Do you immerse in the game world?

Topic. 

I don't care about anyone but my own team. All those news items, match reports, transfer rumours, I just click clickety click and get on with it. 

But I almost feel bad for SI, they've spent so much time creating this little in-game world and I just don't care at all. 

How bout you? Do you dig in to it? Do you read other match reports? Do you keep an eye on results in other leagues? Do you care about the rumours about Everton's manager possibly going to Naples? 

6 hours ago, Footix said:

Topic. 

I don't care about anyone but my own team. All those news items, match reports, transfer rumours, I just click clickety click and get on with it. 

But I almost feel bad for SI, they've spent so much time creating this little in-game world and I just don't care at all. 

How bout you? Do you dig in to it? Do you read other match reports? Do you keep an eye on results in other leagues? Do you care about the rumours about Everton's manager possibly going to Naples? 

Like you, I rarely need or notice info about other teams/players

I try to, depending on the current circumstances. 

Because I'm doing a one club save I have shortlists for former players / former staff so I get alerted on their progress and moves, and retirements as well which are always of note to me. I find it interesting to follow. 

I wouldn't say I dive too much into it but of course as the game ticks over I will scan the headlines that pop up and social media that the games lands on from time to time, it does help the overall 'story' in my head for the game so I find it's appreciated even if I would never get to everything that's there! 

I'll look out for my real life club, Newcastle, who have completely imploded unfortunately and are currently a Championship side alongside us with a stream of different managers and big name players ditching the sinking ship. 

It's never dull even in a fictional world it seems. 

I would say on your topic directly, it's not always that you're using everything available to you but the fact that it's there and you could, if you wanted, go and explore the last ten years of the welsh second division, already adds to the feel of a real world around you and build immersion without you having to actively engage with it. 

It's what makes managing your own team all that more engrossing, knowing it is yours, out of many many others. 

I wouldn't say I immerse myself into other teams and clubs, but I will note the social media side of it as well as how other clubs are doing in other leagues.

The social media side is a good way to pick up players who have won awards like U19 Brazilian player of the year, Monacos top 3 players of the month, etc. I use it like another scouting tool.

I enjoy seeing 'large' clubs slip down the leagues, falling on hard times, etc. Also, I keep an eye on teams who have good youth systems who art doing very well to try and pinch some youth players.

I would love have it.

But the fact is that FM fails to create an environment. And you notice that 'cause once you move forward and real player begin to disappear, you don't perceive the different level of importance/capacity, cause the news you get is about raw facts.
For example there aren't  anymore the feeling of great players era like Messi and Cr7. You don't feel the sense of great newcomers like Haaland or Mbappe. And even legends are something that doesn't exist (it's foolish that a young player could be dubbed the new Pelè or Maradona in game but the news doesn't spread globally - think about Adu or the same young Messi). 
Teams are teams. But great teams are made by great players and FM fails to recreate this. When I face Barcellona (for example) in the game I feel to face Barcellona while I would love to feel I face Barcellona of Messi,Suarez,Griezmann,etc.. (or the newgens). 

( and same with Managers )

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

I'm sure real world managers follow, for example, the World Cup and the Champions League with keen eyes. Looking at big matches, watching players, keeping up to speed. 

If you get a news item about some match from the group stage in the World Cup, do you take a closer look? 

Unless I'm involved myself I just click "continue". Perhaps the game would be even more fun if I took the time to dig into stuff like this? But then again the game already takes enough time as it is! Doing a season takes me two weeks already, balancing work, family and the game. And I'm on FM touch! :lol:

1 hour ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

I would love have it.

But the fact is that FM fails to create an environment. And you notice that 'cause once you move forward and real player begin to disappear, you don't perceive the different level of importance/capacity, cause the news you get is about raw facts.
For example there aren't  anymore the feeling of great players era like Messi and Cr7. You don't feel the sense of great newcomers like Haaland or Mbappe. And even legends are something that doesn't exist (it's foolish that a young player could be dubbed the new Pelè or Maradona in game but the news doesn't spread globally - think about Adu or the same young Messi). 
Teams are teams. But great teams are made by great players and FM fails to recreate this. When I face Barcellona (for example) in the game I feel to face Barcellona while I would love to feel I face Barcellona of Messi,Suarez,Griezmann,etc.. (or the newgens). 

