New position training and current ability

How does training a player in a new position affect his current ability if he's already maxed his potential ability?

I remember in fm17 i was able to train a player up to "competent" in a new position without any attribute drops. Is this still working the same in fm20? Because i just trained a player to "makeshift" and his attributes dropped. Maybe it's just a coincidence but i want to make sure. Can you still train players in a new position up to "competent" or do his attributes drop everytime he progresses in that position?

• SI Staff

It's not about "draining CA", it's about attribute weightings.

Each position affects the weighting of attributes differently. The more appropriate an attribute is for a position, the more an attribute weighs, the more CA it accounts for. If you retrain a DC with 18 Finishing to ST, that Finishing becomes more relevant and thus accounts for more of the CA.

There is a maximum level a player can reach in a position, based on a number of factors such as age, Versatility, attribute suitability, etc. Note that playing time in the position is also required to reach the higher levels, including Natural.

A player already at their PA that reaches a high level in an unfamiliar position may see their attribute weightings require a not insignificant shift. To allow for this, either an old position degrades or other attributes are dropped slightly.

The more suited a player is to a new position, the less likely you are to see any shifts, as their attributes and existing positions will be well-matched and thus already similarly weighted.

All else being equal, a player that is more positional versatile is more valuable, thus will usually have a higher CA than an otherwise identical player.