Defender's clearing ball behind for Corners

I don't know if it has to do with what defenders I have, but my players seem to clear the ball out behind for an opposition corner way too often. When they have plenty of room (5-10 yards) to turn and play the ball, or to simply boot it up the field. They're set to play out from the back as BPD, but I just don't like how frequently they clear in behind when it's extremely easy for them to pivot and clear it away.

54 minutes ago, Mandy42 said:

No expert but I noticed this happened to me more in the games where I played either with a cautious mentality, or I had players who were indicating they were nervous.

It's not happening to me at all, though I watch on Extended highlights only these days. I do use a Cautious Mentality tactic. Nervousness can certainly influence behaviour like that though.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

It's not happening to me at all, though I watch on Extended highlights only these days. I do use a Cautious Mentality tactic. Nervousness can certainly influence behaviour like that though.

yeah I'm on extended highlights myself, I've only been on cautious mentality a couple of games this last season, it is much more likely when my players are nervous. 

Yeah, I frequently get 3-4 sequential corners, all due to my defenders just handing them another one by booting it behind the net. Should be an option to fine them for each time they do that, or at the very least an explicit instruction to tell them NOT to do this unless there is no other choice. Virtually every time I see it, they aren't under high pressure. While I do play in lower leagues, I usually opt for good decision makers in terms of defenders, and those with good composure. Doesn't help, of course - they continue to do this one boneheaded thing. Just clearing it long up the field would be a vastly better alternative. I do tend to notice this behavior somewhat less in no-nonsense defenders, but I usually don't use them in my standard tactics given their more direct passing.

I play on comprehensive and see it very often.
Regardless of team, country, body language etc.

Players can stand there for a while, all alone with the next player 15-20 yards away not doing anything and then the defender just boots the ball into orbit as a clearance. That's just one extreme example.
But defenders tend to needlessly play for the corner way too often, regardless whether they're under pressure or not.

The worst one i can remember was an overhit cross where there weren't any players to receive the ball even, apart from the defenders. It was a failed counter-attack. Bad judgement.
Defender picked the ball up with no opposition player around and plenty of time. Defender controlled the ball and took the ball forward a couple of yards (we're outside the penalty area and about 15 yards up the pitch, towards the sideline), with a bunch of teammates open for a pass. All of a sudden the defender does a 180 and just boots the ball out for a corner. It was not a backpass. It was away from the goalie and towards the corner flag up to the upper stands.
This behaviour is not right, at all.
That, as mentioned, was the worst example i can remember. But that general behaviour is in virtually every game, for both sides and it's been annoying me for quite some time.

It happens (in my game) with all teams. Human controlled and AI controlled, regardless of the level they're playing at.

At times my Players (CD) seem to clear Balls to Corners for little reason but not overly often, most Corners occur bcs my Players block a ball but it is deflected behind for a Corner to occur - there is one Problem i have with this and that is the ranges bcs there is no reason a block 25yrd from the line can have a ball deflected behind but it happens with regularity.

I do not play with BPDs bcs to me it seems they only increase the margin of errors while doing very little of worth to the build up of an attack a CD could not do also - the only BPD i use is my DLP at the DMC Position where i often try to use a BPD type of Player and at that Position it makes a huge difference actually.

Edited by Etebaer

I see this all too often with my defenders. At first I put it down to lower league players being indecisive or their composure not being high enough. Then, the team transformed into a premier league winning team and 'wold class' players were making the same mistakes.

It makes the composure attribute for defenders worthless in my eyes. 

This is probably my biggest bugbear in this years FM20, I watch on comprehensive and see it far too often (along with rabona crosses) I can say through trying all the CB roles/combos to try to eliminate it, the role makes no difference, to me mentality makes no difference, either. The worst examples I've seen are the CB spinning 270 degrees to boot it out for a corner, when at 90 degrees could boot it upfield, at 180 degrees boot it out for a throw, but no always a corner. I would suggest it definitely needs looking at, I can only tolerate it because the AI does it a lot too, so to me the numbers need turning down.

Edited by toffee71

It is nothing new. This year it just happens to be clearances that they boot over the backline, often without being under any pressure, or at least being able to hoof it for a throw in instead.

The last couple of years, there were also tons of unnecessary corners. Then it was just awful back passes to the keeper, that would run out over the backline.

I am not seeing extra corners compared to IRL (without doing any in-depth investigation), so I tend to think that it is the match engine compensating for less corners in normal play. I also think that is why 9 out of 10 blocked crosses seems to go out for corners, even when far from the back line.

In FM20 it looks even rather realistic to me. Players who are under pressure (or face byline, so they can't be sure what's going on behind them) will clear the ball hastily. Yes, YOU can see that there's 5 meters around him and it's enough to turn around and searched for the ball, but the player very often has not that vision behind his back.

In FM16 it was much more annoying that defenders couldn't give a simple back pass to goalkeeper, even without much pressure, and often that back pass went for corner to opposition. Also, there were a lot of situations when clearing the ball to throw-in would have been easy, but defender still decided to play it across byline for a corner. At some of that really became frustrating.