Gaining Chinese as 2nd Nationality

Hi everyone,

Currently managing Hebei China Fortune as part of a journeyman save. Was initially going to be a stepping stone but I've been massively surprised by how much I'm enjoying the league, so may stick around for a while to try and build the league/nation up a bit!

I noticed that Talisca was very close to achieving Chinese nationality so went all in to sign him. Is a very good signing anyway, but even better if I can get him to pick up Chinese as a 2nd nationality. Thus not taking up a valuable foreign player slot and maybe even going on to play for China, following in the footsteps of Elkeson (I'm waiting in the wings for the China manager to be sacked so I can take over!)

He's now all signed up and has completed the 1825 days needed to become eligible but nothing seems to be happening in terms of him taking on the nationality. "Days to eligibilty" just sits on zero with nothing else happening. From memory it normally comes up saying "awaiting paperwork" or something like that and then eventually the player becomes eligible. He's never played for Brazil and hasn't declared for them.

I was hoping to do the same thing with a few other foreign players who are close to the required number of days but don't want to waste my time if not possible.

A few questions on this... Is there something I need to do to get the process started? Is it even possible for a player to become Chinese, maybe Elkeson was just a one off? Am I just being inpatient? (it's only been a couple of weeks since the number of days was achieved)  And finally, has anyone else had any luck with getting a player to gain China as a 2nd nationality and maybe even playing for them?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, especially if you've had a similar experience!

Cheers!

It depends if the player wants to take up a second nationality. Not all of them do and just want to have their birth nationality. Players also often take it for league registration rules rather than to play for the country, especially if they feel they have a better chance with their birth nation (or they just really want to play for their birth nation).

Also, some nations don't allow dual nationality (Turkey being the only one I know about for definite). 

37 minutes ago, Chris11Rhodes said:

A few questions on this... Is there something I need to do to get the process started? Is it even possible for a player to become Chinese, maybe Elkeson was just a one off?

China in FM does not allow dual-nationality.

editor_2020-05-07_14-15-24.thumb.png.fee87d640858e8dd96ff6c74e57d1069.png

It's the case of many Asian countries IRL and in FM as a result (Indonesia doesn't allow dual-nationality either), but some are more or less strict on applying the law. For example, a Japanese with dual-citizenship is supposed to forfeit one of their citizenship. In reality, no Japanese with dual-citizenship is going to rush to their embassy to have their second passport destroyed; so unless you're a celebrity, Japan has a law preventing dual-citizenship that they do not have the means to actually enforce. In FM, Japan "just" requires 100 years to gain citizenship. Easy peasy. :lol:

editor_2020-05-07_14-19-58.thumb.png.05da5741db8bae9c5d803e328ff8f0c7.png

Edited by BMNJohn

Thanks very much for the replies guys!

That's a shame but I suspected that may be the case! Elkeson must have been a one off.

It does however make the inclusion of a countdown to eligibility a bit odd and completely pointless if it is impossible to do so 🤔

32 minutes ago, Chris11Rhodes said:

Thanks very much for the replies guys!

That's a shame but I suspected that may be the case! Elkeson must have been a one off.

It does however make the inclusion of a countdown to eligibility a bit odd and completely pointless if it is impossible to do so 🤔

Well, technically, it's not impossible, since you can gain Chinese nationality, but (if I read it correctly) the player then has to forfeit his previous nationality (as China doesn't allow dual). Probably what keeps them from gaining Chinese.

1 minute ago, Maaka said:

Well, technically, it's not impossible, since you can gain Chinese nationality, but (if I read it correctly) the player then has to forfeit his previous nationality (as China doesn't allow dual). Probably what keeps them from gaining Chinese.

Exactly so - the player will only take on Chinese nationality if they're okay with losing their original nationality.

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/sports/elkeson-first-non-chinese-soccer-player-to-be-called-up-for-national-team/50000266-4047627

"The player, who swapped his native Brazilian citizenship for that of China, which does not allow dual nationality, has helped his club Guangzhou Evergrande to win two Asian Champions League championships."

6 minutes ago, Snedhead said:

If you are the national manager does it give you the option of asking players in this situation to swap nationality?

I've just done a quick experiment with this and I can't find any way of asking the player to consider swapping nationality.

3 hours ago, Snedhead said:

If you are the national manager does it give you the option of asking players in this situation to swap nationality?

3 hours ago, Chris11Rhodes said:

I've just done a quick experiment with this and I can't find any way of asking the player to consider swapping nationality.

You can ask them about representing your country but only after they have obtained the nationality.

• 1 year later...