Help me fix Mbappe

To give a bit of pre-amble, due to time constraints I am playing FM20 Touch. Started my first game of this year in May. As I usually do, started first game with Man Utd and have had success. Into the fifth season I have two league titles and 3 cup wins (none in Europe). After winning the 2nd league title, I had cash to spare and (inspired by Chelsea paying 200m for Ousmane Dembele) decided to see what happened if I went for Mbappe. In a bit of a surprise, PSG accepted 200m and Mbappe agreed to a contract that was not much more than what Utd were paying Alexis Sanchez who I had just gotten off the books.  I was like a kid at Christmas as I expected Mbappe to pretty much tear it up. I knew he wasn't going to average around an 8 like he had at PSG or Messi and Ronaldo do in the game, but I was hoping for a nice 7.5. I never ever play as Real Madrid, PSG or Barca so never own the best player in the game. So yeah, excited.

First half of the first season and Mbappe was doing decent. He scored some goals (was on around 18 before Christmas and finished the season with 25 as a whole) and he played well. Then Qatar happened. Off he went to the World Cup in December and it was like he never came back. Second half of the season he averaged a 6.75 as the title slipped away by two points. I tried playing through it, no luck. Resting him, no improvement. I played him upfront (advanced forward), left wing (inside forward), right wing (winger). All my other attacking players have continued to be good (or at least good spells followed by erratic spells). As we approach the half way stage of my second season with Mbappe he is now averaging about a 6.8. He was in the World Player of the year shortlist which was fairly hilarious as all other players were about 7.5 and above and he was dead last. It seems every game he rounds the whole team only to miss one on one. Last game he finished on a 5.8 without missing a penalty or getting sent off, which is almost impressive.

I have tried everything I can think of and as it is FM Touch, there isn't much more I can do. I intend for this to be my last season with United as I want to move on to a more challenging save however I would really like to finish it with both a Champions League win, and a sense that this transfer was actually worth it! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I mainly play a Positive 4-2-3-1 (with this being my preferred forward line):

Lautauro M

Rashford   J. David   Mbappe

Edited by crestofadave
Adding additional info

On 30/06/2020 at 11:23, crestofadave said:

To give a bit of pre-amble, due to time constraints I am playing FM20 Touch. Started my first game of this year in May. As I usually do, started first game with Man Utd and have had success. Into the fifth season I have two league titles and 3 cup wins (none in Europe). After winning the 2nd league title, I had cash to spare and (inspired by Chelsea paying 200m for Ousmane Dembele) decided to see what happened if I went for Mbappe. In a bit of a surprise, PSG accepted 200m and Mbappe agreed to a contract that was not much more than what Utd were paying Alexis Sanchez who I had just gotten off the books.  I was like a kid at Christmas as I expected Mbappe to pretty much tear it up. I knew he wasn't going to average around an 8 like he had at PSG or Messi and Ronaldo do in the game, but I was hoping for a nice 7.5. I never ever play as Real Madrid, PSG or Barca so never own the best player in the game. So yeah, excited.

First half of the first season and Mbappe was doing decent. He scored some goals (was on around 18 before Christmas and finished the season with 25 as a whole) and he played well. Then Qatar happened. Off he went to the World Cup in December and it was like he never came back. Second half of the season he averaged a 6.75 as the title slipped away by two points. I tried playing through it, no luck. Resting him, no improvement. I played him upfront (advanced forward), left wing (inside forward), right wing (winger). All my other attacking players have continued to be good (or at least good spells followed by erratic spells). As we approach the half way stage of my second season with Mbappe he is now averaging about a 6.8. He was in the World Player of the year shortlist which was fairly hilarious as all other players were about 7.5 and above and he was dead last. It seems every game he rounds the whole team only to miss one on one. Last game he finished on a 5.8 without missing a penalty or getting sent off, which is almost impressive.

I have tried everything I can think of and as it is FM Touch, there isn't much more I can do. I intend for this to be my last season with United as I want to move on to a more challenging save however I would really like to finish it with both a Champions League win, and a sense that this transfer was actually worth it! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I mainly play a Positive 4-2-3-1 (with this being my preferred forward line):

Lautauro M

Rashford   J. David   Mbappe

A few bits to unpack here. Firstly, Martinez, Mbappe and Rashford are all quick forwards, suited to breaking into space behind opposition defences. None of them have great aerial capabilities or are massively creative. Your choice of Advanced Forward and a left sided Inside Forward does suit your options. You'll want to try to create that space for them by dropping off slightly when the opposition have the ball. Then you can win the ball back in midfield and look to launch passes quickly to get your men in behind.

I'd suggest having a look at the player comparison of Rashford and Mbappe. I had a quick check on one of my saves and their hexagon is almost identically shaped, but with Rashford being inferior in all but aerial attributes. There's no doubting that Rashford is a great player (and a wonderful human being), but Mbappe is simply better at what they both do well. To have a squad option like Rashford is fortunate, as he can fill in a few positions.

For me, Mbappe doesn't make a great winger as his crossing, passing and work rate aren't fantastic. It's not a role that looks to bring the best out of him.

I think you have to pick two from Mbappe, Rashford and Martinez each game and try to avoid shoehorning them into roles that are unsuited. Then I'd have a look at seeing what you can do with the right wing position, perhaps see if you have a creative player who can fire your guys passes and crosses. Having that quality rotation option will be really useful for you throughout the season.

Edited by bibird.