[FM20] - Fola's final career

Fola

I haven't played FM20 for a while, let alone do a career on here however I have decided to do one last save before FM21 comes out.

Exclusive: Norwich City players to share £10m bonus if they secure ...

The team I have decided to do my final save with is Norwich City. As you know, Norwich were relegated from the Premier League in real life after a dismal season. The aim of this save is to keep Norwich City in the Premier League. If I get sacked, this will be the end of this career and the end of my FM20 journey. I have decided to make this a little bit harder and I will not handle ANY transfer business. My director of football will take care of everything- the player contracts, the outgoings, the incomings, everything to do with who comes in and out of my squad.

I have turned off the transfer window in the first transfer window but in January, I hope that my Director Of Football Stuart Webber will do a good job for me, unlike in real life.

Training Ground Guru | Stuart Webber: Climb of the Canaries

Looking at the squad, we do have some good players here. Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia all are Premier League quality. The rest of the squad, potentially not so much. Below is the squad I have at my disposal for the upcoming campaign:

rt8aJqf.png

In terms of tactics, I will look to be defensively solid and try and frustrate the opposition. In Cantwell and Buendia we have two players who can hopefully be our bright sparks but my number one aim to keep the ball out of our net. I don't expect us to win many games but if we manage to beat the teams around us, then I will be happy.

Okay, lets start the season!

Edited by Fola

10th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 1

2MdVqBy.png

Starting XI: Krul; Byram, Godfrey, Klose, McLean; Tettey; Buendia*, Trybull, Rupp**, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley, Aarons, Leitner, Duda*, Stiepermann, Drmic**

What a wonderful start to the season. Going forwards, I will update more on a daily basis on whatever happens in the save but I managed to get one game out of the way first before deciding on creating a career thread. I started in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Pukki up top on his own. Alexander Tettey was given the job of man marking Jack Grealish and he did really well, stifling Villa's star man. We were missing Max Aarons, who could only make the bench and also Jamal Lewis who has been ruled out for three weeks. We started the first half well and kept Villa well at bay. Villa scored after the break before Klose headed in from a corner. We brought on Duda for Rupp and pushed him into a CAM position and it looks to be a tactical masterstroke as he scored from long range to put us ahead. Unfortunately, straight after the goal, Engels headed in from a corner for Villa. Just as I thought we were going to get a point, Todd Cantwell drifted past John McGinn and fired past Pepe Reina from 25 yards in the fifth minute of injury time. Great start.

EN5Sv2Z.jpg

Norwich MOTM: Todd Cantwell (8.6)
League Position: 6th
Next Opponent: Crystal Palace (A)

Edited by Fola

17th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 2

LyrliCb.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Hanley, Klose, McLean; Godfrey; Buendia, Trybull, Rupp, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Vrancic, Tettey, Leitner, Duda, Stiepermann, Drmic

Well, that was embarrassing. Game was over after 12 minutes. Played Godfrey in CDM to try and keep Zaha quiet, which to be fair, he did well. Everyone else was poor. Arsenal away next.

Crystal Palace 2-0 Norwich City: Luka Milivojevic scores on 100th ...

Norwich MOTM: Tim Klose (6.6)
League Position: 13th
Next Opponent: Arsenal (A)

Edited by Fola

21st August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 3

yQphTGp.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons*, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Tettey; Buendia, Trybull, Rupp, Cantwell**; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley*, Vrancic**, Leitner, Duda, Stiepermann, Drmic

The Pukki Party has well and truly started. What a great result. After the Palace performance, I was expecting the worst but we played brilliantly, even if we did concede an equaliser late on. Made the decision to play Aarons and Lewis even though they both weren't match fit but nice to have them back in the team. Put Tettey man marking Ozil and he kept him quiet. Told the team to go more direct and try and get in behind David Luiz and it worked a treat. Both Pukki's goals came from long balls. We face Manchester United next, another tough one but if we can get another point then happy days.

Arsenal 2-1 Norwich City - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Teemu Pukki (8.8)
League Position: 11th
Next Opponent: Manchester United (A)

24th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 4

HuMeQwc.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Tettey; Buendia, Trybull, Rupp, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley, McLean, Leitner, Duda, Stiepermann, Drmic

Went with the same team that started again Arsenal. Martial made us look like children. Battering. Grimsby up next, easy.

How important is Anthony Martial to Man Utd? - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Ben Godfrey (6.8)
League Position: 14th
Next Opponent: Grimsby (A)

28th August 2019 - Carabao Cup - Second Round

3rvLsQ7.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons*, Godfrey, Klose, McLean; Tettey; Buendia, Duda, Rupp, Cantwell; Pukki**.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley*, Trybull, Leitner, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Drmic**

Well that wasn't supposed to happen. Played a strong team but we couldn't break down League Two side Grimsby and then lost on penalties, with Todd Cantwell missing the decisive spot kick. Embarrasing.

