[FM20] - The final career of Fola

Fola

After my disaster at Norwich where I got sacked after 25 games, I have decided to have a go at one more career updates- this will definitely be my last one of FM20. I have decided to manage in the Premier League again and the team I have chosen to manage are Brighton Hove Albion. 

ALBION FANS WANTED FOR SOCCER AM | Brighton & hove albion, Albion ...

• I have got the first transfer window turned off
  • I will not handle ANY transfer or contracts (incomings or outgoings), that will all be done to my new Director Of Football
  • If I get sacked, I will never play FM20 again. Pressure is on
  • I will be doing game by game updates

0nv33L0.png

My new director of football. Has strong knowledge of Portugal and Serbia so will be interesting to see if I see a few Portuguese and Serbian's rock up at the Amex.

In my Norwich save, I didn't do any work on tactics, I mainly focused on how to stop the opposition. For this save, I have created a tactic that I will be looking to implement. I have done quite a lot of research on football tactics recently and I have come up with the following formation which I will be looking to implement. This is loosely based on the Zona Mista formation, regularly used in the seventies, most notably by Trappatoni. 

iW46pBK.png 

Never used a formation with a LIBERO before so will be interesting to see how that works out.

hl3yZoH.png

This is the squad I have at my disposal until January. We have some very good players in this squad, in all of the positions. Matt Ryan is a very good GK, Lewis Dunk is quality, Aaron Mooy and Neal Maupay are two other noticeable stars for me.

Lets see how this goes...

10th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 1

I1UsvM6.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Dunk, Webster, Duffy; March*, Mooy; Jahanbakhsh**, Gross, Propper*; Mac Allister; Maupay.
Subs: Button, Bernado*, Burn, Schelotto**, Stephens***, Trossard, Murray

Well, that was a disaster and definitely not how I wanted this career to start, especially against our bitter rivals. Using the above tactic, we went with Dunk, Webster and Duffy as the back three with March as the left wing back. Mooy played as Regista with Gross and Propper playing slightly forward. Jahanbakhsh played as the right defensive winger with Mac Allister playing off Maupay up top. We started really well and went ahead early. We then won a penalty which Maupay missed before Palace scored two goals in the last minute. Cannot believe it.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: Wilfried Zaha rescues ...

Brighton MOTM: Alireza Jahanbakhsh (8.3)
League Position: 11th
Next Opponent: Liverpool (H)

Edited by Fola

17th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 2

lnbnqaz.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Dunk, Webster*, Duffy; March, Mooy; Jahanbakhsh**, Gross, Propper; Mac Allister; Maupay.
Subs: Button, Bernado, Burn*, Schelotto**, Stephens, Trossard, Murray

Liverpool are frustratingly good on this game. Couldn't handle them at all. Sheffield United up next, already a huge game for us.

Liverpool 4-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Shane Duffy (6.7)
League Position: 17th
Next Opponent: Sheffield United (H)

Edited by Fola

Great to see you are back Fola! :brock: Interesting challenge you have set out, especially leaving transfers to DOF. Tough start to the season :( 

Hopefully to see you on FM21?

Edited by john1

21st August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 3

vV8eKe8.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Dunk, Webster, Duffy; March, Mooy; Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Propper*; Mac Allister; Maupay.
Subs: Button, Bernado, Burn, Schelotto, Stephens*, Trossard, Murray

This could be a very quick career. We look solid and I am happy with how we are playing but we just aren't getting the results. Really nice to see Adam Webster push forward from his libero position and score for us. We need a win, or even just a point. We are bottle of the table already.

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Sheffield United: Oliver McBurnie ...

Brighton MOTM: Adam Webster (8.3)
League Position: 20th
Next Opponent: Tottenham (A)

Edited by Fola

24th August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 4

NrjD5wp.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Dunk, Webster, Duffy; March, Mooy; Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Stephens; Trossard; Maupay.
Subs: Button, Bernado, Burn, Schelotto, Montoya, Mac Allister, Murray

Sack me now.

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: Harry Kane and Dele ...#

Brighton MOTM: Adam Webster (6.2)
Next Opponent: Bristol City (A)

Edited by Fola

28th August 2019 - Carabao Cup - Second Round

bLTn9wc.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Dunk, Burn, Duffy; Bernado, Mooy; Jahanbakhsh, Gross, Stephens; Mac Allister; Maupay.
Subs: Button, Webster, March, Schelotto, Montoya, Trossard, Murray

Nothing to see here. Just us getting knocked out of the cup to ten man Bristol City. I will be changing my formation if I am still in a job for the Wolves game, it isn't working at all.

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Bristol City - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Matt Ryan (6.8)
Next Opponent: Wolves (A)

31st August 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 5

nEqpUNl.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Burn, Bernardo; Trossard, Mooy, Gross, Mac Allister; Murray, Maupay.
Subs: Button, Duffy, Webster, Schelotto, Stephens, March, Kayal

I changed the formation to 4-4-2 and we were actually better today until the sending off. It's the international break now, need the lads to regroup and hopefully keep in a job.

Wolves 0-0 Brighton: Hosts go fifth with dull draw - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Matt Ryan (6.6)
Next Opponent: Aston Villa (H)

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Sorry but reading this made me laugh so much. I hope you turn it around but I kinda want you to get sacked and then see you do a new career as Southampton this time lol.

Hahaha, I am glad you're enjoying! 

14th September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 6

vfxnKoW.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Schelotto*, Propper**, Bissouma***, March; Murray, Maupay.
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Mooy*, Stephens**, Gross, Trossard***

No words.

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Aston Villa: Jack Grealish earns Villa ...

Brighton MOTM: Glenn Murray (7.4)
Next Opponent: Manchester United (H)

9 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I don't usually like downloading tactics but considering FM20 tenure will be over if I'm sacked, f*ck it. I'll use it next game...

