoM: Greig Denham (Arbroath) Rating-8

Subs: Goyle on for Derek Ure (62’), Polwart on for Mackay (62`), Leishman on for Baldwin (62`)

Booked: -

Sent Off: -

Stadium: Gayfield Park

Attendance: 1537

This match was a good reality check of where we are at before the season even starts. I can see we don’t have the quality in the squad to compete with division two teams yet. If we were to be promoted I think the preseason would be full of transfer activity but let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

One positive of the match was we were given £2,000 for losing the match. A bit weird to me being given money for losing a match unless that is half the attendance money??

A week before our first match in the Third Division against Peterhead. I am confident we will have a new striker brought to East Stirling before that match.

The season is very close to starting now....stay tuned for the first league match and beyond...The season is very close to starting now....stay tuned for the first league match and beyond...

3rd of August 2003

After a quick look at the loan listed players I found another young defender who looks to have a promising future. His name is Michael Stewart and he is currently contracted to Montrose. I fax the club a loan deal to bring Michael to the club for the rest of the season and a clause to buy him for £0 if he performs.

I seem to be looking at taking a few players from Montrose. Michael Hankinson the young goalkeeper I was thinking about bringing to the club has had his club allow me to speak to him in regards to a contract. He didn’t seem like he wanted to come to East Stirling but I offered him a contract anyway and I will wait to hear from him.

Today the Italian Super Cup was played with Juventus playing AC Milan. Ninety minutes of playing time after the referee blew the whistle to start the match it ended as a seven goal thriller. Juventus just edged out Milan winning four three and taking their first silverware of the season.

4th of August 2003

Stranraer come knocking on the door asking about an East Stirling player. Mark McGhee is the player that they are enquiring about. I tell them that Mark is a key component in our team and that he wont be sold for any price.

6th of August 2003

My loan bid for Michael Stewart is rejected by Montrose. I try an outrageous bid of £0 for Michael. I may just get lucky and Montrose may accept though I doubt it.

7th of August 2003

Michael Hankinson becomes an East Stirling player and he is the third goalkeeper in the squad. He joined for £50 per week until 30th of June 2006.

Michael Hankinson(20 y/o, Scottish, GK)

Michael has been with Montrose for almost two seasons. He only played one first team game for Montrose in that time. I brought him into East Stirling because i feel he has the ability to develope into a great keeper and he will be a good backup for Connolly and Todd

9th of August 2003

Our first match of the season and it’s at home against Peterhead.

August 9th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 1 (h)

East Stirling V Peterhead

East Stirling League Form-No games played

Peterhead League Form-No games played

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, Graham McGhee, Craig Reid- Chris Baldwin, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Scott Livingstone- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), James White, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Paul Rodden

My physio has inaccurately judged how serious Paul Rodden's injury was and how long that it would keep him out. Paul is almost fully fit and will start on the bench

After fifteen minutes the match has become very frustrating. There has been a few chances to each team but neither team’s forwards could hit the target. Peterhead’s manger would have been extremely disappointed when his forward Johnston missed a sitter after Connolly spilt a long range shot.

Stuart Kelly had a small injury preventing him from playing at his best in the first half. To not worsen the injury I took Kelly off at half time and brought on Paul Rodden. The second half had Peterhead completely dominate the match but couldn’t turn there large amount of possession and there eleven shots into any goals. How we escaped this game with a point I’ll never know but I am happy with the way grit and determination the players showed to hold Peterhead to a draw

At the end of the match my physio reported to me that Stuart Kelly would be out with three weeks with a groin strain. I really hope he is wrong with this as well and that Stuart will be back sooner.

East Stirling 0:0 Peterhead

Goals: -

MoM: Mark Perry (Peterhead) Rating-8

Subs: Rodden on for Kelly (45’), White on for McGhee (62’), McAuley on for Leishman (62’)

Booked: McGhee, Reid, White, Leishman

Stadium: Firs Park

Attendance: 1415

It was goals galore this week in division three. Seventeen goals were scored in five matches with the largest score being Stirling’s five nil home demolition of Elgin City.

Just after the match I was told Montrose did accept my £0 bid for Michael Stewart. I wasted no time in contacting Michael with my contract offer.

1st match has been played and the season is about to be in full swing more updates soon

Raptor could you delete that small post above...how that got there i dont know icon_confused.gif

10th of August 2003

The English Community Shield was fought out today between two great rivals, Manchester United and Arsenal. United got off to a dream start with Ryan Giggs scoring after only twelve minutes. Arsenal got back on level terms just before the break with Kanu showing he can still put the ball in the back of the net. Ruud Van Nistelrooy put United two one up ten minutes later. United’s Community Shield victory was sealed two minutes before time with Diego Forlan scoring his first goal this season. Sir Alex Ferguson and his players celebrated winning early silverware but they know that Arsenal will be a threat to them retaining their title this season.

12th of August 2003

Michael Stewart completed his transfer from Montrose to East Stirling today. He has agreed on a £60 per week until 30th June 2006.

Michael Stewart (19 y/o, Scottish, DC)

The young central defender’s future looks bright and joining East Stirling should get him more game time. Michael is very brave and determined and I have never seen anyone who can jump as high as he can when he meets a header.

The Scottish Challenge Cup 2nd Round was played today. The main upset came in the match between Gretna and Inverness C. Thistle. Gretna stunned the division one side after keeping them scoring in the ninety minutes of regulation time and then scoring the only goal of the match in the first half of extra time.

16th of August 2003

After a draw against Peterhead our second match is away to Elgin City.

August 16th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 2 (a)

Elgin City V East Stirling

Elgin City League Form-D

East Stirling League Form-L

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid- Chris Baldwin, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Scott Livingstone- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Gerry Boyle

Elgin scores with the first real attack of the game. After a sweeping move which involved almost all eleven players McLean put the ball past Connolly and into the right bottom corner of the net. Elgin’s lead stays at one after great keeping by Connolly to keep Bane’s shot out. From the resulting corner bad marking allows Hind to stoop to the near post unmarked to give Connolly no chance. It ends two nil at the break.

There were no chances to speak of until the eighty fourth minute. Baldwin beats his defender and runs down the wing before delivering a telling cross on to the head of substitute Boyle. Boyle gives the Elgin keeper no chance and East Stirling is back into the game. Unfortunately for us that is also the way the score stays.

After the match my physio reports to me about Chris Baldwin’s injury. He picked up a calf strain and will be out for two weeks.

Elgin City 2:1 East Stirling

Elgin City Goals: David Hind (1), Charles McLean (1)

East Stirling Goals: Gerry Boyle (1)

MoM: David Hind (Elgin City) Rating-9

Subs: Boyle on for Rodden (62’), Stewart on for Reid (62’), Leishman on for Livingstone (62’)

Stadium: Borrough Briggs

Attendance: 1537

That result has left us ninth after two matches. The only team to keep a one hundred percent record after two games is Gretna. Gretna defeated Stranraer on the road three one and thumped Stirling five two at home.

20th of August 2003

I got in contact with Queens Park and gave them a £0 offer for their attacking right midfielder/forward Ross Jackson.

22nd of August 2003

Queen’s Park accepted my offer for Ross Jackson and gave me permission to discuss a contract with him. I talked to him and he was excited about playing for our club so I offered him a contract and let him sleep on it.

This wasnt the start i was dreaming of hence the title icon_wink.gifbut i can always dream icon_biggrin.gif more updates to come

Thanks alot Super_Gord icon_smile.gif i hope your enjoying it as much as i am enjoying writing it(and i am enjoying writing it icon_wink.gif)

23rd of August 2003

Our second away match in a row pits us against Cowdenbeath

August 23rd, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 3 (a)

Cowdenbeath V East Stirling

Cowdenbeath League Form-LW

East Stirling League Form-LD

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, Graham McGhee, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), James White, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Gerry Boyle

I replaced the injured Chris Baldwin with Jamie Mackay. I switched Livingstone out to the right of midfield and Mackay to the centre.

Cowdenbeath take a deserved lead after only seven minutes with Shields powering the ball past Connolly into the far corner. We keep pushing and pushing to try and steal a goal and level the game. Ten minutes later we get our chance when Ure does a great pass out to the right wing but the cross from Livingstone wasn’t converted by Rodden. The first half passes without any other shots on target by either team.

Shields is put through by a sublime ball but blasts it over from close range. I couldn’t believe it, we were one nil down with thirty seconds to play. McAuley gets played through one on one with the goalkeeper and he slammed the ball past the on coming keeper into the net. The team celebration was cut short because of an offside flag and we were condemned to another defeat and it has left us sitting in bottom position in the league.

