Why this is so random?! So hard?! Advice needed

8 minutes ago, Justified said:

When you say near empty, what does it actually look like?

Only with play out of defence, counter press and higher defensive line. Now I played 6 or 7 games against Atalanta at home. Never won it. Once selected narrow with attack through midfield, second time narrow without specific attack way, third time wide via flanks, etc. etc. 

had zero wins. 

Once again, I truly believe that I am doing wrong. I know I look like a troll because I have logic that ideal combinations brings you wins. But really  - the game is too hard. It just cant be that I am doing it wrong seven times at row.

5 hours ago, flauta kicma said:

valen.png

A couple of questions:

1. What style of football do you want to play with this particular team and why?

2. What's the reason you opted for the 442 formation and not some other?

Once you answer these questions, I can give you an example of how you can create a sensible and balanced tactic and explain it.

Why the stopper/cover? You're leaving a huge gap in defence on the left because the CDco is dropping and the WBat is pushing up.

I'm only familiar with Valencia's squad so I don't have great knowledge but I'm pretty sure Soler is not a Winger. I'd actually flip this a little bit.

GKde - FBRat - CDde - CDde - WBLsu - WRsu - CMd - BBMsu - IWat - PFsu - AFat

Reason is I would prefer the Winger not to drive to the byline and just cross from deeper. At the far post he'd either have the AF or IW and a late surge from the BBM. Simples.

Edited by Justified

You cant just judge everything in one match, like you are doing. Yes you can somewhat identify trends and patterns of play and if the tactic seems solid, but it takes time for your team to become familiar and gel to a tactic, especially when you're lurching from one playing style to another. You cant just select a new random bunch of instructions prior to kick off and send them out there and expect things to look brilliant. There are also other factors that effect whether you win/the tactic works, as an example look at the amount of complacent players you have with bad body language, that will have an impact on what happens.

As for your latest tactic, others might argue differently but I have always been very cautious in using the Higher Tempo instruction. Maybe I'm just thinking in terms of realism, but for me you cant run before you walk. When trying to bed in a tactic I'll keep it at a normal (and sometimes with lesser players, maybe even slower) tempo. When the team is familiar and gelling well, and if I deem the players good enough and/or I have improved the level of the squad, I might then consider upping the tempo and playing at a faster pace. Your 4-4-2 with wingers/wingbacks is going to be pretty direct in any case, so arguably doesn't even need additional instructions to up the tempo.

1 hour ago, flauta kicma said:

Only with play out of defence, counter press and higher defensive line. Now I played 6 or 7 games against Atalanta at home. Never won it. Once selected narrow with attack through midfield, second time narrow without specific attack way, third time wide via flanks, etc. etc. 

had zero wins. 

Once again, I truly believe that I am doing wrong. I know I look like a troll because I have logic that ideal combinations brings you wins. But really  - the game is too hard. It just cant be that I am doing it wrong seven times at row.

i dont get why ppl thinks that playing against the same team again and again with different tactics will yield different results. it will yield different results only if the AI dun make different adjustments in different games or the tactic u chose somehow is able to counter what the AI has done. imagine this what u are doing right now is what the AI is doing at the same time when u save and reload. now u see why changing and chopping tactics dun work every time. post your tactics here then ppl can see what is going to give u the best chance to win by offering u a balanced tactic that is going to work most of the time with very little tweaking.

On 01/05/2020 at 14:16, mp_87 said:

Slowwwwwww down. In fact I'd suggest just shutting down FM for the moment, doing a bit of reading of various guides to get some idea and knowledge, and getting a pen and piece of paper and jotting down ONE idea about what you want to do (your 4-4-2 ideal?) and what roles/instructions can achieve that.

This.

We've all been there and the way I got better at FM was by watching and reading guides by experinced players.

I'd recommend Bustthenet on YouTube and the Lines and Diamonds guide on this forum. I found both very helpful 

4 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

i dont get why ppl thinks that playing against the same team again and again with different tactics will yield different results. it will yield different results only if the AI dun make different adjustments in different games or the tactic u chose somehow is able to counter what the AI has done. imagine this what u are doing right now is what the AI is doing at the same time when u save and reload. now u see why changing and chopping tactics dun work every time. post your tactics here then ppl can see what is going to give u the best chance to win by offering u a balanced tactic that is going to work most of the time with very little tweaking.

To be fair he does keep coming back but each time there is another 10 different team instructions added 🤷‍♂️

@Justified

While I am writing this post there is game going oin with this set up of yours with few team instructions. 

(2:2, edit)

@Experienced Defender 

442 beacuse I believe I have players made for this tactis... maybe it could be wide 433... Want to play fast, short passing game, with through ball to my AFA.

Everyone else - thans for feedback, for advices I truly believe that this is not only some particular help that I win few games, that this is more for everyones eho want to understand paradigm of the game

1 hour ago, flauta kicma said:

442 beacuse I believe I have players made for this tactis... maybe it could be wide 433... Want to play fast, short passing game, with through ball to my AFA

Fluid counter-attack maybe? Not the preset tactic, but that style of play. 

More like.. Milan 2004?  Germany 2010? So...  shorter passing and possesion but in the same time not boring tiki taka style :).

I can see than in some way you guys believe that the point is on player roles, that is much more important thant general team instructions?

Ok. I started from begining with Valencia. Struggled in friendly matches, and after tweaking and tweaking have three nice victories. You think this set up is ok? 

How to maintain it, make it better?

valen 1.png

valen2.png

Edited by flauta kicma

2 hours ago, flauta kicma said:

valen 1.png

2 hours ago, flauta kicma said:

Struggled in friendly matches, and after tweaking and tweaking have three nice victories. You think this set up is ok? 

How to maintain it, make it better?

I personally would definitely make some changes to your setup. But since you say you've manage to get 3 "nice victories" (in a row, I guess?), I'd rather refrain from any changes at the moment. Because if a tactic works, you better do not make changes (until it stops working) :brock:

I mean when I am defending against Barcelona away... Ofc I am going do defend mentallity but than again must change player roles...

Yeah, now is better, but it is only begging. Now need to figure how to conquer everythind :))

Ok, I am glad because of this progress, it seems your advices were very good to me.

But... is this really that much better than before versions.... rethoric question. B ut I have real questions, not because I want to win but because I want to know better the logic of the game.

- premise is that now AI will catch me. How do you guys are hanging with that, with what tweaks?

- related to this, what would be next step to be even better?

- How to close games, go into defense mode? I am doing it by going on defense mentality,  more narrow width, standard defensive line, and I am not doing anything with player roles...

Thanks in advance. Now I am going to try to make similiar tactic but with 433 wide...

11.png

22.png

16 hours ago, flauta kicma said:

I mean when I am defending against Barcelona away... Ofc I am going do defend mentallity but than again must change player roles

A big mistake. Changing the mentality to defensive does not make you defensively solid. If you have a successful tactic, you should not make any big changes even if you play against such a top team as Barca. And a change of the mentality is a big change in and of itself, so be very careful with that.