Total Football: Part 1- Applying Rinus Michels to FM

Total Football: Part 1

After reading a few articles about football styles that changed the game, I decided I wanted to create a Total Football tactic and use it playing with Ajax.  My first choice was do I go with Rinus Michels 433 (1333) of the 70s, Johan Cruyff's 343 of the 80s or the modern 4231 of Erik ten Hag.

I liked the approach Bust the net took in his video 'Marcelo Bielsa Applying it to FM' where he looked at the tactics principles to understand why the tactic was used in the first place.

I decided that I would start with the 433 and establish some principles that I wanted to achieve in the game. After some research this is what I came up with.

Principles

• A fluid 433 with the possibility of any player advancing.

• Positional Switching, particularly amongst the wide players.

• A roaming forward who can come deep to form a diamond.

• High pressing line to keep opponents in their half.

• Winning the ball in the opponents half.

• Offside trap to reduce the playable area.

Possible Weaknesses

• High Defensive Line could leave them vulnerable to counter attacks.

• Requires players to have certain attributes.

FM Limitations

The first problem I ran into was the 1-3 defensive shape, without a sweeper I can't achieve this so I stuck with a back 4. 

The Tactic

Out of Possession

When I create a tactic I always start with Out of Possession. As I already know exactly how to achieve these principles listed, it's a good place to start. I went with a Higher Defensive Line, a Higher Line of Engagement and Use Offside Trap. I felt that a much higher defensive line would be unnecessary and too risky, and the offside trap will help to push the team up in the press. I don't mess with pressing intensity slider, having more or extremely urgent pressing intensity leads to players being pulled out of position. I'm using a positive mentality so this will set the default pressing intensity as Slightly More Urgent and this is fine combined with the use of PIs. I will ask my wingers to close down more, creating a split block. I will also use pressing OIs on the opposition defenders.

4x1Clwh5i9mKhDUdyIxqt4Ca_lIVrZwNneJ-Y2toHQs5QeB5lUPpOWJKVgb5BdxLcVshQDWVKWACDDqDoxT_EvYrTmZ4NWQQCWJ6_MCg_3k29-vqm40gsA3oJvmAOLdhlNiYZCG59oqQO8G0Y4QfFPTAiyW-3ZM4zVjRiqnP0Uftl2IOMOOrM0tPFJqkAYe03SwdwKXRhO2qdX27W8SZekOBeEXm8GvsC6DuQ514mI4PTq7VTsyQsDe9fgwbI0MQcniVjS0f2cXmZML8

This setup will now allow me to keep opponents in their half, win the ball and reduce the oppositions playable area like I wanted.

In Transition

To continue on from out of possession, I also wanted the players to immediately press if they lose the ball so obviously I am going with Counter Press. 

I left the 'when possession has been won' instruction blank, I felt the counter caused my team to rush forward too much (still get counters without it) and hold shape combined with my tempo was a too slow build up. Neither works for me on this occasion.

If asked the GK to Distribute to Centre-Backs so that the CBs drop deeper which can allow the DM to also come deep to receive the ball from the GK in the start of the build up.

Q8pfioDXb5ZXWKbV3iaB6rIsjDBefvwayu7WA70G3EdoybeLwZXaOid3ErmBz9yTXm4KSZT_TihJM_5arg7z8r8g_oMbvcpfT3aVsUvYszPSWTVvrz2ieNjxgfBaxtRXSaZFLAy0

In Possession

I heard Cruyff say in an interview that the best way you can help him is by moving away from him, as he liked to go 1v1 against defenders, this is something Ajax have liked to do over the years. I initially had the attacking width on fairly wide but have found using Wide allowed the team to find more space to receive the ball and pull the defenders wider. This also allows them to be able to go 1v1 against opponents whilst team mates move into space and offer passing options.

Ajax built up play from the back so Play Out Of Defence is a natural choice and will combine well with the Distribute to Centre-Backs.