Cowdenbeath 1:0 East Stirling

Cowdenbeath Goal(s): Shields (1)

East Stirling Goal(s): -

MoM: Iain Mauchlen (Cowdenbeath)

Subs: Stewart on for Reid (62’), Boyle on for Rodden (62’), Polwart on for Mackay (62’)

Booked: Livingstone

Stadium: Central Park

Attendance: 1688

After three games we still haven’t had a win and speaking for myself and the players I just want to know will a win in the league ever come? Maybe it will come in our next home game against Queens Park.

25th of August 2003

Ross Jackson has signed for East Stirling and is contracted to the club until 30th June 2006 on £50 per week.

Ross Jackson (23y/o, Scottish, AM/F®)

I brought in Jackson to strengthen the right hand side of midfield. Ross has great agility, balance and he will be our new set piece taker. He will hopefully take division three by storm and he should be with the club until 2006.

26th of August 2003

I offered a loan deal to a Rangers reserve player. His name is Hamed Namouchi and he is a French attacking midfielder. Rangers have accepted my offer and I am just waiting to see if Hamed will come and play for East Stirling till the end of the season.

The Challenge Cup Third Round was played today with all the teams who were favoured to progress did so. The semi final matches have Montrose hosting Gretna and Brechin travelling to play Clyde. It is certain that the final will be played out between a division one and a division three side.

More to come with the league match against Queens Park and the Cup game away to St Johnstone

29th of August 2003

Namouchi told his club, Rangers, to inform us that he has no intention on going on loan to a division three side and if he did it wouldn’t be East Stirling he would be going too.

The European Super Cup was played tonight. This match brought together last season’s Champions League Winner, Milan, and the UEFA Cup holders in Porto. Kaka put the red half of Milan in front just before the half hour. On the seventh minute mark Nuno Valente scored a priceless goal to level the game for the Portuguese side. Fate was against Porto as they conceded a goal in the last minute of stoppage time when Rivaldo was left unmarked in the area and he volleyed the ball past Baia and into the net. Milan take the European Super Cup after disposing of Porto two one.

30th of August 2003

Our second home match of the season pits us against Queens Park.

August 30th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 4 (h)

East Stirling V Queens Park

East Stirling League Form-LLD

Queens Park League Form-LDW

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Ross Jackson, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Stuart Kelly

Ross Jackson was put straight into the first team line up and I will be really interested into seeing how he goes into today’s match.

On the twentieth minute a Jackson corner wasn’t punched away by the keeper and Ure capitalised by heading it into the open net. Finally East Stirling had a lead in a game. The first half ends and that goal was one of the only shots on target to speak of.

Connolly is forced to acrobatically tip a powerful shot around the post in the fifty first minute after a defensive lap by James White. A dead ball situation on the half way line results in a goal. Michael Stewart lobs a hopefully long ball up the pitch and the Queens Park defence don’t seem to see any danger. Leishman gets between the defence and the keeper and heads the ball into the net to make it game set and match to East Stirling. Lappin almost makes it three nil in the last minute but blazes his shot over the cross bar.

East Stirling 2:0 Queens Park

East Stirling Goals: Ure, Leishman

Queens Park Goals:-

MoM: Craig Reid (East Stirling) Rating-8

Subs: Stewart on for White (67’), Kelly on for Rodden (67’), Leishman on for Mackay (67’)

Booked: White, Ure, Murdoch (Queens Park)

Attendance: 1407

Our first win of the season was a relief and i can see this club winning many more if we continue to play the way we did today.

Ross Jackson played a good game receiving a rating of 7. It was his corner kick which allowed Ure to score the first goal of the game.

The transfer deadline for all Scottish clubs begins tonight.

We have our first win next we need to win two in a row!

1st of September 2003

The first day of the new month and awards are presented to players in the Scottish Division 3.

Cowdenbeath’s playmaker, Iain Mauchlen, was named Scottish Third Division Player of the Month after a number of vintage performances in the last few games.

The Scottish Young Player of the Month was given to Albion Rover’s, Graeme McCaul because of his impressive two goals in his last four league games.

The Scottish Division Three Manager of the Month went to the Peterhead boss, Ian Wilson, after he led his team to four victories in their four matches this month.

2nd of September 2003

The first round of the League Cup was scheduled to be played today. Our first round match is away to St Johnstone of Division One.

September 2nd, 2003 Scottish League Cup 1st Round (a)

St Johnstone V East Stirling

East Stirling (4-4-2) Michael Hankinson- Roddy Maughan ©, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Ross Jackson, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Dougie Polwart- Paul Rodden, Gerry Boyle

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Jamie Mackay, Stuart Kelly

I gave a few first team players a rest for this match and giving a debut to my new keeper Michael Hankinson.

St Johnstone attacks from the off but fail to make any dents in our defence until the seventeenth minute when a stooping MacDonald heads his team into a one nil lead. Four minutes later the lead is doubled when Parker beats the offside trap and lobs the advancing Hankinson.

A clever move in the second half creates St Johnstone’s third and sealing goal. A clever cross from the right side of midfield gives MacDonald his second goal and second header of the game. MacDonald completes his hat trick and we are four nil down with half an hour to play. MacDonald is denied his fourth goal of the match by Hankinson after a long ball found its way in between the defence and the keeper. That was how the score stayed because of some great goalkeeping by Hankinson. We could have finished the game ten nil down and this shows the gulf of talent between a division one and division three side on the day.

St Johnstone 4:0 East Stirling

St Johnstone Goals: Peter MacDonald (3), Keigan Parker (1)

East Stirling Goals: -

MoM: Peter MacDonald (St Johnstone)

Subs: Stewart on for Boyle (66’), Kelly on for Rodden (66’), Mackay on for Jackson (66’)

Booked: Polwart, Maughan, Robertson (St Johnstone)

Stadium: McDiarmid Park

Attendance: 1879

Other news on division three teams saw our rivals Stirling get hammered four nil away to Brechin of Division One. The only teams from Division Three to progress to the second round were Cowdenbeath, Montrose, Gretna, Albion Rovers and Stranraer. Most of these teams had a chance to progress as they played other Division Three teams.

After the match we were giving £10,000 which I think is half the attendance monies.

6th of September 2003

The European Championship Qualifying matches continued today.

In Group 1 France played dazzling football and overcame a under par Cyprus side 5-0. The other match in the group saw Slovenia just edge out Israel 2-1.

Group 2 had one of the most one sided results in the qualifying process so far. Romania completely destroyed Luxembourg 10-0 while Bosnia and Norway played out a 1-1 draw.

Group 3 saw the two favourites to take the automatic promotion spot win against lesser opposition. Czech Republic defeated Belarus on the road 2-1 while Holland romped home with two late goals from Van der Vaart and Roy Makaay to seal a 5-0 victory over Austria.

Group 4 saw two matches which had six goals shared between them. Poland (the country I am following as I am Polish IRL) drew 2-2 on the road against Latvia while Sweden showed the gulf in class between themselves and San Marino by winning 4-0.

Group 5 had the World Cup 2002 Runner Up in Germany. Germany didn’t play well against Iceland drawing 2:2 away while Scotland showed Faroe Islands how to play football in their 3-0 victory at Hampden Park.

Group 6 wasn’t the most exciting group of the tournament but still some flowing attacking football was on display. Armenia lost 2-0 at home to a Greek side full of confidence and on top of the group. Ukraine and Northern Island played out a 1-1 in front of 77,601 screaming fans.

Group 7 saw both the visiting teams take all three points. England easily disposed of Macedonia 3-0 while Turkey outclassed Liechtenstein by the same score line.

Group 8 housed one of the shocks of the tournament as far as I am concerned. Croatia travelled to play Andorra and were sent home with nothing to show for the match as Andorra stole a late winner. Estonia travelled to Bulgaria and was sent packing by a 5-0 score line.

Group 9 housed no surprises in the winners of the two matches though they were closer than most pundits predicted. Finland beat Azerbaijan 2-0 on the road while Italy just managed to defeat Wales 1-0 at the San Siro in front of 63450 fans.

Group 10 had two exciting soccer playing countries facing up to each other in the shape of Russia and Ireland. Ireland at home was a dominant force and saw off Russia 4-0 while Georgia at home was just too strong for Albania defeating the Albanians 2:1.

More to come

10th of September 2003

Another round of the European Championship Qualifying rounds was played today.

