Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Pav_Makarov:

Early or late SI would have to do it, or twitter mob will get to them. It takes just one maniacal attention lover with a well-followed account to create a stir. It would be more safe to play nice and add a dozen of women leagues just for the sake of having them

Nobody is going to play them, just as nobody watches them, but hey several more unactivated leagues in your save, just let them be

Will not happen. No one (a bit harsh) cares for woman football.

And so no one wanna play it at a management game except a few.

Edited by KiLLu12258

I feel like we need an ME changelist between FM 20 and 21, which is definitely unlikely. 

Are there still going to be issues with possession football, where a team parking a planet ends up with 672 passes between them, of which 470 or so are between the defenders and goalkeeper. 

Among many other things. I don't want to buy a game just to find out the same problems are there. 

Don't know how that doesn't seem ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Among many other things. I don't want to buy a game just to find out the same problems are there. 

Don't know how that doesn't seem ridiculous. 

Thankfully you'll have Demo that you can play for 6 months and replay infinite times to try infinite amount of tactics to see for yourself. Also, would it hurt to adapt to other teams?

1 hour ago, russell9 said:

Yes player animation is so bland and generic we can't see any differences between a sunday league player and Messi.
It was better in the old FM. How could it deteriorated into such state it's so sad.
I feel like the guy who lead FM development and direction is now like a manager who has lost his passion and mojo.

Its true how such a complex game could have neglected this important sector of football, look at Saint-Maximin 👀

Dybala isnt that fast but he dribble well Verratti same he isnt a fast player , Thiago same he has great skills

Edited by destmez

15 hours ago, forameuss said:

Except there is, at least to some degree.  Go back to FM12 to see what actually not having collision detection would do to the game.

God, do you remember FM09? You could get the fastest player to score loads by just running through defences

2 hours ago, rosque said:

Thankfully you'll have Demo that you can play for 6 months and replay infinite times to try infinite amount of tactics to see for yourself. Also, would it hurt to adapt to other teams?

The demo and the full release usually have very different ME properties, first of all. 

Second of all, no team should be passing along their defensive line without intention to score, especially against a press and when they're a substantially weaker team. It is vastly illogical. 

3 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

The demo and the full release usually have very different ME properties, first of all. 

Second of all, no team should be passing along their defensive line without intention to score, especially against a press and when they're a substantially weaker team. It is vastly illogical. 

The demo gets updated to the latest version. I've mentioned this to you before. 

6 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

It's there so you can make a decision for yourself for free. And much better than half-assed preparation in some friendlies in the two hours you'd play before potentially returning the game. And as @themadsheep2001 mentioned, it gets updated to latest version.

With how many players are you pressing their defensive line? Do you have a lone striker pressing their DM and 2 CB, for example? You cannot say 'they pass and I press but not winning the ball' and not provide tactics/OI, formations, player attributes. I do agree that that takes more effort than should but there was only one game in my current save where I could not have most of the possession in the game and that was due to me being lazy cos I scored 2 easy goals early on and had to do something around the house and just let the game play out. Ended up with 25 shots, 30% of possession. Are you pressuring their players with low Anticipation, Decisions, Technique or just pressuring everyone willy-nilly?

Edited by rosque

3 ore fa, Juego de Posicion ha scritto:

I am becoming increasingly worried and disturbed that there will be no new tactical features in FM21.

Will the game AI version of Guardiola’s Man City play like they do in real life on FM21?

Will the game AI version of Bielsa’s Leeds play like they do in real life in FM21?

Will the game AI version of Gasperini’s Atalanta play like they do in real life in FM21?

So many unanswered questions and huge concerns about how realistic and how replicable real life tactics will be in FM21.

did they ever play like their real counterparts in any previous iteration of the game? No? So, why would you expect that now and not the last year?

10 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Personally, I think the developers made a rod for their own back when they introduced language like Gegenpress and Tiki-Taka into the core of the tactical creator. These are very distinctive play styles originating from highly influential and admired coaches. I can completely understand why fans of the sport would want to replicate their ideas in a simulation. The problem is, if you're going to go with these labels, the ME better be able to pull it off. Sadly (again, a personal opinion) the football shown to us on match days has failed spectacularly to accomplish this.

