AMC broken position?

Is it just me or does anyone else find this an ineffectual position? regardless of the player i pick, regardless of how "green" they are at that position, regardless of their "role" in that position, regardless of their personal instructions in that role, regardless of the team instructions or tactics, ive tried every combination of the aforementioned as well as fast/counter tactics, possession-based tactics but no matter what i do i always have that player just having poor to mediocre games and barely getting involved 6.8 being about as good as it normally gets

I must admit I've not had huge success with players in the AMC position. The players I use there will have one or two good games, or they will have match moments where they shine, but generally I have never gotten the best.

Shadow Striker is the one position I've most struggled to get firing.

In FM20 I have had most success with CMs given the attack mentality. In a past save they got forward well and scored a lot.

It's not broken, just very hard to get effective performances from, it was the same last year

You have to make sure the attributes required are spot on, if they lack in one I find they underperform

PPI's are very important too, depending on what role you want there, things like "plays killer balls" "plays one twos" " runs on the ball" "runs with ball through centre" I find very helpful 

@anagain I trialled the Shadow Striker in FM19 & 20, the best I got out of them was when they were the only attack duty in the team with a single or duel wingers & a DLF 

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's not broken, just very hard to get effective performances from, it was the same last year

You have to make sure the attributes required are spot on, if they lack in one I find they underperform

PPI's are very important too, depending on what role you want there, things like "plays killer balls" "plays one twos" " runs on the ball" "runs with ball through centre" I find very helpful 

@anagain I trialled the Shadow Striker in FM19 & 20, the best I got out of them was when they were the only attack duty in the team with a single or duel wingers & a DLF 

Yeah i think 18 was the last time i had good success with a 4231 wide and got good performances from amc i remember getting 10+ on both goals and assists per season sometimes double that if you had a good team like dortmund or barcelona

You're right @Jorge666, they were way more effective in past FM's.

In the last couple of FMs, you can have yourself a decent enough striker & he'll score goals, decent enough wide men & they score & assist, with the AMC position if you just have any old Joe in there, they'll be a passenger in most games 

I think it's ME related tbh, I went back to FM 15 & 17 for a bit & had no problem with the AMC 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

@anagainI trialled the Shadow Striker in FM19 & 20, the best I got out of them was when they were the only attack duty in the team with a single or duel wingers & a DLF 

Hmm. I have natural F9s and natural SSs in my current squad. I've tried them together in a 4231 but found goals hard to come by.

I do play IFs with that, and on attack duty. Maybe I will consider dropping my wide players to support and see if things improve. 

I started to play my wide players much more narrow because crossing was so infuriating. My hope was just to have the IFs cut in and support the SS/F9 combination. I wonder if they were competing too much for space.

Food for thought though. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, anagain said:

Hmm. I have natural F9s and natural SSs in my current squad. I've tried them together in a 4231 but found goals hard to come by.

I do play IFs with that, and on attack duty. Maybe I will consider dropping my wide players to support and see if things improve. 

I started to play my wide players much more narrow because crossing was so infuriating. My hope was just to have the IFs cut in and support the SS/F9 combination. I wonder if they were competing too much for space.

Food for thought though. Thanks. 

I think you're safe with one IF but two's a bit much, F9 should work just fine. Have a look for ED's 4-2-3-1 thread from 2018, I did a bit of SS testing in there, I'll dig it up in a sec  

This is the guy I have right now in a save in L1, we're totally skint so he's only on loan but he's doing alright, though in the last game against a 4-4-2 he pulled a 6.5 

GA.thumb.png.e0fe07b86bb6d4645ac190a41361298d.png

Part of this effect is attributable to how narrow teams defend in FM20. Pause the match on any of your patient buildups, and you'll see the back line of most of your opponents will be packing the middle of the pitch. The most common open space will be the flanks, and most of the play gets funneled there eventually. Whether or not this accurately reflects real life is debatable. Nevertheless, if you position an AMC in the middle and expect him to operate as some sort of playmaker then you will find he doesn't get much opportunity to do so without coming deep to get the ball (essentially playing as an MC). If you instead place that same player on the flank (ex. giving an AMR positioned player an AP(s) role) then you will see him have many more touches and opportunities to deliver key passes or create chances. When they sit in the middle, your team is more likely to pass the ball elsewhere.

Situations where AMCs play well in FM20:

1. Using two AMCs in a narrow 4-3-2-1 formation.
  2. Using the AMC as your set piece taker so that they carry the good form boost from set piece assists into their open play.
  3. Having an AMC drop deep to get on the ball, usually because he has that player preferred move.
  4. Having an AMC play from out wide, though this is better accomplished using them in the AMR/AML spots.
  5. The pressing provided by an AMC can be really helpful in an aggressive system.

Yes, it's because the ME default setting for the defending is far too narrow and most of the play goes through the flanks. Your AMC will just be floating around but will not get into the game at all unless he has some specific player traits like 'drop deep' to get the ball. You can actually see in YouTube some of the famous ones who play FM just how bad the current ME is in replicating a playmaker in the middle and how plays get funneled to the flank all the time.

I'm not even sure it's broken so much as those players are suffering a bit in real football. Few actually play with a 'pure 10' any more. If anything I think the game needs some role adjustments - the free-roaming enganche and trequartista maybe more willing to move out to either flank, and a new "false 10" role with a propensity to drop deep to receive the ball in possession while sitting further up as an outlet for counters out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm keen to see what the AMC role's like in FM21, I find it pretty frustrating to watch in FM20

Just playing a friendly & I'm 9-0 up, so the opposition are pretty poor, just keeping my eye of the front four

The IF(S) has scored 5, the striker 2, the W(S) 1 & the AM(S) has one, a penalty & an assist because he's the corner taker

He's not the best, there are some fantastic AMC's in this save but I'm not paying £100 million plus for one because I don't have that sort of cash 

There are two things that frustrate me watching him:

1) The amount of times I see him ignored in play. The oppo are playing a flat 4-4-1-1 so at times he finds himself with a fair amount of space & the CM will play a Hollywood pass out wide instead of picking him out

2) When he does get the ball to feet in space he'll do nothing with the ball. He can have his back to goal, he'll do a little pivot, then pass it to the closest player or he'll pick it up, take a look at what's ahead of him & pass it out wide

It's only ever when we're on the counter he'll pull something worthy off, he scored the GOTS runner up last season by starting & finishing off a counter attack. In our game earlier he picked up the ball, dribbled it 30 yards & squared it to the striker for a tap in on the counter

Other roles play out as you'd expect, I just hope it's had a bit of attention for FM21 

Interesting. I don't have a problem with that. In my current season I've played 14 games in the league so far and used two players in AMC position.

The first one has scored 7 goals and his average rating is 2nd in the league. The other player has scored 2, but only because he's missed 7 clear cut chances (he's young and his lower composure probably keeps him back), but I haven't had problems with them scoring goals or giving assists.