Does a player's role give instructions to other players?

I have come to the understanding that player roles, duties, position, the team formation, the team instructions are nothing more than a bunch of instructions that we are giving the players.

So, when you give a player a role, such as CM you are giving them a set of instructions. When you give them a duty you are giving them some more instructions.

Now the question I have is when you give, say Player A, a set of instructions, such as Advanced Playmaker with the duty attack, how does that effect the other players? Is it instructions for just player A or does it give instructions to the other players? I have read that when you have a role of playmaker or target man you are giving instructions to the other players. Is this right? If it is right, what other roles give instructions to other players.

I notice when you do certain things with positions, it affects your shape.

For example, if i play a number 10 in the AM slot in the middle of the field, the two wide players sit wider. If i move him into the half space left or right, the wide players come inwards slightly.

Likewise, if i play a DM, the wide players sit a little narrower, yet move the DM into a flat midfield 3, the wide men will sit wider.

8 hours ago, ralala said:

The Half-Back drops in bettween a two of Center Backs, pushing them wider and forming a back-three. It's a neat movement for formations with attacking backs.

The HB is a positioning thing. This changes the positioning of the CB. I do not believe this changes the CB instructions or does having a HB add the instruction "Get Wider" to a CB?

Let me put it this way I have a CM-A and a CM-S duo. If I put another CM-S in between them for a CM-A, CM-S, CM-S trio it would not change their instructions just their positioning..

I am wanting to know if the playmaker and target man, by their nature, change the instructions of other players what other roles give instructions?

15 hours ago, Herolover said:

I am wanting to know if the playmaker and target man, by their nature, change the instructions of other players what other roles give instructions?

TM and PM do not literally change instructions of other players (roles), but given that they are ball-magnets, others will normally look to pass the ball to them more than they otherwise would.

But apart from TM and/or PM, the behavior of players is not affected only by their own instructions but the tactic as a whole as well as (to some degree) how the opposition are playing (i.e. current circumstances on the pitch). 

Basically like ED said the existence of any role on the pitch does not in any way impact the player instructions of other players around them. A players movement or passing are affected on the pitch by how they interact  but these are down to the hardcoded behaviour in those roles and in turn also depend on the mentality of the team/player and the roles they are using. Here are a few examples.

Ball playing defender - can end up overlapping and going down the pitch. This can happen when the roles around him give him space and the team is playing on a higher mentality and if the team is playing Playing out of Defence and the BPD has BBOOD.

Halfback with Wingbacks/fullbacks. The halfback is coded to drop between the CDs in certain transitions and in some cases this will push the CDs wider depending on the roles and duties of the players on the flanks

TM - Where a TM is being used in the system, there is a chance that some players with the right roles may look to play balls directly to him, however this is impacted by the general mentality of the team and can be influenced further by specific crossing or passing instructions directing balls to the TM

Playmakers - Many roles are considered playmakers in the game, and these are generally considered a priority receiver of the ball when they make themselves available for the ball

Does the AF push the opposition defensive line deeper. No. Thats a myth.
Does the AF encourage others to find him with direct passes, no, that will happen as a result of mentality, passing directness, or certain roles may seek to play the ball to him because they ran out of options.

You could easily play a one touch passing game on the highest mentality and still have a tactic where only the playmakers or specific roles end up playing direct passes.  

Can I just add? The reason why players might see more direct balls to the AF is because he is most likely on the shoulder of the opponents backline and as a result you might be seeing more risky passing, based on Ti's selected, as he is running into space. However the role itself doesn't encourage direct balls per say. 

Thank you for all the replies.

I have come to understand that Roles, Positions, Duties, Mentality, etc, everything we set in the Tactical Creator, is nothing more than giving instructions to  individual players. Someone mentioned something that made me wonder if by setting a certain role you were giving instructions to the other players. You are affecting your tactic, but not really giving instructions.

21 hours ago, Herolover said:

Thank you for all the replies.

I have come to understand that Roles, Positions, Duties, Mentality, etc, everything we set in the Tactical Creator, is nothing more than giving instructions to  individual players. Someone mentioned something that made me wonder if by setting a certain role you were giving instructions to the other players. You are affecting your tactic, but not really giving instructions.

In older versions I do seem to remember that setting a Trequartista lowered the CF of other players so he always had the highest. I'm not sure if that's still the case anymore but that's the only role I remember doing that. 

But I would argue that by setting a players role you are allowing his team mates to make decisions based on his role. Example being an inverted winger is giving the nod to an attacking WB to overlap when he cuts inside. This is replicated all over the pitch in one way or another. So I do believe that interaction is having an affect or indeed an influence on other players.

Edited by Old Joe Clarke
Oops, got two quotes by mistake...