( and same with Managers )

I do agree with you here but the game does make some efforts to change this. There's of course World footballer of the year awards still and the various player of the season, top goalscorer etc. of the tournaments and leagues. On a week by week level for your club, players you're coming up against will be highlighted as threats and small things like this do help. They should definitely be looking at more emergent storytelling in the game through as the players we know and have hear of retire and the game ticks over to the regens. In the end, like many of these types of games, it is a fancy statistic simulator and much of it can be up to you to read into as much as you desire or have the patience to do. 

I keep a player search condition that's basically the world's most expensive players at that time so if I'm curious at any point I can just go see who is the most valuable, where they play, their records and history etc. As a small example, not saying it is amazing in any way but I find it interesting enough. 

I agree more on the managers, while there can be exceptions, and I think especially when they are still characters with photos, real world history etc. it's rare you'll see a long term success story from a lower league to the top come from an AI manager. Some will stay a while and you'll notice and that can be fun, but definitely it's just name A in at Job B because they finished 7th and he'll be gone again in 6 months because they're 8th, it can get numbing really. Would love to see more attention paid to the manager characters in the game, absolutely. 

True. 

But I try to make an other example: Ballon d'Or or World Footballer in game are awards (other story: there is a great work to do to make award work properly) that live at the moment of ceremony to have no more importance the moment after. Say "Haaland" or say "the three times-in-row Ballon d'Or winner Haaland" have a different impact. Say "Pelè" and and the three times World Cup Winner Pelè is totally another story. Or say 'the one who score 2 goals in a World Cup final!" And so on. 
Most of that infos are in the game, but are deep in stats or bio while they could be used to color the news. 

Plus there are a ton of info that could be add in the game to feel it more vivid. something like (use past players example only as example): "Maradona, loved by Napoli fans and considered the best player ever with Pelè" or "Without injuries Ronaldo would become the best player ever, surpassing or at least catch Pelè" or remembered the style of playing or great matches etc..

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

14 hours ago, Footix said:

Topic. 

I am not reading 8/10 new messages on indox, despite having all the settings for low number of new items. I am just click on them to mark as "read". I end up to holiday between matches, because the "stop" processing is too often.

To answer the OP, yes. Playing a journeyman save since release in a network game only. So. Yes. Pretty immersed in all 5 top leagues. 16 seasons in. Who’s managing who, which clubs are about to sack their manager? Very immersive because it’s all relevant playing this way.

I don't, really, up to a point that some years (in-game) later I don't even know who are the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world. Sadly, that feeling usually leds to me loosing interest and starting a new save...

I have to stress out that I don't think SI is to blame for this, but myself. The world created in-game is impressive, it's me that don't follow up the news and the updates of other teams enough to know the new world around me.

I've never done it myself but I remember a guy on here who created his own nation that was so in depth he had people on here asking how certain fictional sides were getting on.  I think if I had spent weeks (probably months) creating a database like that I would be a lot more immersed and keen to see how the other teams were doing as they'd be my own creation

I used to get so immersed with the game world, But the difficulty and tediousness of the news section has ruined it for me.

Getting news items in your email is important, We don’t have the choice anymore. Instead you have to follow all competitions manually and go to the news screen every day, Nothing comes to you as an alert. so in 2 weeks you’ll find out that the national team manager resigned, or Big transfers happened while you were handling other tasks.

Add to that the completely silly social media quirk which adds nothing to the game and is frankly embarrasing.

I used to play managerial games on amiga that had a newspaper that you can open up and read all the headlines on there, Some even had a teletext screen. 

The news module along with the press conferences has been neglected for years now, It needs to be revived to inject some life into the stale game to go along with the different personalities and visions of clubs and countries (including chairmen and pundits).