In Group 1 Israel and Malta played out a 1-1 in Israel while France travelled to Slovenia and edged out their hosts in a close match ending 2-1. With one round remaining France has won automatic qualification to the European Championship’s while Slovenia has earned the right to go into the play offs.

In Group 2 Denmark edged out Romania 2-1 in a close match to earn automatic qualification. Bosnia made sure they still had a small chance of securing the play off spot by inflicting Luxembourg’s seventh consecutive loss of the tournament with a 2-1 score line.

In Group 3 this round was one sided in both matches played. Holland has almost won automatic qualification with its 3-0 hammering of Czech Republic on the road. While Belarus and Moldova were fighting for the right not to be bottom of the group and it seems Belarus may have won that right with the 4-0 hammering of Moldova. Still one round left and 2 important matches to be played to for countries to clinch automatic the qualifier and play off position.

In Group 4 Latvia and Hungry played a tense match with Latvia edged out the Hungarians with a solitary goal. Poland hosted Sweden and the two teams played out a 1-1 draw. Leading into the last round Sweden is already certain of at least the play off position.

In Group 5 Faroe Islands were humiliated by a Lithuanian side low on confidence and with nothing to play for going into the last round. Germany secured its automatic qualifying spot with a 1-0 win over Scotland and leaving the Scots with it all to do to take the play off spot.

In Group 6 Greece’s advantage over Spain was reduced to 3 points after the Spanish team drew 3:3 with Ukraine. While in Northern Ireland Armenia kept Northern Ireland from winning a game at home this tournament with a 3:2 away win. Greece heads this group with Spain three points behind with both assured of a play off spot and one round to go.

In Group 7 England steam rolled Liechtenstein 7-0 to top the group by 1 point. Slovakia and Macedonia drew 1:1 in Slovakia in a dead rubber with neither country having anything to play for except pride. Going into the last round England and Turkey’s match will determine who wins the group and who will have to go into the play offs in the hope of reaching the European Championships.

In Group 8 Bulgaria sealed top spot and qualification by defeating a Andorra side 3-0 on the road. Belgium played a strong game at home and defeated the Croatians 2-0 to hold a three point advantage over Croatia in the race for the play off spot with one round to go.

In Group 9 Italy continued to exert their dominance on the group with a 2-0 away win against Serbia and Montenegro. Wales and Finland played out a four goal draw with both sides scoring two a piece. Italy and Wales have both been assured of at least a play off spot with the last round determining who wins the group.

In Group 10 draws were the order the day. Albania and Georgia played out an evenly contested 1:1 draw with both goals being scored in two minutes of each other. Russia and Switzerland also drew their match but it ended 2:2. With one round remaining Switzerland and Ireland are deadlocked on 13 points each but Switzerland topping the group on goal difference.

Coming up Stranraer V East Stirling

Thanks D_s i hope i can reach near your standard of writing and story telling icon_smile.gif

13th of September 2003

After the 11 day break it’s back to league action and we are off to play Stranraer.

September 13th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 5 (a)

Stranraer V East Stirling

Stranraer League Form: LDDL Position: 10th

East Stirling League Form: WLLD Position: 7th

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan, Graeme McLaren, James White, Michael Stewart-Ross Jackson, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Gerry Boyle

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Craig Reid, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Stuart Kelly

Finally we were off to a dream start. Lappin picked the ball up in the midfield and put the ball up the pitch where Boyle put into a cross onto the head of Rodden. One nil after five minutes. On the fourteenth minute Rodden almost got his second of the game with a fine run through the centre of the Stranraer defence but Mathers fisted the ball away. Immediately down the other end Connolly pushed the ball over the bar from a 25-yard rocket of a shot. Finally Stranraer pressure resulted in a goal. A cross found Kane unmarked and after he rounded Connolly the goal was gaping and he didn’t miss. We held onto half time keeping the score at 1-1.

Before the second half kicked off I substituted Gerry Boyle for a defender Craig Reid so our formation was no 5-4-1. I was hoping to catch Stranraer on the counter attack. We kept ourselves on level terms through the excellent keeping of Connolly and the sloppy shooting by the Stranraer forwards. We broke through the Stranraer rear guard in the eightieth minute only to be denied by substitute keeper Tardif at the expense of a corner. Stranraer finally broke our stubborn resistance in the last minute of regulation time when Lurinsky beat White and drilled the ball past Connolly into the net.

Stranraer 2:1 East Stirling

Stranraer Goals: Kane (1), Lurinsky (1)

East Stirling Goals: Rodden (1)

MoM: Paul Rodden (East Stirling)

Subs: Reid on for Boyle (45’), Leishman on for McAuley (63’)

Booked: McLaren, Leishman

Stadium: Stair Park

Attendance: 1620

I am really happy with the way the team played today though we didn’t get the win it was a gutsy performance by the players. If they can keep this up when we play away we are sure to take some points from those matches.

17th of September 2003

The Scottish League Challenge Cup semi finals were played. Simon Mensing scored in the 78th minute to send Clyde through to the final while Brechin crash out. In the other semi final Montrose edged out Gretna in a close 1-0 win with Kristopher Brash scoring the only goal of the game in the 76th minute.

19th of September 2003

My only scout, Andrew Milne, came to me today with news of a promising young striker who was available on loan. His name is Kevin Ramsey and he is a product of the of the Celtic youth system. I thank Andrew for his suggestion and I will make Kevin my top priority when the transfer deadline ends.

The derby is next against our old rivals Stirling! Come on East Stirling icon_biggrin.gif

20th of September 2003

The first derby of the season brings us against our old rivals Stirling at home.

September 20th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 6 (h)

East Stirling V Stirling

East Stirling League Form: LWLLD Position: 9th

Stirling League Form: WLDLW Position: 5th

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan ,Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Ross Jackson, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Stuart Kelly

The fans pack the stadium and are all waiting for the kick off of the match between two old rivals.

After five minutes the ball was in the back of the net. McLean put Stirling ahead with a text book header or so he thought he did until the linesman put up his flag. Elliot retrieved the ball from a goal mouth scramble and knocked the ball in to give Stirling a 1-0 lead. A header down by O`Brien gave Elliot all the time he needed to smash the ball past Connolly for the second time this match.

O`Brien made another goal for Elliot. O`Brien ran down the wing and with a pinpoint cross allowed Elliot to get in away from his defender and volley the ball past Connolly to complete his hat trick. The score ends 3-0 in the visitors favour.

East Stirling 0:3 Stirling

Stirling Goals: Elliot (3)

MoM: Barry Elliot (Stirling) Rating- 10

Subs: Stewart on for Reid (63’), Kelly on for Ure (63’), Leishman on for Mackay (63’)

Booked: Maughan, Rodden, Ure

Attendance: 1410

I knew this job wouldn’t be easy but today I just can’t defend my players. They played without any passion and just didn’t look like they wanted the ball. I will need to have a long talk with the team and see where we are going wrong because this cant go on the whole season under my tenure.

27th of September 2003

Our last home game until the 1st of November pits us against a Albion Rovers side full of confidence and just two points behind the top two.

September 20th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 7 (h)

East Stirling V Albion Rovers

East Stirling League Form: LLWLL Position: 9th

Albion Rovers League Form: WWWDD Position: 3rd

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan ,Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Ross Jackson, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

I have kept an unchanged line-up for this match and am just trying to let all the players settle in and work well as a unit.

After two minutes a Albion corner taken by Silvestro is headed home by Diack to give Albion Rovers a 1-0 lead. I didn’t have to wait long for our equaliser. Six minutes later a fast flowing passing move ended with Rodden one on one with the keeper and slotting the ball home. 1-1 and game on. Ten minutes later we were on the brink of taking the lead when Jackson was pulled down inside the area and a penalty was awarded. Ure steps up and dispatches the penalty past Chris Fahey in the Albion goal to send East Stirling into a 2-1 lead. Two minutes later McAuley rose two head in our third goal only for the referee to disallow it for offside. From the next attack Albion equalise through a Mercer header which just squeezed in between Connolly and his near post. A break in the midfield allowed Lappin to pull free of his marker and receive the ball. His mazy run took him up the wing where he put in a pin point cross for Ure who volleyed home his second goal of the game and put East Stirling back in the lead just before half time.

Straight from the kick-off Albion equalised for the second time in the match when a quick passing move allowed Diack to become all alone in the box and he made no mistake converting his chance to bring the score up to 3-3. A long ball was put up into the Albion box and the pressure by substitute Stuart Kelly brought the error from the keeper and a corner was conceded. The corner was only partially cleared and when a shot from Kelly was parried and dropped into the path of Rodden he made no mistake and won the game for East Stirling 4-3. Just before the full time whistle Kelly could have made it 5-3 with a bullet header though somehow Fahey tipped the ball over.

