Which off-the-ball PPM for newgen striker?

El-Maestro

I found this guy Knudsen as a free newgen at the start of my save. It's the 3rd tier of Faroe Islands, so this guy is pure class! He has scored 21 goals in 20 league games as PF(A) partnered by a PF(S) in an attacking 442. The trick is that I have a couple of higher rated newgen strikers in terms of PA, as well as experienced strikers - but neither of them perform close to Knudsen! Another trick is that my 4 or 5 star rated strikers get signed by bigger clubs all the time. Like it's often the case in FM, Knudsen'S CA/PA will never tell the whole story of what he brings to my team. Despite his below-average finishing, I learned him to place shots because he has very good technique and composure and since then he is indeed unstoppable, converting all chances into the bottom corner! His mental stats suggest he truly has a nose for goal. Yesterday I signed a 39 year old useless player who is highly influential and a model citizen just to mentor Knundsen.

Now I want him to learn some off-the-ball PPM. Should I learn him 1) to beat offside trap, 2) move into channels, or 3) gets into opposition area? In my setup he basically acts like a P/AF with high workrate when out of possession. He just happens to find any small crease that the defense gives him. He beats his man when crosses come in, and generally reacts first when a ball bounces around in the penalty area.

1) I only have experience with lightning fast strikers beating offside trap. I'm afraid Knudsen would be in offside too much, especially once we gain promotion and face better defenders. Depending on the year and version of FM, beating offside trap was either a cheat code or a nightmare. Right now Knudsen makes perfectly timed runs all the time, so I'm afraid he could be offside too much after learning the PPM. Though with his great off the ball, anticipation and decisions, it could pay off. What do you think?

2) I'm not sure about moves into channels. As PF(A) he has that instruction anyway and I'm sure he is very good at finding creases in the channels. However, first and foremost I want him in the box at the end of crosses and through balls.

3) Or vice versa, should I learn him to get into opposition area to be in scoring position all the time? I'm not familiar with this PPM on a striker, but it sounds good in theory. Maybe even better suited than beating offside trap for a highly mental player like Knudsen that lacks blistering pace?

Thanks in advance for your help!

knudsen.jpg

On 27/08/2020 at 09:38, El-Maestro said:

He just happens to find any small crease that the defense gives him. He beats his man when crosses come in, and generally reacts first when a ball bounces around in the penalty area.

Honestly I wouldn't give him any of those. If he is already playing how you want him to (and judging by the quoted bit he is) I wouldn't want to risk that. I see no need to give him any of those PPMs, which will make him behave differently. It could end up being better, but if he is already performing, why chance it?

His off the ball, bravery, teamwork, anticipation, decisions and work rate are all good for that level and I'd just let him do his thing based on those.

Edited by onionbag