What is going on with Haaland on this game?

He's currently on 12 in 18 on my team that is doing fairly well sitting in fourth in the prem however, the rate he misses chances literally makes no sense at all. I've uploaded a match to this for everyone to watch. Inexplicably, it ended 1-0 and it wasn't only Haaland having an off day but if you watch this game on comprehensive and you just look at the chances he's missing - I just don't get it. If this was a one match thing then fine, it happens. This seems to happen every other game. Before you say tactics, the chances he misses are all in the box, should be his bread and butter. His actual attributes are insane which makes it all the more baffling. If anyone can help me understand I will be very grateful. 1296231694_ScreenShot2020-04-24at12_15_16PM.thumb.png.c29e236a6eea39884fd884b2cfa92cf7.png

Brighton v Greenwich.pkm

I have bought Haaland for my AC Milan side in 2022/23 and halfway through the 2028/2029, I must say that 30+ goal seasons are Haaland's default option. Indeed, sometimes he is squandering chances like crazy, but then he compensates with scoring 3 the next game. Also, in your save he's still quite young (only 21), he'll get better with time. 15 goals in 24 matches is still a great job. If he'd score them all, people would call him too OP.

Edited by ilaixraic

Remember Jermain Defoe (in real life) shooting from anywhere and everywhere through his career.

Scored a load but took a load of chances to do so.

Not seen a lot of Haarland in real-life. I’d not complain about 12 in 18 games though!

Bought him after my first season at real Madrid for 65 mill.....

I was rather underwhelmed by his performances overall to be honest, he would go hot and cold.

I once saw him miss not one but two open goals in a champions league final.

Kept him around 'just in case' he turned out to be a lethal world class striker...he never quite made it and after 5 seasons I decided to move him on and sold him to man Utd for 63 mill...

Da silva is a much better striker and he's my first choice so Haaland was shipped out, no regrets.

Edited by Amnesia92

4 hours ago, Vicz said:

He's currently on 12 in 18 on my team that is doing fairly well sitting in fourth in the prem however, the rate he misses chances literally makes no sense at all. I've uploaded a match to this for everyone to watch. Inexplicably, it ended 1-0 and it wasn't only Haaland having an off day but if you watch this game on comprehensive and you just look at the chances he's missing - I just don't get it. If this was a one match thing then fine, it happens. This seems to happen every other game. Before you say tactics, the chances he misses are all in the box, should be his bread and butter. His actual attributes are insane which makes it all the more baffling. If anyone can help me understand I will be very grateful. 1296231694_ScreenShot2020-04-24at12_15_16PM.thumb.png.c29e236a6eea39884fd884b2cfa92cf7.png

Brighton v Greenwich.pkm 463.45 kB · 4 downloads

Strikers dun score all the good chances they get in real life no matter how good they are. u can look at big chances missed statistics in Europe and u will see plenty of good strikers on the top of the list. In fact u can compare top 20 players who score the most goals in EPL and compare with players who missed most big chances and u will find most players appear on both of the list. The theory behind this is something called shot volume. Researchers have found that for a striker to score consistently they need to shoot more. Top strikers usually took around 4 to 5 shots per game if they are on a more dominant team and around 3 shots per game if their team is less dominant. They will also need to generate around 1.5 to 2.5 shots on target per 90 to score consistently. Hence the secret of scoring goals is more about getting in the right place to shoot rather than having a good conversion rate. Hence haaland might just be having a bad form criticize him if it is going on for few games and he will go back to normal if he is shooting enough.

I bought Haaland for my Wolves team when he was 21. He's been quite underwhelming for me despite me winning the league and Champions Leauge, but to be honest,  I think most of the problems are down to the match engine (although I'm sure I would be told it's my tactics...)

He regularly misses so many easy chances, but then so does every other striker I've used. Practically all of his goals come from headers via corners or long throws (again, down to the match engine IMO...)

He has the trait 'Likes to beat offside trap' but using him as a pressing forward he is never on the shoulder of the last defender. During a counter attack he will just drop back and allow the player with the ball to burst ahead of him instead of trying to get into a good position.

I believe that strikers are broken in the game as I've loaned out both Cutrone and Raul Jiminez and they both scored 20 and 16 goals for Ajax and Roma respectively.  They come back to me and both just miss chance after chance once again. Funny enough, they all manage to score a one on one when they are offside though...

Edited by GJF82

In FM 19 I had average strikers being top goalscorers while I was weaker side and they had a lot of space and when I was stronger team I had much better players struggling to score in one particular tactic. I tried replacing strikers and some were better but they didn't manage to be top goalscorers. I don't mean to say that the game is broken in that regard, it might just be that I couldn't make them firing in that particular tactic but I am sure that it is much harder to get them firing when you are top team the it was in some previous versions of the game.

