Half of my team on international duty

First game of the season and most of my best players are in the olympics. How is this seriously still an issue. It's a joke because i have to field a really poor side now.2090516991_internationalduty.thumb.PNG.716c2fc77a7c7282adde5cc44332a732.PNG

Olympics is essentially an under 23's tournament is it not, that you know is coming every four years. 

I realise stocking teams with U23 potential is a huge attraction to FM players, but it means you will have to plan for things like this.

Clubs are not required to release players for the Olympics, so you should not be forced to release your club's players for the Olympics in FM.

First link is in regards to 2016, second from a story that was posted in March 2020.

“The event is not part of the international match calendar. However, FIFA is asking for support from the clubs to allow players who are called up by their national teams to be given the chance to be part of the Olympic experience.” (i.e. it's optional for clubs)

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/fifa-olympics-release-players-clubs-soccer-rio-2016-qatar-2022-world-cup/

"Clubs are not obliged to release players for the Olympic football tournament, which does not fall within official FIFA international dates."

https://scroll.in/field/955089/psg-within-their-right-to-stop-mbappe-playing-at-olympics-says-france-coach-deschamps

And when it tells you which players are going on international duty, baring the senior national squad (which you're required to release players to), you can refuse to release them.

17 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

And when it tells you which players are going on international duty, baring the senior national squad (which you're required to release players to), you can refuse to release them.

This is only true for players over 23. Players under 23 that are picked for the Olympics do not get the withdraw option. Something that needs to be added for sure. 

You are also not allowed to withdraw players from an age specific team if they are playing an official qualifying match or international tournament, so your post is all over the place really (in regards to FM). 

Here's a screenshot: 

Football Manager 2020 06_07_2020 16.30.49.png

Edited by Nacaw

18 hours ago, USASoundersFan said:

Clubs are not required to release players for the Olympics, so you should not be forced to release your club's players for the Olympics in FM.

First link is in regards to 2016, second from a story that was posted in March 2020.

“The event is not part of the international match calendar. However, FIFA is asking for support from the clubs to allow players who are called up by their national teams to be given the chance to be part of the Olympic experience.” (i.e. it's optional for clubs)

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/fifa-olympics-release-players-clubs-soccer-rio-2016-qatar-2022-world-cup/

"Clubs are not obliged to release players for the Olympic football tournament, which does not fall within official FIFA international dates."

https://scroll.in/field/955089/psg-within-their-right-to-stop-mbappe-playing-at-olympics-says-france-coach-deschamps

This is absolutely the case in real life, and there's countless articles every cycle about which players get to go, even those initially eligible are  often doubtful to go because of their club. There also seems to be some bias, where teams like Brazil are excellent at getting big stars to go (Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Hulk in 2012, Neymar in 2016), other counties can't even get their eligible players released for it. Then there's the whole thing about England not being able to go because Great Britain is the IOC member, not England.  

All that is probably too complex to code for FM, for a small tourney every 4 years. I understand that. I'm not even sure where you'd begin, because it seems like the clubs make these decisions on an individual player basis, so PSG might allow Neymar, but block Mbappe (in theory). 

It's a bit of a catch 22 though, because If they gave the option to withdraw like clubs have IRL, the AI would no doubt either withdraw too many or withdraw none. In the first case, it would be a really weird tournament not reflective of how it is in real life and we'd lose some realism. In the second case human players would have an advantage as the AI would be missing players and they wouldn't (because lets face it, we'd all withdraw them unless there was some kind of punishment for it)

Edited by Nacaw