Help with my 4231

Hi there, so after doing a lot of reading on here i'm trying to get more consistent performances from Sancho and Felix. Made a few tweaks recently with not much joy so thought it was time I posted my tactic for some help if possible please. Looking to play attacking football and control possession but not pass for passing sake. Thank you in advance. 

20200531141356_1.jpg

1 hour ago, yorkie87 said:

20200531141356_1.jpg

The setup of roles and duties look good, but what could be problematic is player selection relative to some roles. For example, I think Haaland would make more sense in a simple attacking role (such as PF on attack) then a creator role. 

In terms of instructions, I would drop the tempo to standard but add the Be more expressive (possibly coupled with the Work ball into box). I would also remove the Counter TI in transition to avoid needless and premature losses of possession, given that you probably face defensive opposition most of the time, so the space needed for effective counter-attacks is usually not there.

On the other hand, the screenshot shows that you are already topping the table, so you better think twice before making any changes to a tactic that obviously works. 

I have split block for front 4 players and roam from position and take more risks for AM. Is this something you’d recommend? I’ve tried Haaland a few times in pressing forward attack and just hasn’t played that well in them games. Any reason why? 

Edited by yorkie87

2 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

I have split block for front 4 players and roam from position and take more risks for AM. Is this something you’d recommend?

Generally yes in this type of system, although that ultimately depends on how capable your players are of executing it. 

2 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

I’ve tried Haaland a few times in pressing forward attack and just hasn’t played that well in them games. Any reason why?

I cannot know that. It may not be necessarily associated with him personally or his particular role. Roles, duties and instructions are integral parts of a tactic as a whole and they are all interdependent, meaning that anything that is wrong can affect anything else. 

Tried Haaland in 6 games as a PF-A now and no goals in any of them games. Have reduced tempo and turned on be more expressive. What is your opinion of a CF-A in this tactic? I would remove the roam from position for my AM so they weren’t both roaming. 

19 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

Tried Haaland in 6 games as a PF-A now and no goals in any of them games. Have reduced tempo and turned on be more expressive

Can you post the whole tactic? Because 1 or 2 tweaks alone do not give me the big picture. 

20 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

What is your opinion of a CF-A in this tactic?

I tend to avoid CF as a role in top-heavy systems such as 4231 or 424 (especially the former) even if the player himself is good enough for the role (not sure that Haaland is btw). Because CF works better when he has as much space as possible (e.g. 442. 4132, 4411 or flat 4141). 

Just now, yorkie87 said:

20200601174354_1.jpg

What's the reasoning behind changing the RB into a WB on defend duty? i don't say it's necessarily wrong, but given that you struggle to break down defensive opposition, such decision looks a bit illogical. 

Btw, I see that you are 1st in the EPL despite your complaints about tactical issue, so what's the problem actually? 

Another question - in direct relation to the 4231 as a formation - what are your CMs like as players in terms of defensive reliability (tackling, positioning, work rate, teamwork, bravery, speed, anticipation...)?

My first issue was to get more out of AML (sancho) and AMC (felix) as they were pretty inconsistent  

Regarding the right back I just thought he would hold his position behind the winger and provide more crosses from deep? 

CMs are usually Tonali in DLP and milinkovic-Savic as BBM (he hasn’t got the greatest stats for the attributes you mention) but I do have a regen with very good stats for them. 

29 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

Regarding the right back I just thought he would hold his position behind the winger and provide more crosses from deep?

Okay, but the problem is that you are a team with a high reputation mostly facing defensive opposition that you need to break down. And in such situations, attacking support from the fullbacks on both flanks can be of great importance. Now, if you insist on a 4231, that's inherently more difficult to achieve without compromising defensive stability than in more balanced formations. That's why the players playing in CM positions matter so much in the 4231. 

37 minutes ago, yorkie87 said:

CMs are usually Tonali in DLP and milinkovic-Savic as BBM (he hasn’t got the greatest stats for the attributes you mention) but I do have a regen with very good stats for them

Yeah, Milinkovic-Savic can definitely be a liability in a 4231 (although is a great player overall). Tonali on the other hand has poor off the ball (as far as I remember), which can be a problem for a playmaker, but otherwise fits the role nicely. 

Tonali should be an absolute beast for you as a DLP, especially by 2028. (I base this on how dominant he was for me pulling the strings with Atalanta in only 20-21)

I've been fairly underwhelmed with 4231 and #10s in FM20. The only exception was with a T-A in behind a F9, with RMD-A and W-A on the wings. My "first choice" setup ended up with both CMs as DLPs. First time I've tried to DLPs and was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked, but admittedly, that may have just been a result of overwhelming talent, so may look to try it again sometime. Although, I admittedly have a strong preference for 433 to 4231. 

I've had a lot of success with IWs, as AMR/AML and LM/RM, support/attack. Sancho should be a great fit there, so I suspect his inconsistency is because he simply doesn't have enough room to operate for optimal effectiveness. I'd set Chillwell as a WB-A and look for the overlap on that side. Might try playing wider if you're still not getting the production you want out of him. In my experience IWs are more effective with a more advanced striker up top (or on their side, if you're playing two). 

Edited by XuluBak

3 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

Will this have a part to play with the inconsistency of the AML or AM?

Which "this"?

Anyway, inconsistency of a player is not necessarily tactic-related. I personally never care about any individual player's performance as long as I am pleased with how my team play as a whole. Also, when you say "inconsistency", do you refer to their official match ratings or what you actually see during the matches?

10 hours ago, yorkie87 said:

I agree that I prefer someone staying central and being a Goalscorer. Not sure why it’s not working. Change the shorter passing to standard maybe?

Have you tried using AF instead.

Hope this helps. :)