Chasing goal with a defensive tactic

If i choose to play with a structured 4-4-2 who aim to score at counter attacks, how do I do when I really need to score a goal?

Say if you are playing against a team that is at a lower level than yours and play defensively, or you are down 0-2 with 45 minutes to play. Do you just change the mentality to attack/control? Or do you raise the defensive line and increase pressing?

How do you deal with situations like these?

2 hours ago, Belkemi1 said:

If i choose to play with a structured 4-4-2 who aim to score at counter attacks, how do I do when I really need to score a goal?

Say if you are playing against a team that is at a lower level than yours and play defensively, or you are down 0-2 with 45 minutes to play. Do you just change the mentality to attack/control? Or do you raise the defensive line and increase pressing?

How do you deal with situations like these?

can u post a screenshot of your tactics here? without that ppl dont even know where to start. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

can u post a screenshot of your tactics here? without that ppl dont even know where to start. Thanks!

My idea is to play on the counter, with balls behind opp's defence. If you have other thoughts about the tactics, please tell me! :) 

Skärmavbild 2020-04-26 kl. 11.44.06.png

4 hours ago, Belkemi1 said:

Skärmavbild 2020-04-26 kl. 11.44.06.png

4 hours ago, Belkemi1 said:

My idea is to play on the counter, with balls behind opp's defence

I'll tell you what my suggestions would be - instruction by instruction:

1. Cautious mentality - not necessary for a counter-minded tactic; moreover, the balanced (or even positive) tends to work better, as they encourage quicker attacking transitions compared to the cautious or defensive

2. Extremely direct passing - depends on the mentality; if you stay on the cautious mentality, then more direct passing is okay (not necessarily extremely direct though)

3. Pass into space - makes sense (although may not necessarily be employed all the time)

4. Early crosses - also makes sense (although would have a better effect on a bit higher mentality)

5. Higher tempo - as with passing, depends partly on the mentality; but under the cautious mentality - makes sense absolutely

6. Wide attacking width - not really (unless you want a sort of hybrid between wing-play and direct counter styles); I would leave it on default

7. Take long kicks & Distribute over opposition defence - only if you want to play a hoofball (route one) style (rather than a standard counter style)

8. Counter - sounds like a logical choice, but... believe or not, it's not always necessary even in a counter-attacking tactic (think about that ;) )

9. Regroup - probably not needed in this particular tactic, given that it's already defensive enough (so be wary of tactical overkill)

10. Defend narrower - depends on your team's defensive strengths and weaknesses (do they look better at defending crosses or centrally focused opposition attacks); if you are not sure, just leave it on standard (default)

11. Lower defensive line & standard line of engagement - NO! Switch to the exact opposite - standard D-line & lower LOE - to get optimal compactness, which is vital for this type of football style

12. Get stuck in - yes (but only if you follow my suggestion on the previous point (D-line & LOE combo)

13. Use tight marking - most probably NOT (might work under certain circumstances, but can turn out to be a double-edged sword); more urgent pressing would make more sense, but only if you stay on the cautious mentality; however, if you up the mentality to the balanced or positive, then default pressing is usually the best choice (although this may vary from team to team)

When it comes to roles & duties, here are some tips as well:

1. When you want to play a counter-oriented style of football - either classic counter or hoofball - it's advisable to have both strikers on attack duty (with complementary roles, of course)

2. Both CBs as NCBs - only if you want a hoofball style

3. DLP on defend duty - in this particular style of play - taking into account the 442 formation as well -  I would rather avoid the DLP as a role (especially on defend duty) and would consider a standard CM on defend duty instead

QUESTION: Which are your strikers' respective preferred feet?

Would it be more safer and/or maybe even more threating for the opponent, if passing and tempo were left on standard (maybe passing even in shorter) but with an attacking mentality? All the rest remain the same. 

Also, using a 4-4-2 probably against teams that have +1 player in the middle of the park (i.e. 4-3-3 DM, or 4-2-3-1) would focusing playing down the flanks could give an extra edge?