Corner bug!

Ok so, I’ve noticed a pattern. I’m going to preface this by saying that i’m a new player, so it’s possible that this “glitch” i’m trying to report is totally not one and I’m just not doing Things right. 

I started a save about a month ago with Shalke04. The results I got through the seasons aren’t relevant to this complaint so I’ll just keep them to myself, but there’s one thing which has really annoyed me these days: it looks as if the only way the AI has to break my defense solidity is scoring corners.

It’ll happen always that you’re managing a big team, you’ve built a great tactic, you’re morale is all the way up and you seem invincible! You go on these LOOOONG win records, you concede little and you score a ton...and then, completely out of the blue, you face a newly promoted side with the best team in the league and you lose! They score a goal early (as early as the FIRST minute sometimes, keep in mind against your unbreakable back line) and then their goal keeper shuts you down for the whole game. 

It’s delusional, especially when you try your best to sort everything out to try and beat the game, that just pushes you down further and further! As you can see in the title, the thing I’m mostly frustrated about is the corners...oh man. I’ll concede 20 goals in a 38 game season, and 15 is just corners, it just doesn’t add up! Do you have any advice? I get stuck very often and I’m started to lose quickly interest in the game...

• SI Staff

Set Pieces (and corners) are an area where even the best teams sometimes come a cropper in real-life, with regards to corners specifically ... make sure that your goalkeeper and defenders are as good as possible, a high communication stat for the keeper will help with him organising the defense (which makes them more likely to pick up players in the box and cover well from set-pieces), high decisions will help them cover runs etc. 

It is (sadly) impossible to guarantee a clean sheet in all matches, as in real-life even the best teams will concede sometimes - either down to bad luck or a great piece of play from the opposition. Set-pieces especially allow these and when a team do their set-piece perfectly it might be damn near impossible to stop at times, for example Dan Burn at Brighton is 6'7'' if a corner is aimed at him and reaches him perfectly then there isn't really a way to stop the header attempt ... fortunately for the Premiership opposition Mr. Burn isn't particularly effective at directing his headers ... so he's not a prolific scorer (9 in 268 appearances) ... but ... hopefully you understand my meaning ;):D

PS - If you concede just 20 goals in a season then that is pretty damn good imho, I wish my current team had that tight a defense :)

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, Footix said:

For future versions I'd love to have some sort of input on set pieces other than assigning the taker. I hate conceding from corners because it feels so totally out of my control. 

We may do that one day ... no promises though .... these things take time to get right :)