4231 deep SV

Hi all,

I am currently managing Man Utd and using a SV coupled with an anchor man. What side is optimal for the SV..... The same side as the winger or the same side as the inside forward ( currently using). Left back is weak so was thinking of swapping sides of Anchor Man and SV.

Please let me now your thoughts.

image.thumb.png.0f87a21562a538e47baa20ae87d6a145.png

40 minutes ago, Corperate said:

The same side as the winger or the same side as the inside forward ( currently using)

Generally speaking, i would rather pair a volante with a winger than an IF or IW. But you should never look at roles and duties in isolation from the rest of your tactic. The same of course applies to the instructions. Because they all together should constitute a particular tactical style. 

43 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Left back is weak so was thinking of swapping sides of Anchor Man and SV

In which sense is the left back "weak"? Shaw is a very good player, so I am a bit confused with your statement :idiot:

Yeah true just checked Shaw... fairly solid full back

Am I correct in saying you would put the SV on the same side as the winger? ( I am playing a winger on the right and an inside forward on the left.)  

The overall tactic, I am looking for a swift attacking/ counter attacking system. Any tweeks you would recommend?

12 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Am I correct in saying you would put the SV on the same side as the winger?

Well, I already said exactly that: 

26 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Generally speaking, i would rather pair a volante with a winger than an IF or IW

:)

16 minutes ago, Corperate said:

The overall tactic, I am looking for a swift attacking/ counter attacking system. Any tweeks you would recommend?

There definitely are changes I would make to your tactic. For example. at least one fullback would be a bit more attack-minded (not necessarily on attack duty, just in a more attacking role). Also would definitely not play both wide forwards on attack duty. Would prefer PF on attack duty over AF as a lone striker. And so on...

1 hour ago, Corperate said:

Why not I'm passing into space!

What does passing into space have to do with what I wrote above??? :idiot: 

Are you recommending I play with a wingback???? Defend or Attack???

There is also a wing-back on support, for that matter. But I didn't mention either WB or FB specifically. I was talking about a more attack-minded role than you are using at the moment. 

Greenwood is not a pressing forward!!!

Not sure I understand this. Can you explain?

Why not I'm passing into space! Are you recommending I play with a wingback???? Defend or Attack??? Greenwood is not a pressing forward!!!

Greenwood actually has the making of a great pressing forward. With his workrate and other high mental attributes. What do you think a pressing forward supposed to look like?

You say you want a swift counter system. Do you want something more fluid and running, or something that is a bit more vertical in nature?

Whenever you avoid putting players in central midfield, you need to have a plan on how to bridge that gap between the defensive side of the play and the offensive. A volante can work to bridge that gap, and have the hidden instruction to make surging forward runs, but they are not generally as inclined to ping the ball deep to the attacking side like, say, a DLP. They will rush forwards a bit, playing to their rushing partner, until they can ping it up to the AM or the near wing. With everyone in such advanced positions, this makes that run a fairly long one, and his anchor partner isn't going to help a lot in making that run. The supporting fullback may be able to get up there in time to help, but as volantes aren't specifically trained to dribble, and he's going to be the focus of a lot of pressing, this current tactic will likely stall out in central midfield too often. If you want to keep this shape and these particular roles, and your volante has good passing and vision, it might be worthwhile to instruct him to take more risks, and perhaps pass more direct, so that he can be a quasi-DLP. He'll burst forward with the ball, looking for someone deep up the pitch.

If you want it to be a running game through midfield, consider giving him a running partner to pass to. I often use running plays with two SV's, both trained to play one-two's. I'm also generally inclined to use supporting wingers or wingbacks. It makes the rush up the field fairly smooth and worry free. I find this rushing method works fairly well in opening a bit more space for the attacking side of things. AP's in the AM position will often find themselves not the center of attention, as their midfield looks to stop the rush coming from fairly deep. The resulting chances can be pretty decent. Also, defensively speaking, two SV's on support duty can offer a lot of protection to the defensive line.

If you want a more direct route up the field, consider playing a DLP or Regista as your SV's partner. The Regista is a bit more unpredictable, and will run with his SV partner up the field, launching the ball where it needs to go wherever and whenever he feels like it. The DLP will, of course, just focus on launching balls from deep, and will only slowly drift upward up the field with the play. Working with either playmaker will often allow the SV to show up late to the zone if play gets bogged down, and perhaps knock one in if the opportunity avails itself. A Regista will also sit outside the box and attempt shots on goal, as well as killer through passes. Their positioning also makes it quite nice in terms of finding defensive openings into the box by a lot of horizontal play, which is enhanced by a higher tempo. 

I have also used two SV's with a Regista to enhance this particular behavior further. It makes a nice semi-circle siege around the box that they just love whipping the ball around, looking for space - which they inevitably find, whether it's a direct shot or cross to the man in the box, or a shot in the box itself. The volantes and regista in that formation can rack up 10-15 goals per season apiece easy, as well as large numbers of assists.