Thiago Almada - again...

There is so much mentioning about Thiago Almada, this and that. But I cant find the system in which he would show me his whole skill set. He's in my team for the second year now but i get nothing from him. No assists (WHICH I THINK IS HIS MAIN STRENGHT). I mostly play him in the AM position, where i basically tried the traquerista, ap a/s, even enganche as the side prime creator, am a/s, but nothing happens. Its just like he's there and thats that. He doesnt add anything to my team, that extra move that we are all searching for. How do you guys get the most out of him, if i wasnt talking about Almada i would think this is some not even mediocre player which should be sold fast. I dont know if u need my tactic but i'm playing like this:

CF    CF

Almada (all the roles i tried with him)

MEZ/sup RPM BBM

FB/sup CD BPD FB/att

So its 4 3 1 2. PLease, help me get Almada to work and make him the hero we need and want right now.                                                                                                                                     

I can't give you an exact solution because I would need to get an idea of what other sort of players you have. But from what I know of Almada, he is kind of a typical no.10 looking to play through balls to attacking forwards. To allow him to make through balls, you would need to Stretch the opposition to create spaces in between defenders to do a through ball. In your formation, this would be done by making sure the wingbacks stay fairly high and wide. This can also be done by confusing the defenders, a good way of doing this would be dropping one of your strikers to an F9 or DLFs  and having the CM on the same side attack the box, either by being a BBM or CMa with Gets into opposition box. This causes the players to swap positions. Almada as a treq or ap will likely roam about looking for space. so the DLF or F9 can also link the midfield and attack for then Almada moves about. Make sure the other striker is either an AF or P, This will mean he makes runs past the opposition dLine, which gives Almada a target to make through balls to. Finally, to make sure that your attacking players have a solid base to work off, I would make sure your other 2 midfield roles are more defensive to cover for your attackers. Probably make them CMd and CAR. Also use Work ball into box to make sure you are looking to create chances via Through balls instead of crosses.

DLFs          AF

Treq

CMa       CMd         CAR

WBs              CD   CD                          WBa

As Almada is more technical than he is physical, he would be better in a team that sees more of the ball, so maybe it would be a good idea to Press a bit higher, and/or play with shorter passing.

4 hours ago, blejdek said:

CF    CF

Almada (all the roles i tried with him)

MEZ/sup RPM BBM

FB/sup CD BPD FB/att

The key problem here is not Almada and/or his role, but your setup of roles and duties as a whole. So many roaming and exotic roles overall, both strikers in the same role (duties are not specified, but nevertheless), lack of balance, no holding/covering midfielder... And this is just about roles and duties, since we still don't know anything about your instructions (including the team mentality).  

20 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The key problem here is not Almada and/or his role, but your setup of roles and duties as a whole. So many roaming and exotic roles overall, both strikers in the same role (duties are not specified, but nevertheless), lack of balance, no holding/covering midfielder... And this is just about roles and duties, since we still don't know anything about your instructions (including the team mentality).  

This is my tactic currently.

tactic.png

5 hours ago, Jack722 said:

I can't give you an exact solution because I would need to get an idea of what other sort of players you have. But from what I know of Almada, he is kind of a typical no.10 looking to play through balls to attacking forwards. To allow him to make through balls, you would need to Stretch the opposition to create spaces in between defenders to do a through ball. In your formation, this would be done by making sure the wingbacks stay fairly high and wide. This can also be done by confusing the defenders, a good way of doing this would be dropping one of your strikers to an F9 or DLFs  and having the CM on the same side attack the box, either by being a BBM or CMa with Gets into opposition box. This causes the players to swap positions. Almada as a treq or ap will likely roam about looking for space. so the DLF or F9 can also link the midfield and attack for then Almada moves about. Make sure the other striker is either an AF or P, This will mean he makes runs past the opposition dLine, which gives Almada a target to make through balls to. Finally, to make sure that your attacking players have a solid base to work off, I would make sure your other 2 midfield roles are more defensive to cover for your attackers. Probably make them CMd and CAR. Also use Work ball into box to make sure you are looking to create chances via Through balls instead of crosses.

DLFs          AF

Treq

CMa       CMd         CAR

WBs              CD   CD                          WBa

As Almada is more technical than he is physical, he would be better in a team that sees more of the ball, so maybe it would be a good idea to Press a bit higher, and/or play with shorter passing.

Here is the report from match against Chelsea. I think it went quite well. The only difference i made is i changed CMd to DLP(def). I also added the tactics so we talk about what to change, what do i need to understand, going forward with Leeds. I usually go wtih balanced or positive mentality. This defensive one was in corelation to Chelsea team.