I am using Inverted wing backs, as well as cutting inside during the build up phase. I also wanted the option of them to move out wide in the final third as the winger moves inside, giving me my positional switching in the wide areas. To encourage the positional switching I have also chosen Be More Expressive.

I wanted the players to take their time in the build up and find the correct pass so I went with a Lower Tempo. At first I used short passing, it works okay with the right players but at times it can be difficult to progress up the pitch. More direct Passing combined with the lower tempo and width works very nicely, the sort passes still happen but now they do better at finding the players in space.  I also want cut backs so I am using Low Crosses.

hPY5Pj_El6P2bi3fV_EXYHPbTKnOsgX2YRgfq3W5qShjiahN43ZjFZStLvpuwnIHYdskp7T_OadZjkSD5Dm0wRM1idU8UaIbbUpWI2rP5sPx8gw70zB_WAQlP1bV3HinpXeHfAFe

Team Shape & Player Roles

LjYeeQq2xOQMiObJxkGkZx-F6VEovJn1DgrhwDUjnVsdMIbK6PxnkjOJ0NYgB6R8al4kH29OBDJGHULRyaEIVA7EflxjxuZEl7xuI6JNLq2b-6cBge_m0Ykyqjycc_PDAiqMWsve

As you can see I have gone for a 4141 (433).

Roles (no instructions unless stated otherwise)

Sweeper Keeper (Support)

Inverted Wing Back (Support)

Ball Playing Defender (Defend)

Ball Playing Defender (Defend)

Inverted Wing Back (Support)

Deep Playing Playmaker (Support)

zCmgJzYUJTS4kAv4x7L2X_bsCfbTMZEiVhp7ZmHdEOVKJJI7ZSrPhuTPbCoZyXEgPmhLOY-EiZGRmXPc79AJ-muQ_M8kcCdBI9abyEZlNtsY3U0DIWSVkr1U_NYTEljLbaIivYi_

With this setup and instructions the Inverted Wing Backs will sit in the half space giving you a W shape. 

This allows for a good amount of passing options in the build up play.

Mezzala (Support)

Advanced Playmaker (Support) More Direct Passes Traits advisable, Killer Balls etc 

Winger (Support) Close Down More Should also have trait Cuts Inside

Winger (Support) Close Down More Should also have trait Cuts Inside

Trequartista (Attack)

LsHVR6QnFkZU7JWoCFHuJqzsuLPgIBHu2Ltc71nVhbYFxPl4Cu9Ap1awnpnwUs_1RAPIMKPb7clrORO38lPoxSKXXxBj3XU8iFBq1PCx6MTMv9JXWzotXV-8tCvMz_E6ytZf2gau

With this setup the Inverted Wing Backs or Midfielders can

combine with the Trequartista to form a diamond in the build up.

This is my first thread, so if I have missed anything let me know or if you have any suggestions please comment. I am happy with the tactic, currently in season 5 with Ajax, first 4 seasons I won everything domestically as expected with two invincible Seasons. Season 2 I conceded 2 goals in the league. CL semi season 1, Lost Final on pens season 2, Won CL season 3 & 4. I have also won a good amount of games playing against other players online.

After creating my tactic I sent it over to Bust the Net for his show Bring Your Tactics, he pointed out a few things he noticed shouldn't be happening or could be improved. I was originally using Inside forwards, their higher mentality meant they rushed off instead of building up play. Also I was using an F9 with roaming PI instead of Trequartista, which didn't form the diamond like I wanted. He recommended a few roles changes, a couple instructions and it started to look a lot better.

