Let's talk about the difference between a roaming playmaker and an advanced playmaker

Based on the description ingame, the roaming playmaker seems to be the more dynamic of the two also he is positioned slightly further up the pitch. However, I still could not see much difference ingame. Let's say I want a playmaker further up the pitch who is constantly drifting wide to help/support the IFs and full backs, offering them a passing option. Who would suit better for this role? A roaming playmaker (with or without move into channels) or an adv. playmaker (support)?

Also what about good combinations? When using a mez(a) and a half back in a midfield three, who of the two playmaker roles would provide more balance and more passing options for the half back?

The roaming playmaker runs and keeps up with play better. If you have a possession based, shorter passing system, the RP will keep up with play well. I like him in narrower systems, with players who have the PI plays one twos around him.

The AP is great for unlocking defenses with through balls and for trying to find a gap in the defense to place himself to get a pass, then create for someone else. 

A dlp sits back and is good for switching play and cross field balls, along with other intermediate stuff.