East Stirling 4:3 Albion Rovers

East Stirling Goals: Rodden (2), Ure (2)

Albion Rovers Goals: Diack (2), Mercer (1)

MoM: Paul Rodden (East Stirling)

Subs: Stewart on for Reid (63’), Kelly on for Ure (63’), Polwart on for McAuley (63’)

Booked: McManus (Albion), Diack (Albion), McBide(Albion)

Stadium:Firs Park

Attendance: 1418

Now this is the type of fast, flowing passing football that I have been wanting to see since I arrived as manager. I am happy with the player’s efforts though the defence today really needs to be improved before we can challenge for promotion.

More updates to come if the forum isnt down again icon_frown.gif

1st of October 2003

The first day of the new month and we have the awards given out:

Martin Bavidge of Peterhead has picked up this month’s Third Division Player of the Month after scoring over a goal a game this month.

The Third Division Young Player of the Month has gone to Stirling’s Paul Nugent after his series of solid performances last month.

The Manager of the Month award for September has gone to Cowdenbeath’s boss Keith Wright after leading his team to two victories out of three matches.

4th of October 2003

Our first away match out of three this month takes us to Links Park to play Montrose who is 2 points below us on the table.

October 4th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 8 (a)

Montrose V East Stirling

Montrose League Form: LLLWD Position: 9th

East Stirling League Form: WLWLL Position: 8th

</pre>

I name an unchanged line-up for the third successive match after being impressed with our general performance in our last match.

A quick goal was what I was hoping for before the match and we almost got it. We took the kick off and in our real first attack Rodden’s shot was tipped over by Jim Butter. For the rest of the first half the Montrose pressure was immense and shots rained down on Connolly’s goal but to his credit he kept the score at 0-0 to the interval.

Our resistance was finally broken in the 54th minute when a corner was drifted in and not cleared convincingly. Watt took advantage of the defensive lapse by smashing the ball past Connolly. But to my surprise a late flag halted the celebrations and after the referee and linesmen conferred the goal was ruled out. I brought on Leishman for Rodden two minutes later leaving Kelly up as a lone striker. That bold move payed dividends two minutes later when the midfield was freed up by a long ball by Leishman and Kelly got onto the end of the move to knock it into the keeper and the ball rolled over the goal line to give us a shock lead. Four minutes later we almost had a second but McAuley’s 25-yard rocket was expertly tipped over by the Montrose number one. From the resulting corner the ball was cleared and Montrose went on a counter attack ending with the ball in the back of Connolly's net but again having the offside flag ruling the goal out. Wood finally equalised for Montrose after a poor clearance by Connolly let him in one on one and he made no mistake. The score tied at 1-1. McLaren won the ball on the left side of defence and set Kelly on his way. With Kelly waiting for support Leishman arrived on the scene and met the cross from Kelly to put East Stirling into the lead for the second time in the match. The lead lasted only ten minutes when in the 87th minute Henderson equalised and crushed our hopes of recording our second consecutive win.

Montrose 2:2 East Stirling

Montrose Goals: Wood (1), Henderson (1)

East Stirling Goals: Kelly (1), Leishman (1)

MoM: Jon Connolly (East Stirling)

Subs: Stewart on for White (58’), Kelly on for Rodden (45’), Leishman on for Ure (63’)

Booked: Webster (Montrose)

Stadium: Links Park

Attendance: 1583

A great game for the neutral with shots flying in from every angle. Leishman and Kelly both substitutes proved their worth to the team with a goal each to give us a draw away from home. I am a little disappointed after giving away the lead twice but it’s another point earned away from home.

Next the European Qualifying group stages come to an end with the better footballing countries qualfying easily.

11th of October 2003

The last round of European Championship Qualifying matches were played today with some countries with nothing to play for except pride.

In Group 1 France beat Israel by a solitary Makelele goal to win the group and deflate Israel’s hope of taking 2nd stop. Slovenia didn’t know it before the match but any result would do against Cyprus to take 2nd spot. The game ended 1-1 and Slovenia live to fight another day and go into the play-offs.

Pos Inf Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag GD Pts

1st Q France 8 8 0 0 27 3 +24 24

2nd Pl Slovenia 8 4 2 2 14 11 +3 14

3rd Israel 8 2 3 3 8 7 +1 9

4th Cyprus 8 2 2 4 8 17 -9 8

5th Malta 8 0 1 7 4 23 -19 1

</pre>

In Group 2 Denmark had already sealed qualification before the day’s play. They could be excused when they lost to Bosnia 2-0 on the road. Norway took 2nd spot on goal difference after a dull 0-0 draw with Luxembourg. Romania should feel cheated after they were on the same points as Norway and with a superior goal difference but were placed third.

1st Q Denmark 8 5 1 2 14 9 +5 16

2nd Pl Norway 8 3 4 1 9 5 +4 13

3rd Romania 8 4 1 3 26 9 +17 13

4th Bosnia 8 4 1 3 9 9 0 13

5th Luxembourg 8 0 1 7 1 27 -26 1

</pre>

In Group 3 the Czech Republic edged out Austria 3:2 in Austria to give themselves hope of winning the group if the Dutch faulted against Moldova. Unfortunately for the Czechs the Dutch hammered Moldova 5-0 and sealed automatic qualification to Euro 2004.

1st Q Holland 8 7 1 0 24 2 +22 22

2nd Pl Czech Republic 8 6 1 1 19 7 +12 19

3rd Austria 8 3 0 5 11 16 -5 9

4th Belarus 8 2 0 6 7 17 -10 6

5th Moldova 8 1 0 7 3 22 -19 3

</pre>

In Group 4 Hungary played Poland with both sides only playing for pride. The Polish came away from the game with their pride intact after a 3-0 win against the Hungarians. The match between Sweden and Latvia decided who won the group and who would have to go through the drama of the play-offs. Sweden took the lead in the 2nd minute through Villa striker Marcus Allback and held on to win 1-0 and clinch their Euro 2004 place. Latvia will have to play a home and away play off leg to win a place for Euro 2004.

1st Q Sweden 8 5 3 0 18 3 +15 18

2nd Pl Latvia 8 4 2 2 9 6 +3 14

3rd Poland 8 3 3 2 13 7 +6 12

4th Hungary 8 3 2 3 13 8 +5 11

5th San Marino 8 0 0 8 0 29 -29 0

</pre>

In Group 5 before today’s play Germany had sealed a place at the Championship. They were not playing at their full potential today and went down 1:0 to an Iceland team fighting for 2nd spot. Scotland was another side fighting for 2nd spot and they fought well enough to beat Lithuania 3-1. This allowed them 2nd spot by one solitary goal over Iceland.

1st Q Germany 8 4 3 1 11 6 +5 15

2nd Pl Scotland 8 4 2 2 13 7 +6 14

3rd Iceland 8 4 2 2 13 8 +5 14

4th Lithuania 8 3 1 4 9 12 -3 10

5th Faroe Islands 8 0 2 6 5 18 -13 2

</pre>

In Group 6 all was to play for in the two matches. Greece held a slender 3 point margin over the Spanish and blew their chance to win the group when they lost 2-1 to Northern Ireland. The Spanish on the other hand made the Greek’s pay with a 2-1 victory over Armenia to win the group on goal difference.

1st Q Spain 8 4 3 1 15 7 +8 15

2nd Pl Greece 8 5 0 3 9 6 +3 15

3rd Ukraine 8 2 5 1 14 12 +2 11

4th Armenia 8 2 1 5 10 17 -7 7

5th N.Ireland 8 1 3 4 5 11 -6 6

</pre>

In Group 7 the England-Turkey match was the main match because it determined who won the group A Darius Vassell penalty in the first half and a late strike by Michael Owen sealed the English victory 2-0 over Turkey on the Turkish home soil. In the other match of the round a dead rubber was played between Slovakia and Liechtenstein. The Slovakian’s wanted the win more and triumphed 3-1 to take 3rd spot in the group and end the group stage on a high.

1st Q England 8 7 1 0 22 4 +18 22

2nd Pl Turkey 8 6 0 2 17 7 +10 18

3rd Slovakia 8 3 1 4 12 10 +2 10

4th Macedonia 8 1 3 4 10 15 -5 6

5th Liechtenstein 8 0 1 7 3 28 -25 1

</pre>

In Group 8 Belgium beat Estonia convincingly 3-0 to take 2nd spot in the group. While Croatia didn’t know it until after their 4-1 demolition of group leader Bulgaria that they wouldn’t make the play-offs and would have to be content with third.