Grimsby Town 3-0 Eastleigh (5-1 agg) - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Ben Godfrey (8.0)
Next Opponent: Leicester (H)

31st August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 5

GJBXpIU.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Byram; Tettey; Buendia*, Trybull, Rupp, Cantwell**; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley, McLean, Vrancic, Duda*, Stiepermann**, Drmic

Oooooh yes! What a great win against a strong Leicester side. Sam Bryam came in for the injured Jamal Lewis but the rest of the team was pretty much as it has been for the previous games. I put Tettey man marking Maddison and Trybull man marking Tielemans and it kept them both quiet. We only had 8 shots on goal compared to Leicester's 24 but we defended brilliantly. Klose scored a header from a Buendia free kick and Pukki scored a one-on-one after a long ball over the top. Internationals up next so haven't got a game for a few weeks. Burnley up next though, a must win.

Norwich City 1-0 Leicester City: Canaries breathe life into ...

Norwich MOTM: Emi Buendia (8.9)
League Position: 10th
Next Opponent: Burnley (H)

14th September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 6

uTqPKID.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Byram; Tettey; Buendia, McLean, Rupp*, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley, Trybull, Vrancic, Duda*, Stiepermann, Drmic

Struggled today against an in-form Burnley side who are actually sitting top of the table. Two early goals did us and we never really were in the game.

Burnley 2-0 Norwich City: Wood double lifts the Clarets to seventh ...

Norwich MOTM: Tim Klose (6.8)
League Position: 12th
Next Opponent: Chelsea (H)

21st September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 7

MM0IFvH.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Byram; Tettey; Buendia, McLean, Rupp, Stiepermann; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Hanley, Trybull, Vrancic, Duda, Cantwell , Drmic

A really frustrating game. The first half we played really well and could of been two infront if Pukki would have been able to put his chances away. They scored just before half time which knocked the stuffing out of us. Searched for an equaliser but got done on the break twice. It doesn't get any easier, we face Liverpool next.

Norwich 2-3 Chelsea: Tammy Abraham scores twice as Frank Lampard ...

Norwich MOTM: Tim Klose (6.9)
League Position: 15th
Next Opponent: Liverpool (A)

28th September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 8

tuIp9he.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Zimmermann, Klose, Lewis; Tettey, Godfrey; Buendia, Rupp*, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Trybull, Vrancic, Duda*, Stiepermann , Drmic

Changed the system to try and stem Liverpool's attacking threat but it didn't work at all. Zimmermann came in for his first appearance of the season while Ben Godfrey played in CDM alongside Tettey. Liverpool were just too good. Worried about the amount of goals we are conceding but never expected to win this. Big game against West Ham next.

Norwich City 0-1 Liverpool: Unstoppable charge towards title ...

Norwich MOTM: Teemu Pukki (6.7)
League Position: 16th
Next Opponent: West Ham (A)

5th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 9

1JAGCoC.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Buendia, Tettey, Rupp, Trybull*, Cantwell; Pukki. 
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Zimmermann, Vrancic, Duda*, Stiepermann , Drmic

Didn't manage to score for the fourth match running but nice to stop the run of defeats with a good away draw. Changed the formation slightly from 4-1-4-1 to 4-5-1 to try and overrun them in midfield and it did well. Could of won it near the end too. I wonder if we will ever score a goal ever. Where is the Pukki Party?!

Michail Antonio is the first West Ham player to score four goals in a top-flight match since David Cross in 1981

Norwich MOTM: Tim Klose (7.3)
Next Opponent: Tottenham (A)

19th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 10

NyU387O.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Hernandez, Tettey, Duda*, Trybull, Cantwell; Pukki. 
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Zimmermann, Vrancic**, Rupp, Buendia, Drmic

Fifth game without scoring. I need a Pukki Party soon. I am getting withdrawals. Onel Hernandez came in for his first start of the season as we went for 5 in midfield once again. Unfortunately for us, Harry Kane is just another level compared to our defence. Everton at home next- will we score a goal?

Norwich City 2-2 Tottenham: Harry Kane penalty earns Spurs a point ...

Norwich MOTM: Tim Klose (6.8)
League Position: 17th
Next Opponent: Everton (H)

26th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 11

MVcglax.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Buendia, Tettey, Vrancic*, Trybull, Cantwell; Pukki. 
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Zimmermann, Stiepermann*, Rupp, Hernandez, Drmic

Well, we scored but it was another defeat unfortunately. I am not too disheartened though, like I said at the start, I am just aiming to beat the teams around me. We have dropped into the relegation zone but we face Brighton next. Huge, huge game.

