[FMT] How would you produce more goals from this tactic...

...without compromising it too much? And yes I know it's the million dollar question.

I'm Norwich, on FM Touch, in the first season I made us just solid enough to stay up in 16th, with only 33 goals and 63 conceded, but 40 points achieved.

Second season, we improved up to 11th place, 34 goals, 42 conceded, 49 points.

Nearing the end of the third season now. Obviously I've made tweaks to the tactic along the way. 31 games are played so we're nearing the end of the season, we're in 6th place which is excellent, but we still don't score any goals! We have 31 goals in 31 games, only three teams have scored less than that. We've only conceded 34 which explains the rise up the league, defence seems to be improving even though I haven't really changed that much. I don't want to compromise that defensive soundness we seem to have, but a few more goals would be nice. We're top six but with a negative goal difference, which sounds mad. Even the vast majority of our wins have been 1-0s:

norwichwins.PNG.fcd5c4c6de6b29e5e134b7c1c27d7953.PNG

Norwich433_Apr2022.thumb.PNG.467b33943647fbcab5358e5a52c127af.PNG

I tend to use that for most games (against the big teams I pull the wingers back for a flat four in midfield, and the forward becomes a DLF to link it up a bit better). Malen has scored 10 in 31. In previous seasons it was Pukki, last season he got 9 in 30 so similar. Maybe it's just a personnel issue and I need a better forward?? We often have 12 or 15 shots and only score once.

What little tweaks would you suggest to produce more goals? 

Edited by Orikoru

So obviously you can always try up the mentality but I think the problem is the AFa role is not the best as lone striker

keep your back line as it is I think theres no problems there

PFa

IWs                     Ws

BBM   APA

or

PFa

DLPs   CMa

PFa

IWs                    Ws

APs   CMa

PFa

BBM   APa

all these can work but its all depending on the players you have for the roles but give one of these a try and see how it goes :thup:

I had the striker on DLF to begin with but switched to AF in an attempt to get them score more. Funnily enough it worked to start with because Malen randomly scored a hat-trick against Leeds, but then in the long term he just went back to not scoring. So pressing forward might work better?

48 minutes ago, Nes1995 said:

in my experience PFa works better then a AF as a lone striker yes 

Why do you think that is the case?

i rarely use a PFa, but if I recall correctly, they act pretty much the same as an AF other than the pressing forward being less risky on the ball and tackling harder when off the ball

Assuming Malen has the natural attributes of an advanced forward (pace, dribbling, flair, finishing etc) he would probably score more goals in a riskier approach on the ball.

for example a higher tempo can let you work the ball up quicker and try to isolate your forwards against an unsettled back line. This can make use of an AF’s pace and dribbling, as running at the defence is always more effective if you can get 1v1 against a defender. This can be emphasised using a ball playing defender to try and move the ball over greater distances. I also think a higher tempo works best with low crosses, as a low cross against a settled defence will likely just be cleared by the first man. If you play quickly and get your winger behind the dline on the wing, A low cross will be much harder to defend

passing Into space can also be useful, as he would have the pace to exploit the space.

but at the end of the day, your tactic is working for you so might be best to keep it.

I think my suggestions could help you score goals, but they may also make you lose the ball more and therefore concede even more so only take it as something to think about

Edited by Jack722