Help me close out games!

I have been playing with a pretty standard gegenpress from the tactic creator (with a couple of tweaks).  Generally, it works well and I go ahead.  But, far too often I find myself dropping points late.  I would like to develop a tactic that can still attack but that will provide me with some stability to hold the ball and prevent counter attacks so that I can turn leads into wins and keep draws (where I may want draws) as draws.  Ideally, it would be something that would serve me well in matches against clubs where I'm the underdog but where I don't want to go full counter or bunker.

This is what I've come up with, but I would appreciate the community's collective wisdom on it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 6.59.16 PM.png

Personally, I think there are a few things wrong with the tactic given what you've said.

If you are looking to soak up pressure and then attack, having a DLP and BPD is a good idea however you've got lower tempo selected so when you win the ball back your players would take time to build attack and adding to that if they manage to get the ball to the IW he would attack the post alone and most likely loose the ball so I'd go for a DLP on attack so you've got at least 2 players making the run and supporting each other. Finally, I'll take off work ball into box because that slows your attack too.

In terms of defending, when I play with a Lower line of engagement, I have the split block or I increase the pressing intensity by one notch and select get stuck in so I don't allow the opposition to play around too much in front of my defense and maybe taking a long shot

16 minutes ago, Toronto Blizzard said:

Ideally, it would be something that would serve me well in matches against clubs where I'm the underdog but where I don't want to go full counter or bunker

Okay, I'll tell you what tweaks I would make to your tactic from the screenshot you posted:

- remove the Work ball into box

- remove both lower tempo and shorter passing (leave them on default, i.e. standard)

- change the AML from IW on attack into winger on support

- change the BBM into BWM on support (or carrilero)

- change the CM on support into CM on attack

- change the DLF on support into DLF on attack

I don't know if you will need to do a couple more tweaks, because that's something only you yourself can find out by carefully watching what happens on the pitch during a particular match. But those listed above are ones I would certainly recommend based on my experience.