Suggestion to improve online FM

Firstly i would just like to say im loving FM09, my fav FM so far!

My only disappointment was that there wasn't a single improvement for playing online. Alot of people such as myself can only play online because once you have had a taste of it it's hard to play single player on your own without getting bored quickly.

Ok back on topic, i wasn't sure where to post this so i just put it here. The following are some suggestions or improvements i would like to see in future versions of FM.

1.Continuing

A group of us (7) recently started an online game, however it has taken us around 9 hours just to get past august. This is because each day takes 8 or 9 clicks on continue to get through a single day. I would suggest that there be an option to choose the maximum continue's per day, i think 2 maybe 3 would be fine.

2.Admin control and passwords

At present there is a "super" password that allows the game host to overwrite any players passwords thus making passwords useless. The solution to this would be to allow the game hosts to retire someone from the game without having to log into a players account to do so, the host shouldn't be able to get into other players teams.

3.Match speed

There should be an option for the host to set a minimum/maximum match speed and highlight settings, we had an incident recently where one person was playing on full match and didn't relise for 20 minutes! In the end i had to holiday him as there was no response via in game message or on MSN (because he was in a match)

Those are my 3 main issues with playing online but this isn't a moan thread, infact i don't know if SI have intentionally done it but online seems to have increased for non host players, alot more smoother which is great!

As we play more i will update this thread with how i feel the game could be improved for online gamers, i hope other people have a few suggestions too!

The main thing though is continuing at the moment, i dread another 9 hours worth of january transfers :p

1.Continuing

taken us around 9 hours just to get past august.

9 hours??? how many league are you running????

am running with 8 and we into October, that took 9 hours. (running full english large DB with all home nations players)

2.Admin control and passwords

the host shouldn't be able to get into other players teams.

Its all about trust

3.Match speed

one person was playing on full match and didn't relise for 20 minutes! In the end i had to holiday him as there was no response via in game message or on MSN (because he was in a match)

20mins and he didn't see his msn flashing or making a noise, better still he didn't stop and say 'wow this highlight has been going for a while' : ditch MSN and get all members on headsets using Skype, then you can scream at them.

We do have auto timer on, but we dont want to rush everyone through pre-season it's a very important time.

The problem is like i have stated, we all have to press continue 8 or 9 days each per day and because of that it takes far too long, having an options to reduce it would be fantastic.

I agree with that, the game stops every 15 minutes sometimes for 1 person having news. How much trouble would it be for the game to stop at say 8:00, 14:00 and 22:00? Obviously on deadline day it could have more as people try to thrash out last minute deals but stopping so often every single day is madness and there's no way around it

not everybody or cland play every day of preseason as its too slow and takes too long to do so a lot of people and clans miss 2 or 3 weeks of pre season such as go on holiday day after last game of season and then stay on holiday till end of june early july as that still gives you roughly 4 weeks to prepare for start of season and 3 months of transfer window left which is plenty of time

I think you guys are missing the point, we are not stupid players, we do holiday between games, noone is taking longer than anyone else, it is the game design that is slowing us down, so i simply made a suggestion to add an option for future versions that can help bigger games be quicker.

It wasn't supposed to be a debate just an idea, i would rather other people posted their own ideas to improve online play than having ago at the above suggestions.

Their ideas and people want to expand on them and discuss them, thats why we´ve left the thread open.

It varies clan to clan, some can play through very quickly and others not, pre-season is always a pain, has been in every version even in CM, although back in them days once you got pre-season over you´d easily finish a season in one session.

I skip pre-season, well not skip I let my ass manager do it all. I was playing FM08 with 5 other people and I agree that it takes a while, only really in the transfer windows and I agree there should be an option for optional continues. Like Jambo says just come back say at certain times even if it’s only the transfer window.

