How do a player become a team leader?

I'm in my 7th season with Liverpool, and I'm getting worried as my team leaders would soon be retiring. During my first season, my team leaders are Henderson, Van Dijk and Salah, and some time along the way Salah's influences waned and Alisson's increased instead. I didn't noticed when it happened. I made Trent captain now because Henderson rarely plays, but he's still not considered as team leader by the game, despite having higher leadership than Alisson, and he's also one of the best players in the team average rating-wise. His weak influence is very obvious as he is unable to solve most of the players' concern; I had to turn to the team leaders. Is there anything I can do to influence it or does the game automatically make someone new as team leader once any of the three team leaders retire/leave the club?

I don't know why you are worried about that. When your team leaders retire someone else will be cosidered as a team leader. Captaincy influences the hierarchy but it's not the only thing. Playing time and time at the club are factors also. What social group player belongs to probably matters too.

3 hours ago, Sluglips said:

And for some bizarre reason, the 'Leadership' attribute has nothing to do with being a team leader :idiot:

isn't it a different thing though, like Paul Gascoigne would have been high up on the hierarchy later in his career but would have a low leadership attribute 

6 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

isn't it a different thing though, like Paul Gascoigne would have been high up on the hierarchy later in his career but would have a low leadership attribute 

I get what you're saying, but what's the point of having a leadership stat that doesn't reflect whether or not a player is a team leader? 

Edited by Sluglips

7 minutes ago, Sluglips said:

I get what you're saying, but what's the point of having a leadership stat that doesn't reflect whether or not a player is a team leader? 

I kind of see the pyramid as more of a popularity/influence thing

Edited by Brother Ben

It is I guess, but I have a problem with the term, 'Team Leader'. 

For me thats someone who has good leadership skills, professional, able to lead by example and from the front. Hence the 'Leadership' attribute.

Gazza was popular but not a team leader.