Creating a New Nation - Activating Continent (FM20)

The Gold Guard

I haven't constructed a new nation from one of the extinct nations in a very long time and it has changed over the last few editions.

If anyone can assist or guide me to something that already provides the instructions to reactivate the continent tab in FM20 - that'd be greatly appreciated.

It's easier to replace an existing nation than activating a defunct one. If you do a search, there are lots of people who've tried this before and it's not different in FM20 than to do it in past versions of the FM Editor. 

Thanks for the response. I actually did that before I posted this to make Western Australia as an independent nation and replaced Northern Marianas however every new player has West Aussie names but ALWAYS is US second nationality due to the hardcode. Just gotta find which ones are good to use but would preferably activate extinct nations.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

What are you looking for in terms of names and ethnicitiy?

Ideally multicultural like australia but I'd be content if they just had no secondary nationalities and just fill up the database with a vast array of names.

Pre 1922 Ireland is usually a good one. Alternatively you could take one of the Pacific Islands, except for American Samoa and Wallis and Futuna. Those have secondary nationality for sure. Maybe Cook Islands would work for you, but chances are they have second nationality New Zealand. 

4 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Pre 1922 Ireland is usually a good one. Alternatively you could take one of the Pacific Islands, except for American Samoa and Wallis and Futuna. Those have secondary nationality for sure. Maybe Cook Islands would work for you, but chances are they have second nationality New Zealand. 

Yeah I literally want to know how to activate Pre 1922 Ireland. That was my original intent.

On 24/04/2020 at 03:57, The Gold Guard said:

I haven't constructed a new nation from one of the extinct nations in a very long time and it has changed over the last few editions.

If anyone can assist or guide me to something that already provides the instructions to reactivate the continent tab in FM20 - that'd be greatly appreciated.

1. Download the FM20 Resource Archiver from Steam and launch it.
  2. Click "Extract Archive" and find the file "comp editor.fmf" in your Steam folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data"
  3. Select a folder to extract the files to
  4. In the new folder, find "nation.xml" an open it.
  5. Note that there are 2 files called "nation.xml", but only 1 has the following text:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

<flags id="field" value="Ncti" />

<translation id="name" translation_id="229389" type="use" value="Continent" />

<flags id="type" value="database_record_unique_id" />

<flags id="database_table_type" value="continent" />

<boolean id="is_client_field" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_optional" value="true" />

</record>

7. Change row <boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" /> to <boolean id="is_read_only" value="false" />

8. Save the xml file

9. Before you go to the next step, make a backup of your "comp editor.fmf" file in case the process goes wrong for whatever reason
  10. Go to the Resource Archiver and package the file back together: Click "Create Archive" and save the archive file in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data" folder.
  11. Only overwrite the existing file there if you had made a backup of it.
  12. Launch the Editor and it should work.

I had the same issues when I tried to edit a continent after a few years away from FM. Hopefully this helps.

Edited by Unknown Hacker
Tidied things up a bit

On 02/05/2020 at 04:18, Unknown Hacker said:
  2. Click "Extract Archive" and find the file "comp editor.fmf" in your Steam folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data"
  5. Note that there are 2 files called "nation.xml", but only 1 has the following text:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

</record>

7. Change row <boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" /> to <boolean id="is_read_only" value="false" />

8. Save the xml file

9. Before you go to the next step, make a backup of your "comp editor.fmf" file in case the process goes wrong for whatever reason
  10. Go to the Resource Archiver and package the file back together: Click "Create Archive" and save the archive file in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data" folder.

I had the same issues when I tried to edit a continent after a few years away from FM. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks so much legend!

I might make a youtube video for this so that visual learners can have an easier grasp.

Can't wait to get cracking with this <3 

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 22:18, Unknown Hacker said:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

</record>

8. Save the xml file

Thank you very much

• 1 year later...
On 01/05/2020 at 23:18, Unknown Hacker said:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

</record>

8. Save the xml file

If i chose Crimea, do i need to do the same?

On 13/11/2021 at 18:09, Wolf_pd said:

No, but Crimea does have some other disadvantages, like it won't work as seperate nation in international competitions.

So, I chose ireland (activated the continent). What now needs to be set up in order for clubs to participate in the Champions League/Europa League... And the nation in international competitions?

On 14/11/2021 at 00:09, Wolf_pd said:

No, but Crimea does have some other disadvantages, like it won't work as seperate nation in international competitions.

And other unique things about Crimea? I want to make a split off Siberian league from Russia and was planning on resurrecting the CIS or USSR to do so, but if Crimea aren't able to appear in international competitions that would actually be a benefit to me, so maybe I'll use them instead.