International Management Features

Feliks

Having done a fair few international saves over the last few editions, I think the international management could use some additional features to make it more detailed and realistic.

My suggestions would be:

• have 'links' develop between players like they do in club football; many of the great international sides were successful due to playing together for an extended period of time and by having links form you can slowly build a strong national team over time
  • have squad training when in camps for tournaments; this could be a way to increase tactical familiarity but the main reason I advocate for this being added is due to preliminary squads for tournaments like the World Cup. At the moment, you cannot schedule friendlies before finalising your squad so there is no real reason to pick a preliminary squad of 30 players, by having training you can actually weigh up your selections when narrowing down the squad
  • introduce scouts for national team set-ups; I speak from experience as an Australian that we have benefited from scouting other countries (mainly Scotland) to try and unearth talent that could be eligible for our national team. Adding scouts into international management would allow the player to pick up an unknown prospect playing abroad that may not immediately be on their radar. They would also be the ones to compile all national reports rather than the coaching staff, which is more realistic
  • national team declarations expiring after a certain amount of time: when you're managing a smaller nation, it's somewhat frustrating to see a young talent who has declared for a big nation at the start of the game and therefore will never even consider making the switch across. I feel like it's unrealistic for an 18 year old to categorically rule out representing another country for their entire career, so perhaps adding a time limit to national team declarations of 3 or 5 years would keep things interesting. It's already difficult to persuade players to make the switch if your reputation is too low so I don't feel like it would be a exploited feature
  • ability to auto-compile national reports; self explanatory really
  • more value/interest for players who excel internationally; James Rodriguez is a shining example of someone whose transfer value rocketed after a brilliant World Cup campaign, he wasn't necessarily a better player after the Cup but he definitely commanded a higher fee than if he was average. Performing well at an international tournament should significantly boost a player's value depending on the reputation of the tournament, and should result in more transfer moves
  • international managers can have shortlists; sometimes there are certain players I want to keep track of, it's annoying that we can't have shortlists like club managers
  • players being less likely to turn down international opportunities due to distance
  • dynamic nation youth ratings; an extended run of form by a national team should be able to slowly build the youth rating of the nation, as they would be generating more interest in the sport and attracting more young players. Also, winning the right to host a major international tournament should also have an effect, the biggest example of this is the boom of football in the US after the 1994 World Cup
Edited by Feliks

On 02/06/2020 at 10:54, Feliks said:

• introduce scouts for national team set-ups; I speak from experience as an Australian that we have benefited from scouting other countries (mainly Scotland) to try and unearth talent that could be eligible for our national team. Adding scouts into international management would allow the player to pick up an unknown prospect playing abroad that may not immediately be on their radar. They would also be the ones to compile all national reports rather than the coaching staff, which is more realistic
  •  

Can I back this up? I am currently playing as Australia and the amount of players either refusing to play for Australia due to distance or changing allegiance after signing for a European club and sighting the same reason is ridiculous. I had one player who is currently in the international team decide to make himself unavailable due to distance.

I honestly can't remember the last Australian to turn down the opportunity due to distance. Simunuc maybe?

Agreed. I would also like to see dynamic youth ratings for countries - look at Iceland as a good example. National team level success in football is going to make more young kids play the sport, increase government-level investment etc. in football around the country. If I was managing a country with a very poor youth ranking and qualified for the World Cup 2 tournaments in a row, I would expect to start producing better youth players soon as in theory, more and more interest would be had in football within that country.

13 hours ago, nick1408 said:

Can I back this up? I am currently playing as Australia and the amount of players either refusing to play for Australia due to distance or changing allegiance after signing for a European club and sighting the same reason is ridiculous. I had one player who is currently in the international team decide to make himself unavailable due to distance.

I honestly can't remember the last Australian to turn down the opportunity due to distance. Simunuc maybe?

7 hours ago, IgnorantLobster said:

Agreed. I would also like to see dynamic youth ratings for countries - look at Iceland as a good example. National team level success in football is going to make more young kids play the sport, increase government-level investment etc. in football around the country. If I was managing a country with a very poor youth ranking and qualified for the World Cup 2 tournaments in a row, I would expect to start producing better youth players soon as in theory, more and more interest would be had in football within that country.

Thanks guys, I'll add these to the post! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can I also add that an option to tell players they aren't in the team because I want to qualify dual nationals against poor teams would be nice. I always use "I'll consider you for the next squad" but it isn't the real reason they are out of the side.

• 3 weeks later...