Championship stars above club shields

scythian12

This is a minor thing; In some countries, clubs get to carry stars above their emblem on the shirt and elsewhere for raking up championship wins. Ususally it is one star for 10 championships, but slightly different in Germany for instance. It would be a nice thing to have this dynamically change in the game. (And it would not be a major undertaking to exclude the stars in external logo packs...)

I think that would be a good idea at least for the club in countries that do add stars to their badges, don't feel it would work for the likes of Liverpool, City, etc where stars are not added after champions league titles but for Mexican teams and alike certainly.

It could detect in the png file where is the edge of the transparency, and place them above it accordingly. You can easily write an algorithm which can evenly divide the width of the logo and then find an appropriate point in each segment where pixels reach a certain transparency threshold and position the stars accordingly. 

In a bit more elaborate way, you could try to create two basic placement strategies: one which places them in a circular manner if the logo is closer to a circle (or its top edge can be better fitted with a circular line - even with one whose imaginary centre is way below the logo edge) and one where they are just arranged in/over a horizontal line above the shield if the circular approximation is too off. Do you know any example which would not fit nicely with either approach? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Maybe concave geometries might be trickier.

PS come to think of it the straight and curved lines are not that different at all, the straight positioning would mean that you fit them to a "curve" with an infinite radius. But I feel each logo top can be fitted with a curve and then that geometry used to help position the stars. One perhaps slightly trickier question is what to do above ~ 5 starts - do you start to cram them in or staple new ones on top along a new line?

Edited by scythian12
New clarifying thoughts.

It is a feature that is independent of the logo, it is above it and not incorporated within it. And changes dynamically in real life as well. I am pretty sure no club can license graphic features for future successes... It could even feature above the generic logos im FM.

• 2 weeks later...