Impact Role BPD and DLP in Counter Strategy

Help me... 

1. What is the impact of the combined roles of the BPD and DLP-D ..? I play a counter attack strategy with a fast tempo.

2. Is it true that the role of BPD will make DLP malfunctioning?

3. Or the role of DLP is not suitable in the counter attack strategy?

I used the 4-2 DM-2-1-1 and 4-4-1-1 Asymetryc formations

Edited by syamqid_noval

If you compare both roles in terms of PIs, the BPD has more freedom to dribble (regular CD is hardcoded to dribble less often), plays more risky passes and i think (can't really tell as i'm not playing FM18) has more direct passing and creative freedom. 

This means that a BPD will dribble into midfield more often than a normal CD and play a more expansive game from deep. If you wan't your early build-up stages to flow directly through a DLP you will probably want to ensure he gets the ball deep in a more safe and controlled manner. In this case, a normal CD is probably the best option in order to ensure they don't try to bypass your DLP.

A BPD with a DLP its not always a bad a idea though, as the BPD dribbling into midfield can create superiority in midfield and you can take advantage of this if your DLP is marked for example. In real life, when both Kroos or Casemiro are marked in a Real game, Ramos will often skip them by dribbling into midfield himself or launching deep long passes into the flanks. 

To answer your question, a BPD does not necessarely make a DLP less optimal, but it can get in your way if you want to focus your build up through a DLP, but a combination of the two can work if you want a more dynamic play out from the back. I myself often turn a regular CB into a BPD during games if my DLP is having a bad game or if he's having trouble in a clogged midfield or if he's being marked. Your BPD should not be choosen lightly however, i often look for players with mental (decisions, composure, concentration, teamwork) as well as technical attributes (i value dribbling a lot for this role) in order to play as a BPD.

Personally i almost always go with normal CDs if i play with a DLP (specially one in the DM strata) because i want the DLP to get the ball in a more controlled manner. If it gets hard (opposition pressing or marking in midfield) i consider changing one CD into a BPD, but it is more often a situational change and not something that stays in my tactic. 

Edited by Sebas

10 hours ago, syamqid_noval said:

@Experienced Defender What do you think about the combination of the roles of DLP-D and BPD ..?  Is it true that BPD makes the role of DLP less optimal?

I would generally look to avoid the DLP on defend duty in a tactic that is supposed to be counter-attack-minded, regardless of the BPD. BPD does make sense in a counter-attacking style of play. But when it comes to the DLP, I would rather have him on support duty and preferably in central midfield (assuming I want to use that role as such, which is not necessary). 

But that's just me and my personal approach. Do not assume by any means that other kinds of tactical approach are wrong or cannot work. Don't be afraid to experiment, because this wonderful game offers so many different possibilities and combinations :thup:

On 07/08/2020 at 20:14, syamqid_noval said:

1. What is the impact of the combined roles of the BPD and DLP-D ..? I play a counter attack strategy with a fast tempo.

It's not "wrong" to use BPD and DLP, as long as you understand what each of them do.

DLP is generally best used in systems that look to build from the back. He will drop deep to collect the ball and since he's a "ball-magnet", team will look for him often. BPD on the other hand, will look to step up and launch defense-splitting passes from deep, which could result in your DLP being ignored sometimes.

A few examples, High is a DLP and Reynolds a BPD:

• Example 1

7xRDv76.png

BPD receives the ball and has two simple passing options

P3ZhW2M.png

Instead, he tries to find a winger with a risky pass

• Example 2

n1NHkfT.png

Although under pressure, DLP is available for a pass

HC0UOnp.png

BPD ignores him and launches a long ball into space

• Example 3

RQE2NGe.png

DLP drops deep to receive the ball

vXmSWQs.png

And gets ignored in favour of a risky pass

I'd say it depends on just how much of the build up you want to go through your DLP. If you want him to be very involved, CDs would make more sense.

I find no issues with BPD and DLP and I play mainly on FM 18, but that's for possession oriented tactics. Since you want to play on the counter, the DLP will slow things down and unless you want that, I suggest you pick a different role. I've never used a DLP in a counter attacking tactic as it makes no sense to me, but hey, every team is different. Just know that when you pick a playmaking role, the team will look to pass to the playmaker by default. Like someone said above me, they are "ball-magnets". Have you tried Secundo Volante? Box to Box also works really well with BWM. 

If you really want that protection in front of the defence, however, try out CM on Defend. He stays deep and breaks up attacks, but will not offer much in attack. And if you don't like any of those options, you can always play CMs and customize it the way you want to. 

The BPD tend to launch balls forward from time to time so they are fine. But again, I've used just normal CD in counter attacking tactics, because if I am playing this way, my team is not that good on the ball anyway. I hope this helps!  

@Impacto I am a manager who likes to play with possession and attacking strategies.  I was initially comfortable with this tactic I was good at.  But when I read the story of Tiger Woods, who dared to try a different shot from his habits, that's when I wanted to try something different from my habit.  At least to be an alternative tactic.

Because I play too often with possession tactics, I take part in using the DLP role in counter tactics.  However, I often find a mismatch between the tactics and the combination of roles I described earlier.

4 hours ago, syamqid_noval said:

@Experienced Defender Your suggestions for changing duty to support are worth a try. So far I only use the defend duty. Thanks.. 

Okay, but be careful not to upset the overall tactical balance. Because when it comes to tactics, you should never view anything in isolation. Even the (seemingly) slightest change can sometimes make a big difference, either for the better or worse.