1st Q Bulgaria 8 5 2 1 17 7 +10 17

2nd Pl Belgium 8 5 1 2 12 8 +4 16

3rd Croatia 8 4 1 3 11 6 +5 13

4th Estonia 8 2 2 4 4 10 -6 8

5th Andorra 8 1 0 7 2 15 -13 3

</pre>

In Group 9 Italy won the group by 5 points after winning their home match against Azerbaijan 2-0. Wales still thought they had a chance of taking over Italy in the group before the match but blew any chance of that happening surrendering a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 against Serbia and Montenegro.

1st Q Italy 8 6 1 1 13 3 +10 19

2nd Pl Wales 8 4 2 2 15 8 +7 14

3rd Finland 8 3 1 4 10 10 0 10

4th Serbia & Mont 8 2 3 3 10 13 -3 9

5th Azerbaijan 8 1 1 6 4 18 -14 4

</pre>

In Group 10 Ireland snuck home in their match against Switzerland 2-1 to take the group. Russia and Georgia played out a scoreless draw to end their participation in the tournament.

1st Q Ireland 8 5 1 2 15 9 +6 16

2nd Pl Switzerland 8 3 4 1 15 11 +4 13

3rd Georgia 8 2 3 3 6 10 -4 9

4th Russia 8 2 3 3 13 15 -2 9

5th Albania 8 1 3 4 10 14 -4 6

</pre>

12th of October 2003

The European Championship Qualifying Playoff matches were announced today and were as follow:

Czech Republic V Wales

Turkey V Scotland

Latvia V Belgium

Switzerland V Slovenia

Norway V Greece

</pre>

16th of October 2003

Two days before our crucial match against Gretna injury news rocked the club. Ross Jackson suffered a torn groin strain and looks to be out for at least three months.

18th of October 2003

Our 2nd consecutive game on the road out of three puts us against Gretna.

October 18th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 9 (a)

Gretna V East Stirling

Gretna League Form: WLLWL Position: 5th

East Stirling League Form: DWLWL Position: 7th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan ,Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

I replace the injured Ross Jackson with Scott Livingstone who has been unlucky not to be in the first team the last few matches. I am really hoping Scott will step up and fill the position at a high standard.

After only five minutes a loose ball was picked up McAuley in the midfield where he fed it to Lappin on the left wing. Lappin took on and beat one defender and crossed the ball onto the head of Ure who just couldn’t beat the keeper with the header. A quick breakaway by Gretna lead to Cohen forcing a great save from Connolly resulting in a corner. The corner was crossed into the box and the player who won the corner, Cohen, took control of the ball and steered it past Connolly and the defender on the post. Ure had a chance to equalise for East Stirling ten minutes later but his tame header was tipped round the post by the Gretna stopper. Connolly was kept busy until the break with pressure coming from Gretna but with no reward for the home side’s dominance. Game over on the 55th minute with Milligan drawing Connolly and cheekily chipped him to give his side a 2-0 lead. We scored a consolation goal on the 85th minute after a harmless long ball found Ure and he beat his marker and smashed the ball past the Gretna keeper. The final whistle blew and we were beaten by a combination of clinical Gretna finishing and poor defending on our part.

Gretna 2:1 East Stirling

Gretna Goals: Cohen (1), Milligan (1)

East Stirling Goals: Ure (1)

MoM: Shaun Milligan (Gretna) Rating-9

Subs: Stewart on for White (66’), Kelly on for Rodden (46’), Leishman on for Livingstone (66’)

Booked: White (East Stirling), Robb (Gretna), Benjamin (Gretna)

Stadium: Raydale Park

Attendance: 1583

The team’s defence this season is terrible and really needs to be improved before we can move up the table. While i ponder our defensive position i also feel we need more consistence with the players knocking the goals in.

Thanks SoS icon_smile.gif Nice to see people enjoying it!

24th of October 2003

A quick glance on the transfer list today led to me faxing a bid to Peterhead for their 34 y/o forward Iain Stewart. Peterhead was asking £0 and I feel the club could do with an experienced player as most of the squad is under 23.

Another bid was sent to Gretna for their 39 y/o centre back. Keith Knox will probably only play the rest of the season but for £0 and only £100 p/w it’s a bargain in my opinion for a large amount of years of expierence.

25th of October 2003

Our third consecutive away match and last match of the month gives us a match against 2nd placed Peterhead.

October 25th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 10 (a)

Peterhead V East Stirling

Peterhead League Form: LWWWL Position: 2nd

East Stirling League Form: LDWLL Position: 9th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan ,Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Gerry Boyle

I give Stuart Kelly a start because of Paul Rodden’s poor form in his last few matches. Gerry Boyle is also promoted up to the bench.

A corner in the 4th minute gives Peterhead the lead after a clearance hits the head of Beith and flies into the net. The day turns into a nightmare thirteen minutes later when our defence is all over the place and Peterhead take advantage through Stewart to make it 2-0. Sometimes I think I should just resign because two minutes later Peterhead put in a pathetic cross and it somehow finds its way through the East Stirling defence to the far post and is knocked in by Bavidge to make it 3-0. Another corner just before the hour mark makes it 4-0 to Peterhead through Smith. Just before the break Peterhead make it 5-0 through Bavidge after a long ball was headed on to him but I am debating the merits of the goal as I feel it was offside but at 4-0 who cares. But just when I think the world is against me the referee rules the goal out due to a really late offside call by the assistant referee.

Peterhead continued dominating the match from the second half kick off. They didn’t score again until the 76th minute when Grant found himself all alone to smash the ball past Connolly and give his team a 5-0 lead.

Peterhead 5:0 East Stirling

Peterhead Goals: Smith (1), Beith (1), Stewart (1), Bavidge (1), Grant (1)

MoM: Martin Bavidge (Peterhead) Rating-9

Subs: Stewart on for White (60’), Boyle on for Kelly (60’), Leishman on for Mackay (60’)

Booked: Livingstone (East Stirling)

Stadium: Balmoor Stadium

Attendance: 1566

Now this is a scoreline every manager doesnt want to be on the end of(unless they are trying to get their team relegated). I felt so helpless with all the changes to formation, tinkering of player positioning and substitutions and nothing working.

26th of October 2003

The Scottish League Challenge Cup was played today with Montrose of Division 3 facing Clyde of Division 1. The higher division team won the cup at the end of the day with Clyde scoring the only goal of the game which occurred at the 21st minute. Clyde had to hold on to the lead after having a player sent off on the 69th minute but hung on by the skin of their teeth to clinch the Scottish League Challenge Cup.

HD, I dont know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult but its a comment all the same icon_wink.gif

27th of October 2003

Gretna accepted my bid for Keith Knox and I offered him a contract for 2 seasons.

28th of October 2003

Peterhead accepted my offer for Iain Stewart and I offered the 34 year old forward a contract but he lacked enthusiasm so I doubt if he will join the club.

31st of October 2003

After a long discussion with my assistant manager and ONE and ONLY scout I agreed to cancel the deal to bring Keith Knox to East Stirling as they were both convinced he wasn’t good enough.

The Ian Stewart transfer was confirmed today and he will be joining us on the 1st of January 2004.

1st of November 2003

The first day of the new month and we have the awards to be given out:

The Scottish Third Division Player of the Month goes to Peterhead’s Martin Bavidge after his recent performances which saw him scoring over a goal a game.

Shaun Milligan won the Scottish Third Division Young Player of the Month award after a series of good performances for his club Gretna over the past month.

The Scottish Third Division Manager of the Month has gone to Allan Moore the manager of Stirling. He led his team to two victories in their last three league games.

Later on that day our home match against Elgin kicked off. They are only just two positions above us so hopefully we can gain at least a draw at home.

November 1st, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 11 (h)

East Stirling V Elgin City

East Stirling League Form: LLDWL Position: 9th

Elgin City League Form: LLLDW Position: 7th

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©- Roddy Maughan ,Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Dougie Polwart- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Jamie Mackay, Gerry Boyle

The game kicked off on a cool day in Falkirk with my team having one change. Polwart replaced Mackay after his lack lustre performances in recent matches.

Oh my god after twenty seconds we were behind. The Elgin City kick off resulted in their first attack with Bone sending a cross to the far post and when Connolly didn’t come for it McLean beat his marker and headed his team into a 1-0 lead. All we needed was a quick counter attack and we were level. A nice flowing counter attack with Kelly, Ure and Mackay all involved and a great ball by Mackay allowed Kelly to find space and volley the ball home for the equaliser 1-1.