Everton 1-0 Watford: Early Bernard goal enough for Everton - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Emi Buendia (7.2)
League Position: 18th
Next Opponent: Brighton (H)

2nd November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 12

zozG6Ab.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Tettey; Buendia*, Trybull, Rupp, Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Zimmermann, Stiepermann, Vrancic, Hernandez*, Drmic

We scored a goal and we won a game. What a fantastic day. I went back to my original formation 4-1-4-1 with Tettey sitting in front of the defence. We defended really well and Lukas Rupp scored his first goal for the club to secure us a vital win. Up to 16th now and we face Newcastle next who are 19th. Massive game.

Norwich City: 'Man City upset typical of Canaries' bold approach ...

Norwich MOTM: Lukas Rupp (8.2)
Next Opponent: Newcastle (A)

Edited by Fola

2nd November 2019 - Premier League League Table - 12/38

5YvHwIG.png

Two points out of the relegation zone. I don't expect Tottenham to be down here for much longer. Really shows how important the next match is against Newcastle.

3rd November 2019

ZMSkitN.png

My director of football has done his first bit of business this season. Remember, I am taking no part in any transfer activity, it is all up to Stuart Webber. Josip Drmic has only featured twice off the bench this season and Pukki is my starting striker. Drmic is either heading to Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan- I am hoping we have got a replacement lined up for January.

HL2nTFG.png

For now, I have promoted Adam Idah from my under 23 side and he will become Pukki's backup. He has scored 9 goals in 12 appearances for the under 23's.

Qvl2EZg.png 

9th November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 13

G19X5EG.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Tettey; Buendia*, Trybull**, Rupp, Hernandez; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Byram, Zimmermann, Stiepermann, Vrancic, Cantwell*, Idah**

That was shocking. Probably the biggest game of our season so far against a relegation rival and we got absolutely destroyed. Manchester City up next...

Newcastle United 6-2 Norwich City - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Lukas Rupp (6.6)
Next Opponent: Manchester City (A)

23rd November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 14

Oi85IXp.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Cantwell, Tettey*, Rupp, Hernandez; Pukki**.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Trybull*, Stiepermann, Vrancic, Duda, Idah**

Played five at the back to try and stop City. Didn't work. Lost 6-0 and now in the relegation zone.

Manchester City - Football - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Tim Krul (6.7)
Next Opponent: Bouremouth (H)

Edited by Fola

30th November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 15

YIwOnX1.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Vrancic*, Trybull, Cantwell; Stiepermann**; Pukki***.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam*, Tettey**, Rupp, Duda, Hernandez, Idah***

Absolutely brilliant, what a brilliant win. I changed the system completely after a few horrendous displays. We went for 5 at the back, with Vrancic coming in alongside Trybull in CM for his first start of the season. Cantwell was at LM while Stiepermann was in CAM behind Pukki. As we had no RM, I put Aarons as wing back on an attack duty and he did really well. We needed that win. We are now out of the relegation zone and play Sheffield United next, another huge game.

Bournemouth 0-0 Norwich: Canaries earn first away point - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Tom Trybull (8.3)
Next Opponent: Sheffield United (A)

Just now, anagain said:

The old Newcastle-effect again. As a Bournemouth fan how well do I know that?

The Brighton win shows you have it in you. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment mate- they battered us, it was horrendous. Sorry, we just beat Bournemouth... 

4th December 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 16

bwef9W7.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons*, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Vrancic, Trybull, Cantwell; Stiepermann; Pukki**.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam*, Tettey, Rupp, Duda, Hernandez, Idah**

It's getting silly now. A huge game for us and we got absolutely battered... again. We are still not in the relegation zone but we play Southampton next who are 18th, this is massive.

Norwich City 1-2 Sheffield United - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Todd Cantwell (6.9)
Next Opponent: Southampton (H)

7th December 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 17

ehXgYIQ.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Buendia, Cantwell; Stiepermann; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Tettey*, Vrancic, Rupp, Hernandez**, Idah***

Changed the formation again for this one. Went for a 5-1-2-1-1 formation with Trybull in front of the back 5, Buendia and Cantwell on the wings and Stiepermann behind Pukki up top. I thought the worst when Southampton scored after 30 seconds but we regained our composure and got a quick goal from Pukki before Hanley headed in from a corner. Watford up next, they're 17th- we are now 4 points clear of the drop zone.

Teemu Pukki: Norwich striker among August Premier League player of ...

