Analysis & Player/Team Training

kevgaleuk

I was watching a game just now and one of my players finally did something I have been trying to get them to do for ages... my winger ran at his marker and instead of keep driving towards goal he went outside to the byline and crossed... yep crossed for my striker to score. My immediate reaction was finally.... I wish I could show him that clip and for him to understand that's EXACTLY what I want him to do as often as he can....

So I wondered. We have analysts; most bits of football can be broken into types of activity i.e. marking, tackling, shooting, crossing, taking on an opponent and so on and I imagine that the code behind the game is such that it could record types of play. I also remember being able to watch a highlights real for a prospective player once so why could we not combine the two

Something like:

• After a game I ask my chief data analyst to compile a video package of the team or a player or multiple players (ticking boxes to identify I want that player compiled for) and select the types of elements to record i.e. compile a package of all the completed passes or all the failed passes; compile a report of every time player x dribbled with the ball or took his player on or his final decision (cross, pass, shot etc). Naturally depending on how good your analyst is the better or more comprehensive the package will be

• When the clips come through let me mark them as good or bad (separate clip packs) or irrelevant (get rid) and then a mechanic to classify them i.e. this is what I want, this is what I don't want and - in the case of negatives - what I would like i.e cross don't shoot, take your man on vs pass simple etc.

• Then let me schedule a match review (team as part of training) or an individual review with a player and a coach to go over the good or bad bits with the output being the player will spend time focusing on implementing what I want. So if I show him that I want him to take his man on and get a cross, pull the ball back to the penalty spot from the byline, get tight to the player or get in front of the player before the ball gets to him etc and that's what he will do (possibly individual training) going forwards

Naturally it will take them some time to master or do well (and they may never) but hopefully it would lead to more coached behaviours coming through

• 1 month later...