What can I improve in my tactic? - Man Utd S2

Hi guys,

I really love playing fm and the hours I put into fm20 reflect that, I want to play with my own created tactics and I've had some success in doing so and gotten a lot of fun out of it. However from time to time this tactic creation also proves to be something which I haven't completely grasped yet, sometimes leaving me clueless in the process. I created this tactic but I'd like to learn from it from you guys as well, just to get some extra insights. Are there any things that stand out as something which could become a problem ? 

My aim is to create fast and beautiful football since I have some really fast players with good flair, vision and passing. Also, most of my players have good workrate and determination so I want to press high. Dribbling is also a high stat throughout my attacking force, while my midfield is creative, good in passing and can also have a crack at goal from long range but I'm not too sure if I want to capitalize on this. I want my Attack to be the main goal scoring threat, hence why I put them on attacking duty, however I wouldn't mind if Fekir joined in creating chances. I want my midfield front 2 to be creating most of the assists, while Florentino Luis should be the lock holding it together and recycling possession. I always have some issues on deciding what to do with my backs and centerbacks, I usually just plan 6/7 friendlies and see which roles get the best grades after a game since everytime I try to think of something that's 'logical' they just get a 6.4 or 6.5. Also, I never really get the overlap shout, how does it combine with wingers that are cutting inside? Wouldn't this hold up play too much? That's what I'm afraid of, holding up play too much and then creating a cul de sac in the opponents defense, I like to keep things moving, fast and fluid, since my players are also fairly determined and intelligent. Is the tactic I put above somewhat a representation of what I'm trying to achieve?

Also, how can I properly analyze my tactic in game? I play the entire pre-season in 2D, extensive highlights in order to determine weak spots and focus points but it just makes me tweak the tactic till it's something completely different from what I set out. Are there any guidelines or processes you have for yourself in creating and analyzing a tactic?  Finally, is there some sort of archive with articles on tactical creation? I already checked a lot of youtube, reddit, this forum and just articles in general, I got the basics but I just want to take the tactical aspect of my game to a bit of a higher level. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-07 om 22.39.06.png

6 minutes ago, BrianBrobbey said:

I want my Attack to be the main goal scoring threat, hence why I put them on attacking duty

Well, that's a typical example of a tactical mistake that many people keep making. You don't need to put all forwards on attack duties in order to make them goal-scoring threats. In fact, you should not do that, because it only makes your tactical setup disjointed and potentially unbalanced, which usually have an adverse effect both on attacking and defending. 

And even if you do put all forwards on attack duties, you need to set up their roles in such a way as to create different patterns of attacking movement and space creation. But then you also need to create that space up front they are supposed to attack, which means that you should be considerably less aggressive in your manner of defending in order to draw the opposition more into your half, rather than pinning them into their defensive shell. But with instructions such as high line of engagement, extreme pressing, prevent short GKD, tight marking and counter-press, you are actually doing the exact opposite. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, that's a typical example of a tactical mistake that many people keep making. You don't need to put all forwards on attack duties in order to make them goal-scoring threats. In fact, you should not do that, because it only makes your tactical setup disjointed and potentially unbalanced, which usually have an adverse effect both on attacking and defending. 

Ahh yes, that's what I was afraid of, there's not really a rule of thumb with regards to balancing attacking, supporting and defending duties is there? It's all kinda context related?

And even if you do put all forwards on attack duties, you need to set up their roles in such a way as to create different patterns of attacking movement and space creation. But then you also need to create that space up front they are supposed to attack, 

That's why I put Martial on CF, since he has move into channels locked in, figure he'd create the chances for Rashford and Fekir in doing so.

which means that you should be considerably less aggressive in your manner of defending in order to draw the opposition more into your half, rather than pinning them into their defensive shell. But with instructions such as high line of engagement, extreme pressing, prevent short GKD, tight marking and counter-press, you are actually doing the exact opposite. 