Absolutely nothing happened and when I did a triple substitution on the 61st minute I hoped it would give us an edge over Elgin. Five minutes before time a quick throw in lead to Leishman thumped a strike at goal but it flew agonisingly wide of the left hand post. That was the last chance of the match for both sides and the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

East Stirling 1:1 Elgin City

East Stirling Goals: Kelly (1)

Elgin City Goals: McLean (1)

MoM: Jon Connolly (East Stirling) Rating-9

Subs: Stewart on for White (62’), Boyle on for Kelly (62’), Leishman on for Polwart (62’)

Booked: Polwart (East Stirling), White (East Stirling)

Attendance: 1433

After the match my physio reported that Roddy Maughan damaged his shoulder in the match and would be out for two weeks. It is a massive blow for the club as Maughan is a key member in my back four.

Next the match against promotion chasing Cowdenbeath and the "Worldly League Wrap"

8th of November 2003

Today we had the privilege of playing the 2nd placed, Cowdenbeath, at Firs Park. Most pundits were predicting a comfortable match for the visitors but I assure you I will do my best for the team to not let that happen.

November 8th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 12 (h)

East Stirling V Cowdenbeath

East Stirling League Form: DLWLW Position: 9th

Cowdenbeath League Form: LWWDW Position: 2nd

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©-Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

I replaced the injured Maughan with McCulloh for his first league appearance of the season.

Exactly the same start as the last match straight from the kick off the visitors score. McCulloh was at fault as he was beaten to easily for my liking and the cross was lethal as it landed on Brown’s favoured right foot and he blasted it past Connolly. On the fourteenth minute Cowdenbeath struck for the 2nd time. Mauchlen took a free kick from just outside the box and curled it around the wall and past the outstretched Connolly into the right hand corner of the net to make it 2-0. Cowdenbeath showed again they meant business when Winter beat his marker and headed in a corner to make it 3-0 after only 37 minutes.

At half time I made a change and changed to a 5-3-2 formation with the left and right backs allowed to attack up the wings. The second half had not one chance for either team to talk of and the game ended 3-0 in the visitors favour.

East Stirling 0:3 Cowdenbeath

East Stirling Goals:-

Cowdenbeath Goals: Mauchlen (1), Brown (1), Winter (1)

MoM: Dene Shields(Cowdenbeath) Rating-8

Subs: Stewart on for Polwart (45’), Boyle on for Ure (63’), Leishman on for Lappin (63’)

Booked: Ford (Cowdenbeath)

Attendance: 1414

A shocking performance in the first half and the early goals we have conceded in the last two matches need to stop and quick.

9th of November 2003

Shockwaves are circulated around the club today after a bad training injury was sustained by Gerry Boyle. A routine training exercise left Boyle with a damaged spine and a lengthy lay off of around 7 months.

15th of November 2003

The European Championship Qualifying Playoff 1st Leg matches were played today.

The Czech Republic have almost made certain of qualification after three late goals by Vratislav Lokvenc (70, 81) and Paval Nedved (88) against Wales.

Belgium edged out Latvia on the road after Igor Stepanovs gave away a penalty after being the last man and therefore he was dismissed. The resulted penalty was converted by Timmy Simons to give his team the 1-0 win.

Norway battled out a 1-1 draw at home to Greece. Morten Gamst Pederson scored in the 37th minute to give his side the lead but Demis Nikolaidis struck back for Greece 10 minutes before full time.

Switzerland made home advantage count against Slovenia ending up with a 2-0 result. David Sesa scored in the 67th minute to put Switzerland in the driving seat and the lead was doubled 5 minutes before time by Stephane Chapuisat.

Turkey edged out Scotland 1-0 after the only goal of the match by Nihat in the 72nd minute. Scotland has it all to do in the 2nd leg.

19th of November 2003

The European Championship Qualifying Playoff 2nd Leg matches were played today.

The Czech Republic battled hard and drew 2-2 away to Wales to send the Welsh side crashing out at the final hurdle. John Hartson gave the Welsh hope scoring just after half time before Paval Nedved equalised on the 64th minute. Craig Bellamy again gave the Welsh hope before a late equaliser from Jan Koller sent the Czech Republic to Euro 2004.

Belgium showed that they are way ahead of Latvia in footballing talent today with a complete annihilation of the Latvian team. In the match goals came from Emile Lokonda Mpenza (2, 15, 89), Bart Goor (26, 51) and Wesley Socnk (31, 85) for the Belgians. Latvia managed one goal but it was from the penalty spot scored by Vladimir Laizan (pen 45). Belgium cruise through to Euro 2004 on 8-1 on aggregate after their dominating 7-1 win.

Greece defeated Norway 3-1 in this match and took the tie 4-2 on aggregate. John Arne Riise gave the Norwegians the lead after 62 minutes. In the space of five minutes Greece was in front through two goals by Zisis Vryzas (64, 67) and a third goal was scored by Demis Nikolaidis (90) to cap off a good performance by the Greeks.

Switzerland were pegged back today against Slovenia but went through because Slovenia couldn’t take their large amounts of chances and the match ended 2-2. Simon Maric (9) and Goran Sukalo (40) put the Slovenia’s in control of the tie. In the second half Switzerland scored goals through Stephane Chapuisat (53) and David Sesa (64) against the run of play. Switzerland went through to Euro 2004 by 4-2 on aggregate.

Scotland showed their class in this match by destroying the Turks 3-0 and qualifying for Euro 2004. Steven Thompson (63), Barry Ferguson (67) and Shaun Maloney (pen 90) gave the Scots a three nil win and easily overcame the 1-0 deficit before the start of play.

Next the Third Division league table and the "Worldly Wide Wrap"

Well thanks HD compliments and criticism are all welcome but compliments are more welcome icon_biggrin.gif

If you feel i should add anything in my worldly league wrap let me know....didnt know how much detail i should put into it-whether or not i should talk about the teams in the lower leagues who are in the relegation spots

Also if you have an queries on players or teams just give me a buzz throughout this epic roller coaster ride with East Stirling

21st of November 2003

We are now a third of the way through the season so here is the division 3 table.

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D Pts

1st Peterhead 12 9 1 2 25 8 +17 28

2nd Cowdenbeath 12 8 2 2 16 6 +10 26

3rd Albion Rovers 12 6 3 3 31 17 +14 21

4th Stirling 12 6 2 4 23 19 +4 20

5th Gretna 12 5 2 5 22 23 -1 17

6th Stranraer 12 3 6 3 19 17 +2 15

7th Elgin 12 4 2 6 14 26 -12 14

8th Montrose 12 2 4 6 23 23 0 10

9th East Stirling 12 2 3 7 12 24 -12 9

10th Queens Park 12 2 1 9 10 32 -22 7

</pre>

It seems four of the five teams the pundits predicted to be up the top of the table chasing the promotion spots are doing just that. While we languish in 9th I still feel we can finish in fifth place come the end of the season if we work hard.

Now to take a quick look around the world at some of the other leagues

Worldly League Wrap

Over in Australia after nine games South Melbourne is the front runner followed closely by the other five teams in the top six including Adelaide United, Marconi, Northern Spirit, Melbourne Knights and the Perth Glory.

In England Arsenal leads the race for the premiership trophy after winning 10 and drawing 3 of their 13 games. Chelsea, Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester United are all 8 points of the pace. While down the lower end of the league Charlton, Wolves and Bolton are struggling to pick up enough points to put them in mid table safety. In division 1 it looks like West Brom Albion and Preston are racing away with the automatic promotion spots while fellow chasers Reading, Sunderland, Sheffield United and Watford fill the playoff places.

After 15 games in France the favourites for the title, Lyon and Monaco, are deadlocked on 38 points a piece. Following a fair distance off the pace is Paris Saint Germain and Marseille filling up 3rd and 4th spots respectively. The three teams filling the relegation spots are Nice, Guinamp and Le Mans who has only picked up 2 points from all 15 games. In the French Second Division, Caen, Saint Etienne and Laval are occupying the 3 automatic promotion spots and the gap between 3rd and 4th spot is now up to seven points.

In the German first division Bayern Munchen tops the table followed closely by Schalke 04, Bayer Leverkusen and Dortmund. At the wrong end of the table sees 1860 Munchen, FC Koln and SC Freiburg struggling to stay afloat. In the Second Division, Mainz, Cottbus and Nurnberg occupy the automatic promotion spots and are looking good to continue their run of form going.

