How to get full backs to closely mark their winger?

I'm noticing a lot that my full backs are defending narrowly in the penalty box, leaving the opposition wingers exposed (on both sides). When the ball eventually comes to the winger, they're quite slow in getting out to close them down

I've tried tight marking and specific position marking without success

I play a flat 4 defence, my defensive style is extremely urgent closing down and standard width

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm really trying to avoid that as I rely on a very high LOE with extreme pressing. I also rely on my wingers for creativity & goals, I feel like I'd lose my main playing identity by putting them on support. It's a good idea though and one which I think would work, was hoping to get the full backs to do their job first!!

21 hours ago, jammy8892 said:

I'm noticing a lot that my full backs are defending narrowly in the penalty box, leaving the opposition wingers exposed (on both sides). When the ball eventually comes to the winger, they're quite slow in getting out to close them down

I've tried tight marking and specific position marking without success

I play a flat 4 defence, my defensive style is extremely urgent closing down and standard width

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Honestly the best way is to play them as WBR/L. But even in those positions they defend too deep and narrow at times but I've found it's marginally better.

Nothing worse than a successful high press that forces a long ball only for the opposition wingers to be stood on the halfway line able to receive it under no pressure at all because full backs have dropped alongside the CBs.