From what I could understand from reading the forum, ME makes some calculations then chooses appropriate animations a nd sometimes that animations are not that good. Since I read that I am far less annoyed at things like for example, when my player is closer to the ball but just runs too slow and it looks like he is letting the opposition player to get the ball first. I am sure everybody have seen situations like that. Or some of the misses that just look unrealistic. I just accapted that the game as good as it can be, has it's flaws and that is one of them.

In short issues with missing may come from tactical setup or they are just misrepresented in ME. 12 goals in 18 games is not so bad, personally I wouldnt consider that to be issue at all.

i have made a table that shows the top 20 players with the most goals and how many big chances have they missed this season. note that with the exception of kane and ings, other players that are in the top 20 goalscorer list but not in the top 20 chances missed most of the time start as wingers or inside forwards. a consistent top scorer doesnt equate to a skilled finisher all the time.

stats.PNG

I have Haaland in my game and while he does score at about a goal a game, he does miss a noticeable number as well.  I suppose that there have been a few prolific strikers like that through the ages- they need 3 chances every game to get 1 goal but their stats at the end of the season look very good.

14 hours ago, Amnesia92 said:

Bought him after my first season at real Madrid for 65 mill.....

I was rather underwhelmed by his performances overall to be honest, he would go hot and cold.

I once saw him miss not one but two open goals in a champions league final.

Kept him around 'just in case' he turned out to be a lethal world class striker...he never quite made it and after 5 seasons I decided to move him on and sold him to man Utd for 63 mill...

Da silva is a much better striker and he's my first choice so Haaland was shipped out, no regrets.

Typical Real.... feck up all worldies. He needs a season and half to adapt. Scored over 50 for me after a season and a half.

The ME happens. The whole development updating cycle of FM 2020 had issues with strikers scoring 1v1 and the latest update is certainly not excluded from this. Altough the issues were somewhat alleviated.

I think a lot of it is how flawed this ME is.

He scores goals but he misses way too many. He will nearly always score headers but just cannot score tap ins. I think, as well as it being just the "quirks" of the ME, it has something to do with his "tries first time shots" PPM.

Haaland for me has 141 shots and 80 on target with only 20 goals to show from it. I don't think that's good enough and I don't see how that fits with SI's insistence that conversion rates meet the real life stats.

Erling Haaland_ Career Stats.png

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

He scores goals but he misses way too many. He will nearly always score headers but just cannot score tap ins. I think, as well as it being just the "quirks" of the ME, it has something to do with his "tries first time shots" PPM.

Haaland for me has 141 shots and 80 on target with only 20 goals to show from it. I don't think that's good enough and I don't see how that fits with SI's insistence that conversion rates meet the real life stats.

I also think that part of the problem is that they create too many chances, that's why they don't score too much. If they created less chaces, say 100 shot and 60 on target with 20 goals it would become more realistic.

lets say haaland plays 2700 minutes from the 30 matches he started:

141/30=around 4.7 shots per 90

80/30=2.67 shots on target per 90

20/30=0.67 goals per 90 or 135 minutes per goal

shots on target per 90 is on the high side but is not unheard of. other stats are pretty much similar to what u would expect from a top striker in real life. nothing unrealistic here. and he scored only one penalty so u can safely exclude that.

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I also think that part of the problem is that they create too many chances, that's why they don't score too much. If they created less chances, say 100 shot and 60 on target with 20 goals it would become more realistic.

100 shots and 60 on target with 20 goals will be realistic if he is in a counter attacking team playing at least 30 games. since he is not in a counter attacking team, based on my calculations except for the quite high shots on target per 90 other statistics seem very normal to me. haaland might be underperforming his goals a bit but it is not very far from the norm.

3 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

lets say haaland plays 2700 minutes from the 30 matches he started:

141/30=around 4.7 shots per 90

80/30=2.67 shots on target per 90

20/30=0.67 goals per 90 or 135 minutes per goal

shots on target per 90 is on the high side but is not unheard of. other stats are pretty much similar to what u would expect from a top striker in real life. nothing unrealistic here. and he scored only one penalty so u can safely exclude that.

The last person to hit over 80 shots on target in a full season was Suarez in 13/14. Kane has hit 70's twice since. Both Kane and Suarez shoot from everywhere too, whereas Haaland is very much a box player.

Just now, ajw10 said:

The last person to hit over 80 shots on target in a full season was Suarez in 13/14. Kane has hit 70's twice since. Both Kane and Suarez shoot from everywhere too, whereas Haaland is very much a box player.

how is suarez not a box player too may i excuse me? and 80 shots on target need to be put in perspective how many minutes have they played? u need to divide them to per 90 stats to get an accurate picture and consider how the team uses their strikers. and i have said earlier haaland might be underperforming a bit but it is not very far from what u would expect and he is scoring 0.67 goals per 90 which is quite high already.

4 hours ago, ajw10 said:

I agree with the conclusion. From what I see, defenders lose containment on attackers too easily, and then a one on one chance is created. There are far too many of these incidents in each match, so you can't have attackers score with any degree of proficiency or we would have 6-5 scorelines. In real life, defenders can actually keep themselves between attacker and goal.