Gian Piero Gasperini at Atalanta Case Study

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TheMartello said:

What are you waiting for? :p

Am afraid am swamped down with work in Angola. I’ve got a South America save on the go but not enough time for a big replication like this. 

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Am afraid am swamped down with work in Angola. I’ve got a South America save on the go but not enough time for a big replication like this. 

Like in actual Angola? If so hello from south of the border.

10 hours ago, Dr Naysay said:

Like in actual Angola? If so hello from south of the border.

Yeah, I’m working in Lobito on an oil and gas project……. Hello to you 

Posted (edited)

I'm also keenly waiting for your update. Or anyone else for that matter. I'm still playing on FM23 though :onmehead:

I've actually been trying to emulate Alonso's Leverkusen side but when they lost to Atalanta I immediately took an interest in their tactic and noticed they also played 3421 vs Alonso's 3421 at the Europa finals. I wanted to learn what's the difference between them. 

So far my only certain findings are:

- Gasperini employs tight marking. In FM terms, I add "mark tighter" for in every single PI except for the ST and GK. 

- Gasperini likes to focus play on the wings with 2 4-man diamonds on each flank. In FM terms, I use "focus play down left/right".

Most of the analysis I find online write about Gasperini using 3412 (2 STs asked to play wider and form the top of the left/right flank diamonds) but have yet to come across a 3421. I'm guessing the AMs are used as the top of the left/right flank diamonds in this formation instead?

Please correct my observations above/enlighten me with further tactical wisdom. 

@Rashidi I've been trawling the interwebs to try and find your replication but the closest I could find in that shape was your Helios 5212 that you wrote in your book of tactics and also on a youtube vid you posted. If you have posted about it before, could you please point me to it? Thank you in advance :) 

Edited by gordo179

2 hours ago, gordo179 said:

Gasperini likes to focus play on the wings with 2 4-man diamonds on each flank. In FM terms, I use "focus play down left/right".

The diamonds were pretty hard to create back when I done this. But now with the wide centre back roles I think it’s perfectly capable, and the positional play will allow them to overlap as well which they done at this point.

2 hours ago, gordo179 said:

Most of the analysis I find online write about Gasperini using 3412 (2 STs asked to play wider and form the top of the left/right flank diamonds)

He used to play with two strikers, I haven’t followed him closely but assuming he’s adapted the shape for hybrid attacking wide men and a lone striker.

He lost his gem in Gomez who was the perfect number ten back then for his system this maybe forced his hand into a slight change of shape. 

I wish I had the time to do another huge tactical write up like this. I done this during covid when my work had me in quarantine in a hotel in Norway for three weeks which allowed the time to go into great depths. 

I’ve followed Gasperini since his days at Genoa and have watched his system evolve. In those days (and during his short stint at Inter) he used a 3-4-3 with wingers. There are some full matches posted on Youtube if you want to see how those teams played. Even then his teams played a very strict man-marking system, and it was very difficult for me to figure out their shape. I was never able to put it into practice on FM, but hopefully those with 24 can make it work. I’m stuck with 21 because of my ancient computer. 

To understand Gasperini, one must resolve that he doesn’t view defensive structure conventionally, nor does he worry about the ball. To him, the key is for each player to eliminate the threat of a specific player. In doing so, Gasperini’s teams will change shapes repeatedly not only between matches, but within them. While at Genoa he even went into a lopsided 4-4-2 a couple of times and if you watch the Marseille match, they spent much of the 2nd half in a 4-3-1-2. Atalanta’s attacks begin with defense and Gasperini’s teams have become steadily more direct and counterattacking over the years. 

Aside from Scamacca the front 3 is largely interchangeable. Their positioning, such that it is, is based upon marking assignments. Only a great coach can put these ideas into practice and not have a jumbled mess. 

I suspect that to make this work in FM you’ll need to be spending a LOT of time setting individual player and opposition instructions. You can bin most of the team instructions because they change constantly. For example, there are times when Atalanta play out of defense and there are times when he has the keeper kick long. He never wants to give the ball away cheaply. Mentality of would positive mostly, but sometimes balanced. 

One final point that has gone unnoticed is that Atalanta is a very big, physically dominant team. To me they look like a squad that Tony Pulis would love. While they’re not slow, other than Lookman they don’t have any really fast guys either and he’s really more quick than fast. 

Here are some links that I think will help. Hopefully it’s OK to post them. 

https://breakingthelines.com/historical/the-making-of-gian-piero-gasperini-the-genoa-years/

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-gian-piero-gasperinis-atalanta/

https://betweentheposts.net/atalanta-bergamo-bayer-leverkusen-the-goddess-engulfs-xabis-immortals-to-european-glory-3-0/

17 hours ago, SixPointer said:

He lost his gem in Gomez who was the perfect number ten back then for his system this maybe forced his hand into a slight change of shape. 

Gomez's small stature made it difficult for him to press larger forwards in the way that Gasperini desires and as the little fella's pace diminished he was allowed to leave. Great player in his day though. 

1 hour ago, Oakland Stomper said:

Gomez's small stature made it difficult for him to press larger forwards in the way that Gasperini desires and as the little fella's pace diminished he was allowed to leave. Great player in his day though. 

At the time I done the study. He was a little magician!

I love how insightful you are about GPG, I think the man marking is very difficult in FM but I it’s more possible now than ever. To create fluid build ups that change is a different story you basically need to leave a blank canvas and allow players to make the right decision.

If I start to get bored in Chile with my back four systems I may switch it up and give it ago

Posted (edited)
Em 25/05/2024 em 19:39, SixPointer disse:

After his latest triumph and the new positional plays this system could get re invented and be lethal! 

Are you giving it a try?

I feel like the profile of the attacking players of current Atalanta is very different compared to Papu, Ilicic and Zapata.

Edited by josel15

7 hours ago, josel15 said:

Are you giving it a try?

I feel like the profile of the attacking players of current Atalanta is very different compared to Papu, Ilicic and Zapata.

I’m currently doing a save on South America around the Andes. But I’m working in Angola on project that requires so much of my attention so I don’t have enough free time to do a huge post like this.

But I may change my system in my current save try get a GPG system going. If I do I’ll share some details in here.  

On 25/05/2024 at 21:39, SixPointer said:

After his latest triumph and the new positional plays this system could get re invented and be lethal! 

I have played a lot with same technology what i've had for years, with some tweaks here and there. Still really good.

5 hours ago, Valtte said:

I have played a lot with same technology what i've had for years, with some tweaks here and there. Still really good.

I think a might save another recreation until FM25