New Signing Wants To Be Star Player

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've got to contract talks with a new signing, but he wants to be a "star player" when he's really not at that level (3* CA with 4* PA).  Does it really matter? Should I just go ahead anyway? He'll be player every other game (I rotate). It could be because I'm one of few club trying to sign him?

From my last save I'm worried about the knock-on effects across the team asking for better contracts etc etc.

Any advice on the subject would be amazing

6 minutes ago, scwiffy said:

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've got to contract talks with a new signing, but he wants to be a "star player" when he's really not at that level (3* CA with 4* PA).  Does it really matter? Should I just go ahead anyway? He'll be player every other game (I rotate). It could be because I'm one of few club trying to sign him?

From my last save I'm worried about the knock-on effects across the team asking for better contracts etc etc.

Any advice on the subject would be amazing

If its not start player quality, and you're not going to treat him like one (pretty much playing him all the time) don't do it. It does matter, especially if you like to rotate your squad, you need to stay on top of telling him when he's being rested.

Put it this way, im playing as Man United and there are only two players in my entire side who have star player status

12 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If its not start player quality, and you're not going to treat him like one (pretty much playing him all the time) don't do it. It does matter, especially if you like to rotate your squad, you need to stay on top of telling him when he's being rested.

Put it this way, im playing as Man United and there are only two players in my entire side who have star player status

It’s really frustrating as he’s the perfect player for my squad - this is the only stumbling block.

So it’s less about wages and effect on the rest of my squad? More about him kicking up a fuss if he’s not playing every week?

Sign him as a star player. The second he arrives, change his status to whatever you want. They never complain about this provided you change it immediately on arrival. It's a bit buggy and exploitative, but I've used it to combat what I feel is an unrealistic scenario in the first place, with players far down the pecking order wanting star player status.

To my knowledge this has worked every single time. Maybe their morale changes slightly, but they've never been vocal about it.

7 hours ago, scwiffy said:

It’s really frustrating as he’s the perfect player for my squad - this is the only stumbling block.

So it’s less about wages and effect on the rest of my squad? More about him kicking up a fuss if he’s not playing every week?

Wages, that's dependent on your club, but they will kick up a bit of a fuss if they don't feel they are playing as much as they like. So I would sign them knowing you're going to play them a lot. Otherwise it's something you'll need to handle. 

8 horas atrás, scwiffy disse:

But do you choose a totaly different starting XI every game? I also rotate but not that much. Maybe 3 or 4 different players each game, no more. So any given player can easily play, let's say, 3 games in a row and rest on the 4th. Or I choose to rest them in a Cup game, or in the league game immediately before an important Champions League match (or I play him the game before the CL match and rest him on the one right after, you get the idea). I don't even remember to repeat a starting XI, yet, my important players get enough minutes to not complain.

Edited by 99

3 hours ago, 99 said:

But do you choose a totaly different starting XI every game? I also rotate but not that much. Maybe 3 or 4 different players each game, no more. So any given player can easily play, let's say, 3 games in a row and rest on the 4th. Or I choose to rest them in a Cup game, or in the league game immediately before an important Champions League match (or I play him the game before the CL match and rest him on the one right after, you get the idea). I don't even remember to repeat a starting XI, yet, my important players get enough minutes to not complain.

I usually swap 7-6 players, it’s more about my high intensity tactic, meaning after 3-4 days they are only at 90% fitness, so I keep my best performers from the previous match and sub them out

11 hours ago, Norfair said:

Sign him as a star player. The second he arrives, change his status to whatever you want. They never complain about this provided you change it immediately on arrival. It's a bit buggy and exploitative, but I've used it to combat what I feel is an unrealistic scenario in the first place, with players far down the pecking order wanting star player status.

To my knowledge this has worked every single time. Maybe their morale changes slightly, but they've never been vocal about it.

Amazing! Thank you so much for this advice. I agree, it’s a bit buggy in the first place so I definitely won’t feel guilty about it