Overlap and underlap in wingerless formation

Hello all,

I have noticed that the standard vertical tikitaka set up with 532 formation uses underlaps team instruction. In this instance is the player who is looking for the underlap = the wingback?. I.E The wingbacks look for a midfielder or striker to make a run inside them, not crossing but instead playing an angled through ball? This is my current understanding but have seen in other forums different things posted.

Also in relation to this does the Overlap instruction again in wingerless formation ask the wingbacks to overlap the midfield or striker: or the wingbacks are looking for the overlap from the center backs

One last question would be what is the difference between exploiting neither the middle or the flanks... Or instead middle and overlap....   Tempo and counterattacking style?

I would be grateful if anyone where to help with this.

In wingerless formations, an overlap/underlap instruction only serves to slightly increase the individual mentality of the related fullback or wing-back. But it does not lead to an actual overlap or underlap, because only a winger (i.e. wide forward or wide midfielder) can be overlapped by his fullback/wing-back. Overlaps/underlaps do not involve centrally located players. 

In formations that employ wingers (players in wide midfield and wide forward positions), an overlap/underlap instruction slightly reduces the mentality of the winger in addition to increasing that of the fullback/wing-back.

I know this may sound a bit complex, but I hope you understand :) 

In a wingerless formation say 532 I would be inclined to exploit the middle of the pitch and look for overlaps from the wingbacks.This set up I am guessing favors Holding shape rather than counter attacking, giving time for the wing backs to get up the field and overlap? However if you on the other extreme exploit the flanks in this system would better suit counterattacking? Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong.

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

In wingerless formations, an overlap/underlap instruction only serves to slightly increase the individual mentality of the related fullback or wing-back. But it does not lead to an actual overlap or underlap, because only a winger (i.e. wide forward or wide midfielder) can be overlapped by his fullback/wing-back. Overlaps/underlaps do not involve centrally located players. 

In formations that employ wingers (players in wide midfield and wide forward positions), an overlap/underlap instruction slightly reduces the mentality of the winger in addition to increasing that of the fullback/wing-back.

I know this may sound a bit complex, but I hope you understand :) 

Firstly thanks for your response.

I am not looking to be confrontational but.... are you sure about the wingerless underlap explanation? My understanding and I have observed matches is that the player in the wide position be it the wingback or an advanced forward looks inside for a run from an onrushing midfielder? I will continue to experiment with this.

2 minutes ago, Corperate said:

In a wingerless formation say 532 I would be inclined to exploit the middle of the pitch and look for overlaps from the wingbacks.This set up I am guessing favors Holding shape rather than counter attacking, giving time for the wing backs to get up the field and overlap? However if you on the other extreme exploit the flanks in this system would better suit counterattacking? Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong.

The problem is that nothing works in isolation when it comes to tactics and creation of them. You are talking about certain instructions, but they do not constitute a tactic as a whole. So it's impossible to give a proper and definite answer to your question(s). 

Just now, Corperate said:

I am not looking to be confrontational but.... are you sure about the wingerless underlap explanation?

Yes. 

1 minute ago, Corperate said:

My understanding and I have observed matches is that the player in the wide position be it the wingback or an advanced forward looks inside for a run from an onrushing midfielder?

Even if that happens, it is not a consequence of an overlap or underlap team instruction. Btw, advanced forward (or any striker) is in a central position, not wide. 

When it comes specifically to an overlap/underlap instruction, they do exactly what the in-game description says - the wide forward/wide midfielder holds the ball up briefly to allow his FB or WB to make that overlapping or underlapping run before (potentially) passing the ball to him.