Norwich MOTM: Teemu Pukki (8.3)
Next Opponent: Watford (A)

14th December 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 18

2pNFDiw.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Buendia, Cantwell*; Stiepermann; Pukki**.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Tettey, Vrancic, Rupp, Hernandez*, Idah**

Kept the same team as the win against Southampton. Solid away point. Would of liked to have got a win but happy to come away with a point against one of our rivals. Three points clear of the relegation zone.

Watford 2-1 Norwich: Danny Welbeck's overhead kick gives Hornets ...

Norwich MOTM: Grant Hanley (7.1)
Next Opponent: Wolves (A)

21st December 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 19

jwG2GML.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Hernandez, Cantwell*; Buendia; Pukki**.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam*, Tettey, Vrancic, Rupp, Stiepermann, Idah**

We were never really in this one. Changed it up and put Buendia as CAM and Hernandez came in on the right but we never really looked like scoring. Still out of the relegation zone but we have Liverpool next which will be a tough one.

Wolves 3-0 Norwich City: Diogo Jota scoring run continues in ...

Norwich MOTM: Ben Godfrey (6.9)
Next Opponent: Liverpool (H)

28th December 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 20

eFcH8QG.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Hernandez, Cantwell; Buendia; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Tettey, Vrancic, Rupp, Stiepermann, Idah

We just aren't up to even putting up a fight to sides like Liverpool to be honest. We got battered. We have dropped to 17th and we've got Chelsea up next. Transfer window opens soon, need my Director Of Football to pull some signings out the bag.

Liverpool 4-1 Norwich: Newly promoted side overwhelmed at Anfield ...

Norwich MOTM: Tim Krul (7.2)
Next Opponent: Chelsea (A)

1st January 2020

FSGTzcM.png

The transfer window has opened and my director of football has already shipped a player out. Zimmermann leaves us and joins our rivals Burnley. I wouldn't have accepted it, but like I said, the Director of football rules here.

sS0iB2T.png

1st January 2020 - Premier League - Matchday 21

F8OKRL1.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Hernandez, Cantwell; Buendia; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Tettey, Vrancic, Rupp, Stiepermann, Idah

Another tough one but I didn't really expect anything from this. Wigan away next in the FA Cup. We haven't scored for 4 games now so hopefully we can get a win and get the confidence up. Still out of the relegation zone,for now anyway.

Chelsea 1-0 Norwich: Lampard 'wants more' as Blues move clear in ...

Norwich MOTM: Tom Trybull (7.0)
Next Opponent: Wigan (H)

4th January 2020 - FA Cup - Round 3

qLE7zC6.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Trybull; Hernandez, Cantwell; Stiepermann; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Tettey, Vrancic, Rupp, Drmic, Idah

Terrible. Another loss in a cup competition against a side in a lower league than us. I need new signings and I need my DOF to start getting me some players. Oh yeah, Drmic has returned from his loan so he was on the bench.

Wigan Athletic: Championship club taken over by Next Leader Fund ...

Norwich MOTM: Tom Trybull (6.8)
Next Opponent: West Ham (H)

Edited by Fola

11th January 2020 - Premier League - Matchday 22

LQLtHJg.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis; Tettey; Hernandez, Drmic; Cantwell; Pukki.
Subs: McGovern, Bryam, Trybull, Vrancic, Rupp, McLean, Idah

I have no words. I need 8 points out of my next 4 games or I am sacked.

West Ham United 2-0 Norwich City: Sebastien Haller scores third ...

Norwich MOTM: Onel Hernandez (7.1)
Next Opponent: Tottenham (A)

15th January 2020 - Premier League - Matchday 23

WPbfWIg.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Klose, Lewis; Hernandez, Tettey, Trybull, Cantwell; Idah, Pukki.
Subs: Fahrmann, Byram, Hanley, McLean, Rupp, Vrancic, Drmic

That was better. Went for 4-4-2, back to basics. Managed to get a draw with 10 men. I will be gutted if I get sacked. Need 7 points from the next 3 games or I'm gone. So pretty much if I don't win the next 3 games I'm gone.

Norwich City 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Onel Hernandez (8.3)
Next Opponent: Crystal Palace (H)

Edited by Fola

18th January 2020 - Premier League - Matchday 24

7KtULrC.png

Starting XI: Krul; Aarons, Godfrey, Scholz, Lewis; Hernandez*, Rupp, Trybull, Cantwell; Idah**, Pukki.
Subs: Fahrmann, Byram, Hanley, McLean, Buendia*, Vrancic, Drmic**

We won. Out of the relegation zone. I am so disheartened. We are out of the relegation zone and if I don't win my next 2 games, I will be sacked. This is ridiculous. 

Norwich City 1-0 Crystal Palace - BBC Sport

Norwich MOTM: Ben Godfrey (8.6)
Next Opponent: Wolves (H)