Breaking through very defensive formations

I am just about finished with my second season playing as Universidad de Chile, it is going well and we are close to wrapping up our second league title in a row.

I do have an issue however, almost every team in the league favours extremely cautious formations like this one (or its 4-2-3-1 cousin) and it is turning most matches into a grind, the football becomes awful and we rely on set-pieces and penalties to win:

bastards.png.9f096f7698a7245880ce3c2370d3d52f.png

As you can see they are not giving up any space at all, packing their own half with no less than six defensive or very defensively minded players, while leaving a front trio of attacking players ready to hit on the counter. It's about as well-structured as annoying, "parking the bus"-style defensive football could possibly be and I am at a loss as to how I should respond to it. How do I break a system like this down?

This is how we are currently lining up:

La_U.thumb.png.1c091d8ff2c3b755ff1be5783c15e6dc.png

You’ve got two creative players in your front three, both of whom want to receive the ball to their feet centrally and high up the field - but against a tactic with two DMCs, there’s not really much space for them to receive the ball. 

When they do get the ball, they’re having to rush to try a killer ball right away - positive mentality, attack duties, and much higher tempo all make them want to pass it quicker - and they’re probably missing a lot of those passes because they don’t have options. There’s no width in your attack, with your DWs both being played in fairly cautious roles, and the team being told to play very narrow.

The first changes I’d make would be:

- Switch the DW(S) on each side to a WB(A) or WB(S)

-Remove ‘Much Higher Tempo’

-Remove ‘Very Narrow’

That should really help your creative players out, stretching the opposition defence to make it easier for your players to receive the ball, and giving them options out wide to pass to.

I’d also consider changing up your front three, two creators seems excessive when you’re playing teams that don’t leave gaps for killer balls. It might also be worth switching to a front two, and putting a playmaker lower down the field.

Edited by Sophos

1 hour ago, skyline72 said:

I see 2 major issue. 

Extremely high tempo and distribute over opposition defence. 

You are going to bang into their wall every single time. 

I disagree. The only time they give me any space is during transitions, the quick long-kick is the best means I have to exploit that.

Whenever I face an extremely defensive team I find the best way is to play wider. By playing narrow you're just playing into their hands. They can stay compact and keep you out. By playing wider this, in turn, will open them up a bit and give you a bit more room to operate in and you should find more spaces to exploit. 

38 minutes ago, TheGoodRebel said:

Whenever I face an extremely defensive team I find the best way is to play wider. By playing narrow you're just playing into their hands. They can stay compact and keep you out. By playing wider this, in turn, will open them up a bit and give you a bit more room to operate in and you should find more spaces to exploit. 

That's what I also do. Wider, lower tempo and more expressive. This way you'll drag them out of position. Sometimes I add in shoot on sight.

7 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

I am just about finished with my second season playing as Universidad de Chile, it is going well and we are close to wrapping up our second league title in a row.

I do have an issue however, almost every team in the league favours extremely cautious formations like this one (or its 4-2-3-1 cousin) and it is turning most matches into a grind, the football becomes awful and we rely on set-pieces and penalties to win:

bastards.png.9f096f7698a7245880ce3c2370d3d52f.png

As you can see they are not giving up any space at all, packing their own half with no less than six defensive or very defensively minded players, while leaving a front trio of attacking players ready to hit on the counter. It's about as well-structured as annoying, "parking the bus"-style defensive football could possibly be and I am at a loss as to how I should respond to it. How do I break a system like this down?

This is how we are currently lining up:

La_U.thumb.png.1c091d8ff2c3b755ff1be5783c15e6dc.png

I have to admit, i dont know your players. But my suggestion would be:

Play three up front. Play the left and right forwards both as false 9s on support, with your other striker being an attack duty striker to occupy their defenders.

Id then use WINGERS on attack as opposed to defensive wingers, to stay as wide as possible and run at the opposition.

When you use this combination, it gives a LOT of room to the two false 9s to hit shots on goal. Because someone will also have to move out to stop the wingers.

The false 9s can also create space for your forward if closed down, just to slide a through ball to him.

With your two central midfielders, have them sit back a little more than run forward. Ive used a combination of two central mids, both set to CM (s) in a very similar formation and its worked brilliantly.