How early to start young players??

timuss434

I've signed a couple of promising youngsters and 16-17+ How early should i begin playing them in the first team to aid there development ideally? or am i better off leaving them in my under 23 and under 18's or Loaning them out??

Edited by timuss434

Sometimes with players like that, I will put them in the main squad, then make them available to the younger teams to get them games. I'll do this so that I can pair them with a better player for mentoring.

Another option, you can leave them on younger squads, but in the training units, you can add them to main squad practice.

I bought Fabio Silva from Porto at 18 in January he got 15 in 16 by the end of the first season 31 in 29 the second season and so far this season he has 28 in 26, if they're a good player I play them at any age, Marco Kana is getting 7.8 average every game and he's just turned 19, ansu fati 16 goals and 9 assists in 22 games another that's just turned 19, I usually start them off the bench or against teams I'm expected to batter and if they start hitting form they gain my trust, those that take longer as the guy above said, keep selecting them for your B team or u18/19/20 (depending on your league)

I'm playing as Sochaux in Ligue 2 and have a number of very promising 16 year olds.  So I promoted them to the first team squad and made them available to the under 19s.  I play them in some first team games and they're doing well.  Their attributes are shooting up.

What I usually do I look at the stats. If those can use a bump I leave them in the U18. If they're 17 but have decent stats I move them to the U23. I will then occasionally bring one along in matches I should be winning. And drop them in once we're ahead by 2-3 goals. 

Once they hit 18 and I don't have a rotating spot for them I loan them out to clubs with at least good facilities on the level (or above) they should be playing as a regular starter. 

• 3 weeks later...

I typically like to have my top 3-5 prospects training with first team and playing reserves, u23, u21 respective. If they are quality enough to grab a few minutes here and there, great. I don’t promote any one to senior team until they are at least quality enough to play above youth level

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 18:47, Vilmar said:

What I usually do I look at the stats. If those can use a bump I leave them in the U18. If they're 17 but have decent stats I move them to the U23. I will then occasionally bring one along in matches I should be winning. And drop them in once we're ahead by 2-3 goals. 

Once they hit 18 and I don't have a rotating spot for them I loan them out to clubs with at least good facilities on the level (or above) they should be playing as a regular starter. 

Exactly my method, drip feeding is the best bit, you can usually tell if they are likely to be good enough.