Wingers and forwards roles and mentalties

Is there a page that will explain what different roles will do with their mentalities. For instance what will a winger do on a cautious mentality compared to that of an attacking one. Same for attacking midfielders and strikers? 

17 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

Is there a page that will explain what different roles will do with their mentalities. For instance what will a winger do on a cautious mentality compared to that of an attacking one. Same for attacking midfielders and strikers? 

Their instructions do not change, so they will still behave like their role asks.

If you can elaborate on your question or give more info like where you read/saw/heard this, maybe some things can be clarified better.

I’m just interested in what players will do differently with a different mentality. Such as a inverted winger on support duty with the team playing an attacking mentality to the team playing on a balanced mentality. Obviously that changes the players mentalities. I’m probably explaining this terribly so sorry if it doesn’t make sense. 

Edited by yorkie87

As I said, the roles do not change. He will do all the same things on any Mentality.

It sounds like your question is more "What does Mentality do?" to which the short answer is, it alters risk.

I'll give an example just to illustrate. A winger will still dribble often on any mentality, but on a very defensive mentality, will a) start dribbling when it's very safe to do so and b) stop when there's a slight doubt or chance of losing possession. On a very attacking mentality, he'll take more risks in taking on a player to run at him. It's all about risk vs reward.

Another is looking at a FB/A, for instance. He's supposed to be regularly bombing forward. He'll do that on any Mentality. On a very defensive one, it'll be at a more safe time, like maybe when the ball is safely in possession over the half way line. On a very attacking mentality, he will probably dash off as soon as possession is won.

A playmaker will see the same passes on each Mentality. On a very defensive Mentality, he might think "oh, that's a bit too risky. Let's rather pass here where it definitely will be completed." while on a very attacking Mentality he'll attempt the pass because, while risky, if it comes off it'll create a great chance etc. The very defensive mentality playmaker will still attempt risky passes, as per instructions, but won't try to pass into space through very tight gaps etc.

Does that help? Or did I confuse things more? :D

1 minute ago, yorkie87 said:

Sorry to ask another one but what about a striker with a lower mentality? Will he shoot less and make less forward runs?

Mentality affects every single decision. Every single decision will involve more or less risk. Again - It's not about doing something more or less - that's what the instructions are for. It's about the risk.

That's a fantastically concise and practical overview @HUNT3R - really illustrates things well.

As a recent Covid-convert to FM, I've tried to think of the 3 things in a CSS way:

• Mentality is the base paragraph or div style as such
  • Roles are specific 'p' tags containing a bunch of individual elements, helping ensure things are spaced correctly and work well together
  • Player instructions (whether the default ones that come with a role or specific ones you add for a role or player) being those individual elements

I might be straining (maybe wrong all together, lol) a bit there to maintain the metaphor, but it helps me try and keep in mind the micro changes in the larger macro view.

Edited by CaptCanuck