I wouldnt mind the 3 or 4 times a day continue and deadline days how ever many times. Tiz a reasonable idea.

passwords and match speed, cant argue with what Davie (stab) said. Its all about trust, if you cant trust the host dont play with him. As for the speed, thats why the host is there holidaying someone who doesnt answer is a much done thing, if the person didnt realise then they are drunk or stupid.

For the trust issue, most people just look on here and add a clan maker on their MSN and join a game, there is no way you can trust someone who you have known for such a little time, i dont see why the host should have the ability to simply check others teams anyway. Remove the super password and add a host control panel, just common sense to me! :)

Another suggestion not only for online play but for all FM would be to make sure the loading match screen is pre-loaded before games, but that's just a personal annoyance thing :p

For the trust issue, most people just look on here and add a clan maker on their MSN and join a game, there is no way you can trust someone who you have known for such a little time, i dont see why the host should have the ability to simply check others teams anyway. Remove the super password and add a host control panel, just common sense to me! :)

I don’t know what games you’ve played in, but I hosted a FM Clan game and if you feel you cant trust the Host then its pointless playing……..but give them a chance..........

I took pride in hosting in that the game was loaded up on Clan night played then saved till next clan night. If your wanting a good game you need to trust that the Host has no interest in the other players game apart from actually when its clan night.What would be the point after all for the host as they want a game worth playing….

More concerned people might be put off by the way this Forum is looking with multiple closed threads that are turned useless….when given there chance with a few more posts might actually get people playing………..there must be a better way to get players on to that ask anything thread...........at the very least can you not delete them..........after they are closed........

I don’t know what games you’ve played in, but I hosted a FM Clan game and if you feel you cant trust the Host then its pointless playing……..but give them a chance..........

I took pride in hosting in that the game was loaded up on Clan night played then saved till next clan night. If your wanting a good game you need to trust that the Host has no interest in the other players game apart from actually when its clan night.What would be the point after all for the host as they want a game worth playing….

More concerned people might be put off by the way this Forum is looking with multiple closed threads that are turned useless….when given there chance with a few more posts might actually get people playing………..there must be a better way to get players on to that ask anything thread...........at the very least can you not delete them..........after they are closed........

Your kinda of missing my point, i am the host of my clan's game everyone in it does trust me and that's fine, however when a few of the guys joined they had never spoken to me, they didn't know me and it would be impossible to trust me.

But putting trust aside, surely it would be much better to have an admin/host panel rather than a useless password system?

As for this forum and it's mass thread closure then i have to agree with you, it is very off putting.

Finding a new way of getting people online is also a great choice, although i can't see SI going for that as there is no money for them to be made in doing so.

The threads can be deleted that are closed, however, then the user wont see the standard response or know where they can go for help.

I mean to counter this, the thread could be deleted after 1-2 days perhaps.

Its just a lot of administrative work to do all these things.

However, i am always thinking about a different way for the forum, its just how to put these best to use for the good of the forum.

Your kinda of missing my point, i am the host of my clan's game everyone in it does trust me and that's fine, however when a few of the guys joined they had never spoken to me, they didn't know me and it would be impossible to trust me.

Well if they are joining your game and have followed say your Clan thread if you have one, then they just have to bite the bullet and put a level of trust in………We don’t want anything that can lock the host out………as our clan found out with a player coming in and then pass wording there team and then leaving….worse still was the guy who because of a last minute hitch offered that he could host when he was new……..he more or less changed and edited his team and signed 200 players with no wages………I kid you not………..

So would you rather a forum full of the same topics over and over again, full of IP addresses, email/msn addresses and basically a free for all to do what they want?

Just a pity that you could not have a system that when the thread starter log’s in again after his / her thread is closed, he/she is faced with say your set piece that gets pasted about the closed threads and the thread they posted deleted………… a kind of Auto response that means they get the info next log-in and the threads get deleted and the place does not look so poor.....

I think its just the lack of clan games….place used to be full of great Clan threads……with banners and the works……

• 2 weeks later...

Archived