"Player Has Reacted Badly To your Last Chat"

3 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

What? That is the last conversation I had with the player. Look at the screen. 

I did. That's how I noticed the other chat. :brock:  If you look at the screen too, you will see there is a chat 4 days before that one you posted. So, how did that go?

Some players don't like to be called into the office to talk about the same thing over and over, even if it is praise. If you just praised their training, then a week later praise them again, they sometimes get annoyed. That looks like what happened here. Their response to the 10/24 chat was probably "I'm not prepared to go over this again." 

On the other hand, I've noticed that some players can't get enough praise. My current striker for instance.

5 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Some players don't like to be called into the office to talk about the same thing over and over, even if it is praise. If you just praised their training, then a week later praise them again, they sometimes get annoyed. That looks like what happened here. Their response to the 10/24 chat was probably "I'm not prepared to go over this again." 

On the other hand, I've noticed that some players can't get enough praise. My current striker for instance.

I’ve experienced this before when praising players for training only.  They would normally say they “don’t want to go over this again”. 
   Never saw this after a match performances. If a player didn’t agree with me praising him after a match, he would say so in the conversation. 
   I had one hot tempered German regen wonderkid that I praised after a match and his reaction was : “Just let me focus on my game”. I never praised any of his performances again. 
    But this specific case is unusual. 

3 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

I’ve experienced this before when praising players for training only.  They would normally say they “don’t want to go over this again”. 
   Never saw this after a match performances. If a player didn’t agree with me praising him after a match, he would say so in the conversation. 
   I had one hot tempered German regen wonderkid that I praised after a match and his reaction was : “Just let me focus on my game”. I never praised any of his performances again. 
    But this specific case is unusual. 

I've had exactly what was described happen -- praising for match performance. Now I always check conversation history first.

2 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I've had exactly what was described happen -- praising for match performance. Now I always check conversation history first.

It is frankly ridiculous that we have to check the conversation history at the end of a game before praising a player, just in case we get the equally ridiculous "I dont want to go over this again" reaction:(

7 hours ago, FrazT said:

It is frankly ridiculous that we have to check the conversation history at the end of a game before praising a player, just in case we get the equally ridiculous "I dont want to go over this again" reaction:(

IRL what would your reaction be if your boss came up to you every week to tell you that you were doing a great job? I suspect that most people would think that the boss was being sarcastic. 

Praising a player is obviously not working properly in some instances. Just don't use it, simple. Praise players only for really good form or when they score 2+ goals or get 2+ assists in game. This way it almost never backfires. And to be fair, you don't even need to praise them at all. It does nothing, really. It only raises morale slightly if succesful, but most of the time when a player is in form and deserves a praise, he already has high morale anyway.

Also, never praise for any international stuff, first goal or appearence, it's flat out broken. Just don't do it, there is no need.  

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

IRL what would your reaction be if your boss came up to you every week to tell you that you were doing a great job? I suspect that most people would think that the boss was being sarcastic. 

In game we are not talking about every week-even if it was every week, employees might be indifferent to regular praise, might say nothing, but IMO would never talk back to their boss in that tone.  In my view the praising player module needs some work.

2 hours ago, Impacto said:

Praising a player is obviously not working properly in some instances. Just don't use it, simple. Praise players only for really good form or when they score 2+ goals or get 2+ assists in game. This way it almost never backfires. And to be fair, you don't even need to praise them at all. It does nothing, really. It only raises morale slightly if succesful, but most of the time when a player is in form and deserves a praise, he already has high morale anyway.

Also, never praise for any international stuff, first goal or appearence, it's flat out broken. Just don't do it, there is no need.  

Don't agree with this. Just keep a reasonable balance between praise/criticism overdo it, particularly if a players shows signs of not responding well to constant praise. The one exception to this is praising for form; I never do this as it invariably leads to the player having a stinker next match!

6 hours ago, FrazT said:

In game we are not talking about every week-even if it was every week, employees might be indifferent to regular praise, might say nothing, but IMO would never talk back to their boss in that tone.  In my view the praising player module needs some work.

I don’t disagree with that. I would have thought that the status of the player should be taken into consideration when generating a player reaction ... the manager would, perhaps, tolerate a critical or questioning response from a senior veteran player but too often we see examples of stroppy youth players ... all of whom should be must more respectful of the manager. 

Revamp or scrap the Dynamics and the asinine Press Conferences questions altogether!

Talking to players or answering the same stupid questions in a PC, and then hoping it doesn't get a negative reaction from a player is like walking through a mine field.  

I criticize a player at HT for his performance and many times his reaction is "delighted". I guess this means he likes the attention. :seagull: People have said it before: the game has become "Morale Manager".