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I've never done it myself but I remember a guy on here who created his own nation that was so in depth he had people on here asking how certain fictional sides were getting on.  I think if I had spent weeks (probably months) creating a database like that I would be a lot more immersed and keen to see how the other teams were doing as they'd be my own creation

I think I remember that thread. From memory, they used to play the game in real time, and every Christmas their family would sit around the monitor with them to watch the cup final. 

It's pretty awesome that FM could become a Christmas family tradition. 

Edited by DementedHammer

I click through most of it but there are some things I try to keep up with. I always have to check how Sweden fare in the World Cup/Euros. Also if I run into a player I was on the verge of signing as a 16-year old, I check and see how he's done in his career later on. Another thing is players that have given me trouble in the league. Arsenal had a regen named Kunle Ibeagha who just terrorized my defence every time we played them. He was often top scorer in the prem. I kept checking how he did even when he left the prem.

All those awards like World golden ball, player of the year etc seem to be heavily weighted towards PA/CA so it's not really interesting to me. There are too many awards as well. Do all these awards actually exist irl? I assume the world golden ball or w/e it's called in the game is the ballon d'or? But the rest?

9 hours ago, DementedHammer said:

I think I remember that thread. From memory, they used to play the game in real time, and every Christmas their family would sit around the monitor with them to watch the cup final. 

It's pretty awesome that FM could become a Christmas family tradition. 

That's the one!  I know he pops back in every now and then to update people on stuff, just wish i could remember the name of the thread.  It was pretty epic

Tbh especially lately I have difficulty remembering the difference between what's happened IRL or in my FM game :lol:

Especially who such-and-such a player plays for, or whether that guy at Ipswich is actually a player IRL or just a regen. I started keeping an eye out for Leverkusen watching the Bundesliga lately as I signed a young youth prospect from there for my first team, then I realised he's a regen!

I regularly check out the results and league placing of my former team, and also the team I support IRL. I like to see who the manager is, and check out what players they've signed after each transfer window.

I also keep regular tabs on all my former players I've signed, sold or released just to see how they're doing, though admittedly there's an element of seeing if my assessment of them was correct.

What I tend not to do though is look at the progress of World Cups, top European leagues etc. as until lately they haven't been relevant for my LLM game. One of the reasons for this though is just in case I have to reload a save due to a cock up/error as I feel the need to obsessively preserve results I've seen, which can be very annoying!

5 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

That's the one!  I know he pops back in every now and then to update people on stuff, just wish i could remember the name of the thread.  It was pretty epic

Another one I've just remembered was one with two fictional rival teams called the Bandits and the Sheriffs. That was an amazingly epic thread. 

4 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

Another one I've just remembered was one with two fictional rival teams called the Bandits and the Sheriffs. That was an amazingly epic thread. 

That was epic, I remember printing pages and pages of that out to read on my commute.  Funny really looking at it now with how easy it is to get forums up on pretty much any mobile phone

edit - Amazingly I just found it on my network storage, I obviously liked it because I downloaded every page :D

1335462636_Annotation2020-06-22201910.thumb.png.2e36e145de689e3877c66ee74ec330af.png

Edited by Brother Ben

I guess I should also add that I'm actually role playing in my own game this year. In my save's version of reality, West Ham was renamed to London Olympic. A bunch of their loyal fans took umbridge with this and stopped attending games, boosting Leyton Orient and Dagenham Redbridge's attendances. Around 7000 fans then created a phoenix team called Thames Iron Works who started in the Essex Senior League, who Carlton Cole (who I'm role playing as) is currently managing. 

Edited by DementedHammer

On 22/06/2020 at 20:18, DementedHammer said:

I guess I should also add that I'm actually role playing in my own game this year. In my save's version of reality, West Ham was renamed to London Olympic. A bunch of their loyal fans took umbridge with this and stopped attending games, boosting Leyton Orient and Dagenham Redbridge's attendances. Around 7000 fans then created a phoenix team called Thames Iron Works who started in the Essex Senior League, who Carlton Cole (who I'm role playing as) is currently managing. 

Sounds awesome, exactly the kind of awful thing that could actually happen in modern football too.

Edited by Brother Ben