Ewv2MtwzUgEE_WAJjoOXPSddtDwOwzr61NR4TZAHLjX0KBSuZDOkKs49zJdv3ZfkGWrFsVsq6LLSDAZoy5ywNk4sSnD1BTy7WgMRro-OKTtEgLXElhDYtIqlceGL31nJmMMzByvG

0 Losses 2 Goals Conceded

If done a Cruyff 343 as well so will do a follow up soon. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Total Football 433.fmf

Edited by JarheadFM

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the tactic with Sporting lisbon.  I haven't lost in 20 matches.  I had a goalless draw in only 3 games.  I had full rotation in 1 game.  Looks nice.  But my striker scores less goals.  Is that the same for you?  Do you have any suggestions for the striker to contribute more?  Thanks for the tactic

On 14/09/2020 at 20:11, neptune'sblue said:

I tried the tactic with Sporting lisbon.  I haven't lost in 20 matches.  I had a goalless draw in only 3 games.  I had full rotation in 1 game.  Looks nice.  But my striker scores less goals.  Is that the same for you?  Do you have any suggestions for the striker to contribute more?  Thanks for the tactic

Glad your enjoying it, I did the first season or so, didn't really have a good Treq. I used Huntelaar as a Poacher sometimes and seemed score a lot. Got Zirkzee season 3 and Scored 27 then 29 the next but then some of my back ups dont perform so well.

Edited by JarheadFM

6 hours ago, neptune'sblue said:

Thank you for your reply.  I'll try a few roles.  Complete forward support is my first priority.

I would try it out, CF support and Treq both Roam and move into channels so it will work. I would prob add close down more. The only reason I didn't with the Treq because you cant, but still presses because of TI's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting read @JarheadFM. I have a couple of questions;

1. Have you tried going "Attacking" (mentality) or will that bring too much risk getting caught on the counter?
  2. How are the possession numbers?
  3. Do you prefer wingers because of width instead of inverted wingers or inside forward? Would wingbacks + inverted wingers/inside forwards work as well?
  4. On the inverted wingbacks, do you use right footed on the left wingback and left footed on the right wingback?

@Continum

1. Yes I have, it can work. I think of mentality as just risk they take. You might find the players will run off on there own more, not really what I wanted.

2. Usually 60-70% but do have games where struggle to keep the ball

3. Wingers and Inverted Wingers on support have same mentality and are more creative. Inside forward has a higher individual mentality and will run off on his own and lose the ball constantly.

Then the Inverted Winger occupies same space as a mezzala and don't really work with inverted wing back. So wing back and inverted wing back combo could work but not with a mezzala. 

Mezzala and inverted wing back is a good combo.

But that's just for this type of total football, Peps tactics could be considered as Total football but he uses at least one IF. Try it out but just consider the higher mentality of the role. I did start with IFs but found wingers with cuts inside trait works best.

4. I use right footed on right side etc, they still go wide and cross. Got overlaps so encourages him to go wide.

8 minutes ago, JarheadFM said:

Try it out but just consider the higher mentality of the role. I did start with IFs but found wingers with cuts inside trait works best.

I use an inside forward in my tactic, but I use the overlap to reduce the mentality of the inside forward and increase the wing back's mentality. This way they both become 'Attacking' instead of 'Positive' and 'Very Attacking (attacking team mentality as well).

7 minutes ago, JarheadFM said:

Then the Inverted Winger occupies same space as a mezzala

Same for the inside forward I guess? I use a mezzala on the side where I got the inside forward and it seems to work OK. Judging from the average positions they don't occupy the same space.

How are your shots on target ratio? I find my team getting a lot of shots blocked. Not sure if I should try to increase the width to get more space or if it is just the ability of the shooter.

@Continumyeah I would do the same if use an IF support. I just wanted the positive for this particular tactic. 

Inside Forward and mezzala work well together to create overloads, same as winger and mezzala just winger has the lower mentality. Both options work well, IWB works with either option.

Pretty good, my striker and left winger score he most goals. I like the width for that reason, a lot of playmakers so ball will still go through midfield. But they'll stretch the defence with width, gets bit congested otherwise.

In season 6, prob 2 seasons until settled. If used a regista in Dm, RPM instead of Ap. All work fine. Mostly just stick to this and 2 other tactics without changing anything now

• 3 weeks later...