Liga MX/ Copa Liberatadore

Been looking into this because i swore i had heard this before, i still play FM17 and apparently up until 2016 Mexican sides were able to qualify for the tournament 

Does anyone know if this is case on FM17 and how exactly do you qualify because i remember it isn't as simple as just winning the league

1 hora atrás, Bilbaoboy disse:

Been looking into this because i swore i had heard this before, i still play FM17 and apparently up until 2016 Mexican sides were able to qualify for the tournament 

Does anyone know if this is case on FM17 and how exactly do you qualify because i remember it isn't as simple as just winning the league

I don't know if this is the case on FM17, but I've checked the 2016 Copa Libertadores page on Wikipedia and it says that Pumas UNAM, Toluca and Puebla qualified that year.

If you win the league, you'll be qualified to CONCACAF Champions League instead. To play in the Copa Libertadores, you need to be the best (or second best) non-qualified to CONCACAF CL club in the Opening Stage of the league. If you win the Mexican Supercup, you'll also qualify to the First Stage (before the groups).

9 minutes ago, bpecanha said:

I don't know if this is the case on FM17, but I've checked the 2016 Copa Libertadores page on Wikipedia and it says that Pumas UNAM, Toluca and Puebla qualified that year.

If you win the league, you'll be qualified to CONCACAF Champions League instead. To play in the Copa Libertadores, you need to be the best (or second best) non-qualified to CONCACAF CL club in the Opening Stage of the league. If you win the Mexican Supercup, you'll also qualify to the First Stage (before the groups).

Thanks i am going to fire one up and just find out, i did read they stopped participating in 17 so i might have just gotten away with it.

So what you are saying is if you win the league every time or come second you won't qualify for Copa , because the Champ League trumps it?  what about if you win Copa Lib would you get to defend it

21 horas atrás, Bilbaoboy disse:

Thanks i am going to fire one up and just find out, i did read they stopped participating in 17 so i might have just gotten away with it.

So what you are saying is if you win the league every time or come second you won't qualify for Copa , because the Champ League trumps it?  what about if you win Copa Lib would you get to defend it

If you win the Libertadores, you'll be able to defend it. But even if you don't, winning the Supercup is a easier way to qualify

Mexico FA belong to CONCACAF, not CONMEBOL, but used to send teams to Copa Libertadores due to Latin American cultural ties I guess. But the CONCACAF competitions are their first priority when it comes to international play. If I remember correctly, CONCACAF changed the format of their Champions League and CONMEBOL changed the scheduling of Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana so the combination of these two factors made Mexican representation in Copa Libertadores impossible a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Vänsterback said:

Mexico FA belong to CONCACAF, not CONMEBOL, but used to send teams to Copa Libertadores due to Latin American cultural ties I guess. But the CONCACAF competitions are their first priority when it comes to international play. If I remember correctly, CONCACAF changed the format of their Champions League and CONMEBOL changed the scheduling of Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana so the combination of these two factors made Mexican representation in Copa Libertadores impossible a few years ago.

I think i read that there were disputes over Tele revenue and there was resentment from some of the smaller countries like Peru because they were missing out at the expense of the Mexican sides, i also read the games were Refereed with a bias towards the South American sides because there was a fear of them potentially winning it and dominating it but this comes from the Mexico side so i would take that with a pinch of salt. but never the less they did as you say make it virtually impossible for them to seriously compete so they have stopped it but i think they are talking about starting it up again

I think they wan't the Mexican sides because the T.V viewing figures in Mexico are the biggest in the world (i may be wrong) and for Mexico it's a chance for a higher level of competition and added prestige but there are a lot of politics going on and the Scheduling was the result of it

Edited by Bilbaoboy

24 minutos atrás, Bilbaoboy disse:

I think i read that there were disputes over Tele revenue and there was resentment from some of the smaller countries like Peru because they were missing out at the expense of the Mexican sides, i also read the games were Refereed with a bias towards the South American sides because there was a fear of them potentially winning it and dominating it but this comes from the Mexico side so i would take that with a pinch of salt. but never the less they did as you say make it virtually impossible for them to seriously compete so they have stopped it but i think they are talking about starting it up again

I think they wan't the Mexican sides because the T.V viewing figures in Mexico are the biggest in the world (i may be wrong) and for Mexico it's a chance for a higher level of competition and added prestige but there are a lot of politics going on and the Scheduling was the result of it

Nothing to do with that, they stopped playing in the Copa Libertadores due to the format change. Until 2016, games were played between January and July; now, the final is only in November.