21st September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 7

tSFerWQ.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Stephens, Mooy, Bissouma; March, Trossard; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Kayal, Propper, Gross, Scheletto. 

First win of the season and what a win it was. Changed the formation to 4-1-2-2-1 and it worked wonders. Delighted to win and happy to still be in a job for now. 

Brighton 3-2 Man Utd: Brighton score three first-half goals to ...

Brighton MOTM: Neil Maupay (9.4)
League Position: 19th
Next Opponent: Watford (A)

28th September 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 8

ZtYhIH7.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Stephens, Mooy, Bissouma; March, Trossard; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Kayal, Propper, Gross, Scheletto. 

Ooooh yeah! Created my own version of Ronaldo Beckham's tactic and it's working a treat. Great win against a fellow relegation rival. We are playing much better football than the start of the season now which is pleasing to see.

Watford 0-3 Brighton: Neal Maupay scores on Seagulls debut - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Solly March (8.4)
League Position: 17th
Next Opponent: Arsenal (A)

11 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Really glad to see you have turned it around. Just remember to mention me when you win the title this season lol.

I actually didn't use your tactic so it's all me... 🤣! I did change the formation to the same formation as you though so I guess I can give you some credit there. Thanks for the comment mate.

1st October 2019

zejgll2.png

This is the tactic that I have changed to. We are now much more defensively solid and we have that attacking flair going forwards. With the higher defensive line, we make the pitch more compact which is a big difference to my previous tactic of sitting off the opposition. With the CD changed to BPD, we can retain the ball better and with the two FB's, they can offer support down the wings into the space left by the two IF's. Using the DLP, he makes us tick, collecting the ball from the BPD's. The CM offers us help in attack and also defensive while MZ gives us an attacking threat. As we have now moved to the pressing style, the PF helps put pressure onto the opposition defence. It has worked so far, I just hope it continues.

5th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 9

44Jzcj4.png

Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Kayal, Propper, Gross, Mac Allister. 

The sending off killed us. We went ahead against the run of play through Trossard but we were unable to hold on and Arsenal smashed us in the last half hour. We play West Ham next but there is the international break beforehand so this will give us time to regroup. We are in the relegation zone still but performances are looking more positive. I just hope the board give me the time I need.

Arsenal 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Neil Maupay (6.8)
League Position: 18th
Next Opponent: West Ham (A)

8th October 2019

hsX0PzB.png

My backroom staff have given this guy a new deal. He is currently on loan at Conference side Wrexham. Can't really see him breaking into the first team here but might get some money for him at some point.

YBp6J3o.png

19th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 10

dA1FQ5u.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo*; Propper, Mooy**, Bissouma***; March, Trossard; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn*, Stephens**, Gross***, Mac Allister, Murray

That was a sickener. We played really well and looked to have got the win but West Ham scored with the last kick of the ball. Delighted to Maupay find the net again, he's really hit a purple patch at the moment. We face Southampton next who are 2nd bottom. Massive game for both sides.

Brighton 1-1 West Ham: Leandro Trossard shines as Seagulls are ...

Brighton MOTM: Neal Maupay (8.4)
Next Opponent: Southampton (H)

26th October 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 11

b3v2Rww.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Propper, Mooy, Gross; March*, Trossard; Maupay**. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Stephens, Mac Allister, Jahanbakhsh*, Murray**

I don't know how we haven't won this one. We never looked troubled and should have won the game but we missed way too many chances. We face bottom side Newcastle next.

Brighton 0-1 Southampton: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg strike seals ...

Brighton MOTM: Adam Webster (6.8)
Next Opponent: Newcastle (A)

2nd November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 12

R0ZbkND.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Propper, Mooy, Gross*; March, Trossard; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Stephens*, Mac Allister, Jahanbakhsh, Murray

Not good enough. I don't know how we can beat Manchester United 3-0 and then lose to Newcastle convincingly. We have dropped to 19th now.

Newcastle United 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - BBC Sport

Brighton MOTM: Pascal Gross (7.4)
Next Opponent: Leicester (A)

9th November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 13

hmjpalp.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Schelotto, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Propper, Mooy, Gross; March, Mac Allister; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Stephens, Trossard, Jahanbakhsh, Murray

We just look completely bereft of any confidence. We got back into the game after going a goal down but through it away again in the second half after some poor defending. Norwich up next, we need to start winning.

Leicester City 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: Brendan Rodgers watches ...

Brighton MOTM: Aaron Mooy (7.2)
Next Opponent: Norwich (H)

Edited by Fola

23rd November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 14

Rwvv9tz.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Schelotto, Dunk, Webster, Bernardo; Propper, Mooy*, Bissouma; March, Jahanbakhsh**; Maupay***. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Burn, Stephens, Gross*, Mac Allister**, Murray***

We deserved to lose this one so we were very lucky to come away with a point. Don't think I will be in a job much longer unless a miracle happens.

Norwich City 0-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: Leandro Trossard hits ...

Brighton MOTM: Matt Ryan (7.1)
Next Opponent: Chelsea (A)

30th November 2019 - Premier League - Matchday 15

p5AfCrD.png

Starting XI: Ryan; Schelotto, Burn, Webster, Bernardo; Propper, Mooy, Bissouma; March, Mac Allister; Maupay. 
Subs: Button, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Gross, Montoya, Murray

Terrible. This team are spineless. None of them are good enough for this level.

Chelsea celebrate

Brighton MOTM: Matt Ryan (6.7)
Next Opponent: Everton (H)

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Sorry to hear that mate. 

What is next?

Would it not be worth retrying with Brighton and doing it different to how you done with this one or are you going to try a new team ?

Might start with another team. Third time lucky hey?