The top 3 in Serie A consist of Inter Milan, Lazio and the title holders, Juventus. While languishing down the bottom end of the table Chievo, Modena and Empoli. A surprise sees cash strapped Parma sitting in the relegation playoff spot. Down in Serie B sees Fiorentina, Torino and Piazcenza in the top 3 and fighting for their chance to return to the big league.

Back in Scotland in the Premier League Celtic is top of the league with Rangers and Dunfermline two points behind. It seems that either Motherwell or Partick Thistle will have to play well to avoid the drop this year with both teams on only nine points from thirteen games. In division 1 Ayr United and St Johnstone are fighting it out for the one and only promotion spot to the biggest league in Scotland.

No surprises in Spain with Real Madrid leading the La Liga with Barcelona, Mallorca and Real Sociedad a few points behind. Zaragoza, Osasuna and Murcia fill the bottom three places and need to fight hard to stay in the division. In the Spanish Second Division the front runners for promotion to La Liga at the moment are Alaves, Numancia and Cordoba.

looks better now icon_smile.gif

I'd have gone with:

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D Pts

1st Peterhead 12 9 1 2 25 8 +17 28

2nd Cowdenbeath 12 8 2 2 16 6 +10 26

3rd Albion Rovers 12 6 3 3 31 17 +14 21

4th Stirling 12 6 2 4 23 19 +4 20

5th Gretna 12 5 2 5 22 23 -1 17

6th Stranraer 12 3 6 3 19 17 +2 15

7th Elgin 12 4 2 6 14 26 -12 14

8th Montrose 12 2 4 6 23 23 0 10

9th East Stirling 12 2 3 7 12 24 -12 9

10th Queens Park 12 2 1 9 10 32 -22 7

</pre>

but that's just personal preference. icon_smile.gif

Thanks HD, yes it does look better like that icon14.gif

Glamdring its good your not the one fabricating the evidence icon_wink.gif

22nd of November 2003

One of the biggest games this season for our team in terms of moving up or down the league table. If we lose this game Queens Park will take over us and we will hit rock bottom of the division. Many pundits are predicting that we will end bottom of the division but after being with the team for a few months I k now they will keep fighting to the end.

Our previous meeting a few months ago produced a two goal win to us. Hopefully we can repeat the feat or go even better.

November 8th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 13 (a)

Queens Park V East Stirling

Queens Park League Form: LWLLL Position: 10th

East Stirling League Form: LDLWL Position: 9th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©-Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Dougie Polwart- Stuart Kelly, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Jamie Mackay, Gerry Boyle

Queens Park had the first attack of the game and were centimetres away from taking the lead but for the inside of the post deflecting the ball back into the thankful arms of Connolly. Unfortunately just before half time disaster struck when a poor cross from the left was allowed to go straight to Walker and he smashed the ball past Connolly to give the home team a 1-0 lead.

Derek Ure had a poor first half so he was replaced by Paul Rodden before the start of the second half. Just after the break Connolly kept us in the game with a point blank stop from a header from only 3 yards. The closest either team came to scoring the 2nd goal of the game was with a long range strike by Walker which flew just over Connolly’s crossbar. The one goal was enough for Queens Park to move off the bottom and condemn us to be bottom of the ladder after thirteen games.

Queens Park 1:0 East Stirling

Queens Park Goals: Allan Walker (1)

MoM: Sean McAuley (East Stirling) Rating-8

Subs: Stewart on for Polwart (45’), Boyle on for Ure (63’), Leishman on for Lappin (63’)

Booked: McCulloh (East Stirling), Ferry (Queens Park), Menelaws (Queens Park)

Stadium: Hampden Park

Attendance: 1615

I didn’t think it could get any worse than being bottom of the ladder but it has become worse. My physio reported to me that Stuart Kelly will be out for two weeks with a damaged neck.

29th of November 2003

Today another third division match which has the potential to end dismally. 5th placed Stranraer come to Firs Park thinking that we will be easy beats. The last match between these teams produced 2-1 win to Stranraer.

November 29th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 14 (h)

East Stirling V Stranraer

East Stirling League Form: LDLWL Position: 10th

Stranraer League Form: WDWDW Position: 5th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©-Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Paul McLean

To replace the injured Stuart Kelly Paul Rodden moves from the bench to replace him while Under 20s player Paul McLean gets a place on the bench.

Connolly was tested about five times in the first seven minutes but we were the side who took the lead. McAuley won the ball in midfield in a 50-50 tackle, passed it to Livingstone who chipped it over the defence to Paul Rodden. Rodden made no mistake putting it into the net past the helpless keeper. McAuley was again orchestrating the attack but this time it didn’t prove fruitful. The great pass by McAuley set Ure through on goal but his shot his the post and went out for a goal kick. We went ahead through a own goal from Crawford after McAuley (who else!!) sent a long ball into the penalty area and Crawford under pressure from Rodden knocked the ball past his own keeper. This time it was Rodden with the assist after a defensive lapse allowed Rodden to put in a cross to man of the match McAuley who got his just reward and smashed the ball into the net to make it 3-0 after only 20 minutes. Just before half time Stranraer tried to put some respectability into the score line only to find Connolly in the way.

Two minutes into the second half disaster struck when McCulloh limped off after being involved in a strong tackle. Michael Stewart was sent on to replace McCulloh. Another own goal seals the victory for East Stirling in the sixty fifth minute. A free kick from Lappin in the middle of our attacking half was aimed at Rodden up in the six yard area only to see Sharp beat him too it and knock it past his own keeper. Fifteen minutes before time Essler struck and put a goal on the board for the visitors.

We continued to pepper the Stranraer goal with McLean wasting some easy chances but at the end of the day we had beaten a team five positions above us by the scoreline of four goals to one.

East Stirling 4:1 Stranraer

East Stirling Goals: McAuley (1), Rodden (1)

Stranraer Goals: Essler (1), Crawford (OG), Sharp (OG)

MoM: Sean McAuley (East Stirling) Rating-10

Subs: Stewart on for McCulloh (47’), McLean on for Ure (66’), Leishman on for Livingstone (66’)

Booked: McLaren (East Stirling), Guy (Stranraer), Allan(Stranraer)

Attendance: 1417

Sean McAuley’s performance today was immaculate and I feel he will be a key member in the midfield for seasons to come. His rating of 10 represents his excellent leadership in the midfield and his ability to orchestrate and assist in attacking opportunities which contribute to shots on goal and goals.

The only negative note to this excellent day was the news that Gary McCulloh is out for two months with a broken collarbone.

We jump up to 8th on the table after 14 games and 16 points off the 2nd placed promotion spots.

1st of December 2003

The first day of the new month and we have the awards to be given out:

The Scottish Third Division Player of the Month award this month goes to East Stirling’s Sean McAuley and he definitely deserves it. The award panel came to this decision after watching McAuley perform well in his last four appearances with one a man of the match performance with a rating of ten.

The Scottish Third Division Young Player of the Month goes to Albion Rover’s John McCaig after a couple of eye catching performances this month.

Albion Rover’s Peter Hetherston won the Scottish Third Division Manager of the Month after leading his team to three victories out of four league matches this month.

3rd of December 2003

The Scottish League Cup Quarter Finals were played today with all the favourites progressing.

Celtic easily disposed of Hiberian after a Stilian Petrov and a late Liam Miller strike sent the Bhoys into the Semi Finals.

The match between Dundee and Kilmarnock produced only one goal. The team who got the goal was Dundee through a Georgy Nemsadze cracker.

Rangers was the favourite to progress past Dunfermline and into the Semi Finals but they made hard work of it and needed extra time to squeeze past their opponents. Stephen Hughes got Rangers off to the perfect start scoring in the first minute of the match. Gary Dempsey scored the only other goal of the first half to bring Dunfermline back into the match. Peter Lovenkrands put Rangers back ahead in the 62nd minute before Stephen Crawford scored 10 minutes before time. Extra time was needed to see one side through into the semi finals and Rangers won the game through a Ronald de Boer goal and Stephen Crawford missed a penalty and let Rangers hold on for the victory.

Partick Thistle was behind on their home turf after Kevin McKenna scored for Hearts after 50 minutes. David Rowson won the game for his team with two goals in the second half and clinch their spot in the semi finals.

The semi final matches were drawn and they read:

Celtic V Rangers

Partick Thistle V Dundee

</pre>

5th of December 2003

The Inter-Continental Cup was played today between the Champions of Europe, AC Milan and Boca Juniors. Andriy Shevchenko scored twice while Kakhaber Kaladze and Flippo Inzaghi chipped in with a goal to give their team a 4-0 victory over Boca. Many pundits predicted AC Milan to take the cup but not by such a large margin.