So then I would either need to defend more reserved, something which I don't have a lot of experience with since I usually just do a type of Gegenpress variation, or attack in a more controlled and patient way in order to not form the cul-de-sac I'm dreading to create?

Edit: I changed Fekir to IWs and Bissaka to to FBa and it went way smoother, don't want to cheer too soon but beat west brom 9-0 on the first game day.

Edited by BrianBrobbey

7 hours ago, BrianBrobbey said:

Hi guys,

I really love playing fm and the hours I put into fm20 reflect that, I want to play with my own created tactics and I've had some success in doing so and gotten a lot of fun out of it. However from time to time this tactic creation also proves to be something which I haven't completely grasped yet, sometimes leaving me clueless in the process. I created this tactic but I'd like to learn from it from you guys as well, just to get some extra insights. Are there any things that stand out as something which could become a problem ? 

My aim is to create fast and beautiful football since I have some really fast players with good flair, vision and passing. Also, most of my players have good workrate and determination so I want to press high. Dribbling is also a high stat throughout my attacking force, while my midfield is creative, good in passing and can also have a crack at goal from long range but I'm not too sure if I want to capitalize on this. I want my Attack to be the main goal scoring threat, hence why I put them on attacking duty, however I wouldn't mind if Fekir joined in creating chances. I want my midfield front 2 to be creating most of the assists, while Florentino Luis should be the lock holding it together and recycling possession. I always have some issues on deciding what to do with my backs and centerbacks, I usually just plan 6/7 friendlies and see which roles get the best grades after a game since everytime I try to think of something that's 'logical' they just get a 6.4 or 6.5. Also, I never really get the overlap shout, how does it combine with wingers that are cutting inside? Wouldn't this hold up play too much? That's what I'm afraid of, holding up play too much and then creating a cul de sac in the opponents defense, I like to keep things moving, fast and fluid, since my players are also fairly determined and intelligent. Is the tactic I put above somewhat a representation of what I'm trying to achieve?

Also, how can I properly analyze my tactic in game? I play the entire pre-season in 2D, extensive highlights in order to determine weak spots and focus points but it just makes me tweak the tactic till it's something completely different from what I set out. Are there any guidelines or processes you have for yourself in creating and analyzing a tactic?  Finally, is there some sort of archive with articles on tactical creation? I already checked a lot of youtube, reddit, this forum and just articles in general, I got the basics but I just want to take the tactical aspect of my game to a bit of a higher level. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-07 om 22.39.06.png

By keeping your above setup intact as much as possible, I suggest trying the following tweaks:

BrianBrobbey.thumb.png.f393379c1cc915c8d34c56ee029e5912.png

• Add player instructions pressing intensity more urgent to STC, AML, AMR

Hope this helps. :)

14 hours ago, BrianBrobbey said:

Ahh yes, that's what I was afraid of, there's not really a rule of thumb with regards to balancing attacking, supporting and defending duties is there? It's all kinda context related?

Balancing different roles and duties within a system pertains not just to their overall number but also - and perhaps even more importantly - their distribution, taking of course into account the style of play you want to achieve. Your formation as well as team mentality are also important factors you need to keep in mind. 

That's why I put Martial on CF, since he has move into channels locked in, figure he'd create the chances for Rashford and Fekir in doing so

I was not referring to that. Although btw I am not sure if CF as a role suits Martial anyway, considering his attributes. He is more of a runner than creator. 

So then I would either need to defend more reserved, something which I don't have a lot of experience with since I usually just do a type of Gegenpress variation, or attack in a more controlled and patient way in order to not form the cul-de-sac I'm dreading to create?

Basically yes. But in either case, you should look to avoid any kind of extremes, both in terms of roles/duties and instructions. Also take into account factors such as your team's reputation, because it affects how (most of the) opponents will play against you, as well as your players' strengths and weaknesses in general. Different types of players suit different styles of football (and vice versa).