Tactics.png

Match.png

5 hours ago, blejdek said:

tactic.png

This tactic has a different setup of roles and duties than the initial one I was commenting, but it's still far from optimal. And btw, I do not see Almada among the starting 11 in this setup. 

Looking at your tactic - both roles/duties and instructions - It's hard to figure out what style of football you are actually looking to play (except that it obviously is not defensive-minded), so that's the first question you need to answer. 

But in any case, instructions such as distribute to PM and tight marking can hardly make any sense in this type of tactical setup (although for different reasons).

11 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

This tactic has a different setup of roles and duties than the initial one I was commenting, but it's still far from optimal. And btw, I do not see Almada among the starting 11 in this setup. 

Looking at your tactic - both roles/duties and instructions - It's hard to figure out what style of football you are actually looking to play (except that it obviously is not defensive-minded), so that's the first question you need to answer. 

But in any case, instructions such as distribute to PM and tight marking can hardly make any sense in this type of tactical setup (although for different reasons).

Yeah, this one is made after the @Jack722 made his comment about Almada and what should i change. After reading his comment i made this changes, the last screenshot i made. I try to play attacking football, with possesion on my side and trying to get the ball back as soon as i loose it. i have tight marking cauze i try to eliminate the opponents options to make a pass, which should work with pressing the opponents or ?

Em 24/04/2020 em 12:57, Waseyx disse:

I played him in a 4312 as a AP(A) behind a DLF(S) and an AF and he did great for me. 15 goals and 13 assists in 39 games.

@Waseyx what setup are you currently running? Seems like a great production for an AMC as everyone has experiencing difficulties with the 4312 narrow formation.

6 hours ago, blejdek said:

Yeah, this one is made after the @Jack722 made his comment about Almada and what should i change. After reading his comment i made this changes, the last screenshot i made. I try to play attacking football, with possesion on my side and trying to get the ball back as soon as i loose it. i have tight marking cauze i try to eliminate the opponents options to make a pass, which should work with pressing the opponents or ?

I understand why you opted to use tight marking, but you need to take the whole context of a tactic into account when it comes to any instruction (not just marking). Of course, this also applies to selection of roles and duties, not just instructions. Tight marking makes (a lot more) sense in defensive-minded, compact and (preferably bottom-heavy) tactical systems, which yours is definitely not one of. 

But I noticed from your recent posts that this new tactic actually works well for you in terms of results, so ignore my remarks and do not make changes for now. If it stops working, we can discuss potential tweaks again :thup:

My Almada tears teams apart from the wings,  and delivers some exceptional results. Having said that on twitch he is being overshadowed lately by my newgen who is absolutely owning that position since I admonished him and loaned him out. He came back hell bent on having something to prove and he has been absolutely amazing for us. I don't know how Almada will get back into my side again. I am going to have to make some big decisions for tonights champions league and coppa Italia final.  I need Almada on the pitch because he is deadly at set pieces.

If anyone is going to be tight marking, please make sure the player can mark.

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I understand why you opted to use tight marking, but you need to take the whole context of a tactic into account when it comes to any instruction (not just marking). Of course, this also applies to selection of roles and duties, not just instructions. Tight marking makes (a lot more) sense in defensive-minded, compact and (preferably bottom-heavy) tactical systems, which yours is definitely not one of. 

But I noticed from your recent posts that this new tactic actually works well for you in terms of results, so ignore my remarks and do not make changes for now. If it stops working, we can discuss potential tweaks again :thup:

Hey defender. It is working (at least for now) in a superb fashion. After the Chelsea and Norwich i beat Brentford 3-0 and Fulham 2-0. Both matches were very heavy on my side. I controled possesion, have 2x,3x more shots on target, basically i have controlled both matches from start to finish i could say. But i'll be back when/if things starting to change and see if we can make any adjustments about it. Thanks for now and thanks till then :) If u have any other idea feel free to write it down. 

15 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

My Almada tears teams apart from the wings,  and delivers some exceptional results. Having said that on twitch he is being overshadowed lately by my newgen who is absolutely owning that position since I admonished him and loaned him out. He came back hell bent on having something to prove and he has been absolutely amazing for us. I don't know how Almada will get back into my side again. I am going to have to make some big decisions for tonights champions league and coppa Italia final.  I need Almada on the pitch because he is deadly at set pieces.

If anyone is going to be tight marking, please make sure the player can mark.

How is your newgen then looking out? I find it hard to believe you cant find place for Almada when u got the newgen in team :)

I've got some decent seasons out of him tbh, I normally struggle with a n0.10 but in his 1st season, he played the AM on attack, scored 11, assisted 6, last season I tweaked the system slightly and he was still AM but on support and it flipped round and he scored 5 and assisted 10. So far this season, in 7 games he's assisted 4 goals.