6th of December 2003

Our home match against 6th placed Gretna is a must win for us if we want to push for a mid table finish at the end of the season. Gretna has not won in the last five games with three draws and two losses. I will be disappointed if we don’t take all three points.

December 6th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 15 (h)

East Stirling V Gretna

East Stirling League Form: WLDLW Position: 8th

Gretna League Form: DLLDD Position: 6th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©-Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, James White, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Michael Stewart, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Paul McLean

While Paul Stuart Kelly is injured Paul McLean retains his spot on the bench. Dougie Polwart returns to the bench due to his lack of fitness allowing Jamie Mackay a starting spot. Roddy Maughan replaces the injured Gary McCulloh and slots into right back

Only ten minutes on the clock and we were one nil infront. Last matches man of the match McAuley was at the heart of the move chipping the ball over the defence to Ure. Ure swivelled, waited and crossed to Rodden who headed the ball into the net. Just before half time all our hard work was cancelled out after Cameron beat his defender and drilled a shot at goal. Connolly made a mess of the shot and it spun off his fingertips into the goal. One minute later we struck for the second time after a excellent tackle in midfield my Mackay. Mackay passed to Lappin who put in a cross to the edge of the penalty area. McAuley was in the right place at the right time and controlled the ball before powerfully striking the ball past the outstretched keeper off the post and in!

A quick attack by Gretna after the second half whistle started produced a great save by Connolly. White took control of a misguided Gretna pass and put a long ball over the defence. Ure took control of the ball and shot just over the crossbar. Gretna pulled level just before the 70th minute mark after another shot by Cameron found its way past a despairing Connolly 2-2.

East Stirling 2:2 Gretna

East Stirling Goals: McAuley (1), Rodden (1)

Gretna Goals: Cameron (2)

MoM: Martin Cameron (Gretna) Rating-10

Subs: Stewart on for Reid (63’), McLean on for Ure (63’), Leishman on for Livingstone (63’)

Booked: Galloway (Gretna), McGuffie (Gretna)

Attendance: 1421

It was disappointing to give up the lead twice in the match but I was generally impressed with the performances of the players and the team as a whole. If we can perform like this in every match of the season we should be able to gain my expected target.

Paul Rodden picked up a strain wrist in the Gretna match but will only be out for one day.

7th of December 2003

Today brings the first Scottish manager casualty this season. The Queens Park board ended Kenny Brannigan tenure at the club after losing ten out of their first fourteen matches. The club sits bottom of Division Three and the board feels a new manager may just be what the team needs.

The Scottish Cup 2nd round was drawn today. We were drawn away to Forfar and will play the match on the 17th of December 2003 at Station Park

11th of December 2003

After declaring my interest in Stenhousemuir’s forward Brian Crawford his manager came out and announced to the press that the player could leave if he wanted too.

I faxed a bid for Brain Crawford of £0 even though he was transfer listed for £1. I just hope they will allow him to come to our club because he is a excellent forward with great shooting, pace and general composure.

13th of December 2003

Today we visit Albion Rovers who currently hold 2nd place in the table. If we take a point from this match I will be extremely pleased because the opposition is in good form at the moment.

December 13th, 2003 Scottish Division Three Match 16 (a)

Albion Rovers V East Stirling

Albion Rovers League Form: WWWWL Position: 2nd

East Stirling League Form: DLDLW Position: 8th

</pre>

I named an unchanged line up for this tough encounter against Albion Rovers.

After five minutes a fast flowing passing move gave McAuley the chance to shoot from just outside the penalty area. Unselfishly he put the ball through to Rodden who could only direct the ball into the side netting. Both teams had chances in the first half an hour but we took the lead after a bullet header from Rodden. Albion Rovers had the best chances to score a goal in the last fifteen minutes of the first half. McAllister’s curling free kick almost found the top corner of the net but for the heroics of a diving Connolly to tip it over the crossbar.

A nice flowing move by Albion ended with a long ball being taken on the volley by Diack and almost lobbed over Connolly. The ball ended up just over the crossbar keeping the score at 1-0 to us. We seemed not to be able to get the ball away from our goal and we payed for it after Diak knocked in his own rebound after Connolly saved the initial effort 1-1. Five minutes later another save by Connolly fell to another Albion Rovers player by the name of McAllister and he put his team into the lead for the first time in the match 2-1. 10 minutes before time Diack wrapped the points up for the home side after reaching the edge of the box and drilling a shot past Connolly.

Albion Rovers 3:1 East Stirling

Albion Rovers Goals: Diack (2), McAllister (1)

East Stirling Goals: Rodden (1)

MoM: Iain Diack (Albion Rovers) Rating-9

Subs: Stewart on for McCulloh (47’), McLean on for Ure (66’), Leishman on for Livingstone (66’)

Booked: White (East Stirling), Sweeney (Albion Rovers)

Stadium: Cliftonhill

Attendance: 1646

I was really impressed with the determination and excellent play we showed for most of the first and second half. We kept the lead for a few minutes but in the end the class of Albion Rovers shone through and we just couldn’t keep up with them after they went into the next gear.

James White has picked up 16 disciplinary points and will miss our next match.

14th of December 2003

Division 1 club Inverness Caledonian Thistle sacked their manager John Robertson after a string of bad results left the club in 8th spot three points away from the relegation spots.

Queens Park approached me today and offered me the job as manager. I swiftly rejected the offer because I am with East Stirling for the long haul.

16th of December 2003

Stenhousemuir accepted my offer for their forward Brian Crawford and I gave him what he wanted. His contract off was a £150 per week with a £15 goal bonus for three seasons.

Thanks Bjorn icon_smile.gif,the good thing about Division 3 in Scotland is you cant get relegated icon_biggrin.gif(not to my knowledge-in the game anyway)

17th of December 2003

Here we were in our first match of the Scottish Cup. Forfar is fifth in Division 2 and will provide a tough challenge for us on the road. The main reason a win would do us good is the financial benefits moving into the third round could give the club if we hit a premier side.

December 17th, 2003 Scottish Cup Match 2nd Round (a)

Forfar V East Stirling

Forfar League Position: 5th

East Stirling League Position: 8th

</pre>

East Stirling (4-4-2) Jon Connolly ©-Gary McCulloh, Graeme McLaren, Michael Stewart, Craig Reid-Scott Livingstone, Gordon Lappin, Sean McAuley, Jamie Mackay- Paul Rodden, Derek Ure

Subs: Chris Todd (gk), Stephen Oates, Jordan Leishman, Dougie Polwart, Stuart Kelly

Stuart Kelly has regained full fitness following his injury and he takes a spot on the bench at the expense of Paul McLean who returns to the Under 20s squad. Stephen Oates takes a spot on the bench too while Michael Stewart takes James White’s first team centre back spot because of James’s one match ban.

It took twenty minutes before the first shot at goal occurred. A long ball found its way through our defence and Taylor latched onto it before smashing it over the crossbar. We had a chance just before half time when a long ball found Livingstone and his cross was knocked onto the bar by Derek Ure. Just before the half time whistle Derek Ure came off second best in a tackle and he was replaced by Stuart Kelly.

Forfar put the ball into the back of our net just after the restart but it was cancelled out as the player who had put in the cross was in a offside position when he received the ball. On the seventieth minute Mark Taylor was set on his way to goal but didn’t score due to the brave keeping of Connolly. Taylor had a few more chances in dying minutes but put them over the bar and we held on to claim a 0-0 draw away from home and force the replay.

Forfar 0:0 East Stirling

Forfar Goals: -

MoM: Michael Stewart (East Stirling) Rating-8

Subs: Kelly on for Ure (45’), Polwart on for McAuley (64’), Leishman on for Livingstone (64’)

Stadium: Station Park

Attendance: 2080

My physio reported to me after the game that Derek Ure’s injury would only keep him out for one day and he would be ready for our replay against Forfar in four days time.

This match showed that we can play good football and our defence can hold up against a mid table side in Division 2. Now we just need to win the tie at home in front of our fans.

18th of December 2003

The Scottish Cup 3rd Round was drawn today giving us a match at home against Elgin if we progress past Forfar.

19th of December 2003

Today we signed Brian Crawford from Stenhousemuir and he will join the club on the 1st of January 2004. We beat Alloa in the race for this talented forward and he should feature in our first team while he is fit.

Archived