We, if influental enough, should be able to set an overall philosophy for the Youth Academy (and youth coaching in general)

OkMarius

What the title says. I should be able to give my youth coaching team (both the academy and the U19/U23s) more general instructions in terms of what our philosophy should be. How successful the youth academy is would be dependent on many factors like randomness, quality of coaches, quality of players, how familiar the coaches are with the type of philosophy their operating under, etc.

Under this system, one shouldn't be able to go and take over individual youth players' development like the system allows for now. Because 1. that wouldn't be necessary, and 2. that isn't really done either. Managers leave the youth coaching up to the youth coaches until the player joins the first team. In my vision I see a huge list of many categories (Based on training and recruiting, some primary, some secondary), where one should be able to select a few of them in each category. Some bad examples here:

Primary training directive: "Develop teamwork and mental skills" (Focus on educating/mentoring the young players into becoming better versions of themselves, and therefore better footballers).

Primary training directive: "Develop all defensive players technical skills" (Goalkeepers and defenders should be able to play out of defense, being the philosophy)

Secondary training directive: "Every player should learn to use both feet"

Secondary training directive: "Let all players develop themselves in relevant positions" (Fast, tricky players should attempt to master the "Left or Right wing position, Tall and strong players should learn to be central defenders, etc)

Primary recruiting directive: "Use the clubs extensive scouting network to pick up youth players from all over the world" [Set budget]

Primary recruiting directive: "Only recruit youth players from the local area."

Secondary recruiting directive: "Look for tall players"

In most clubs, a philosophy should already be in place. It would be a neat challenge for a Manager to try to convince them over time to change this. Like in real life, in some instances the Manager would be hired to change it around, whereas in other cases it would be nearly impossible for the Manager to do because of the structure and the traditions of the club.

Edited by OkMarius

A really good idea and to expand a bit on your idea. 

Primary Recruting directive :  Look for technical players/ Intelligent players etc which is already in the game but for defined positions. Like CB's physical or Technical CM's intelligent or creative etc. 

Edited by ferrarinseb