I remember expectations were running wild on here, with exclamations like "I wanna Gegen like Klopp".

Oh, mate....   

They put them in because people were asking for templates, even though previously they went to pains to point out that these are approximate templates, and managers evolve. don't think it's really SI making a rod here tbh, particularly if you say one thing, and people decide it's something else, you can't control that. You can make some pretty good approximations of various styles tbh. 

55 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I've never understood the hysteria around the match engine not truly replicating real life.  Like, I get that's obviously the aim, but are people really expecting this match engine - or any that a developer produces - to do so?  Seems like just building yourself up for disappointment with unattainable goals.  It's always going to be an approximation at best.  And that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Tricks and Skills are unattainable goals ?

18 hours ago, srvngrc said:

Way way better than FM's graphics. Who knows maybe it has better ME and AI :)

Interesting reading the reviews of that game.

A lot of people saying the only transfers that happen are domestic, and a couple of folk saw Ederson leave Man City for Liverpool in the first season. Most also suffered a cup shock defeat in the first season aswell, as if it was hard coded.

Don't think people understand the mammoth amount of effort it takes to make FM, as someone who's just started doing basic coding in Python, I'd hate having to construct an entire game out of it. Changing a 1 to a 2 can cause everything to change aswell.

I'd like better graphics/regen faces, but I don't play the game to see how pretty everything is. Its sad but I'd be delighted if the AI improved to the point where I spend years scrabbling about in mid-table, losing out on wonderkids/my own star players to bigger clubs, and end up with some form of genuine rivalry with opposing managers where they reciprocate the ill feeling.

FM20 felt like it was just a case of biding your time, as inevitably you'd always come out on top the more the AI built their own squads.

I'd happily see graphics kept at the exact same level for 2/3 editions if we eventually end up at a point where the AI presents a major challenge long term.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting reading the reviews of that game.

A lot of people saying the only transfers that happen are domestic, and a couple of folk saw Ederson leave Man City for Liverpool in the first season. Most also suffered a cup shock defeat in the first season aswell, as if it was hard coded.

Don't think people understand the mammoth amount of effort it takes to make FM, as someone who's just started doing basic coding in Python, I'd hate having to construct an entire game out of it. Changing a 1 to a 2 can cause everything to change aswell.

I'd like better graphics/regen faces, but I don't play the game to see how pretty everything is. Its sad but I'd be delighted if the AI improved to the point where I spend years scrabbling about in mid-table, losing out on wonderkids/my own star players to bigger clubs, and end up with some form of genuine rivalry with opposing managers where they reciprocate the ill feeling.

FM20 felt like it was just a case of biding your time, as inevitably you'd always come out on top the more the AI built their own squads.

I'd happily see graphics kept at the exact same level for 2/3 editions if we eventually end up at a point where the AI presents a major challenge long term.

Match engine isn’t that game either.

it’s free for a reason.

Goes to show that graphics only matter if the core of the game is good.

as much criticism that FM gets, it’s the best sports simulation on the market. A lot of the stuff people are expecting from FM is unprecedented in the genre.

34 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Personally, I think the developers made a rod for their own back when they introduced language like Gegenpress and Tiki-Taka into the core of the tactical creator. These are very distinctive play styles originating from highly influential and admired coaches. I can completely understand why fans of the sport would want to replicate their ideas in a simulation. The problem is, if you're going to go with these labels, the ME better be able to pull it off. Sadly (again, a personal opinion) the football shown to us on match days has failed spectacularly to accomplish this.

I remember expectations were running wild on here, with exclamations like "I wanna Gegen like Klopp".

Oh, mate....   

Good point.  I get why you want to use those terms, it makes it instantly recognisable what it's trying to replicate.  But, emphasis on the "trying" part.  

23 minutes ago, destmez said:

Tricks and Skills are unattainable goals ?

Did I say that?  I'm saying that having a match engine truly replicate real life is never going to happen.  Expecting it to is unattainable.  I'd go as far as saying "play like x manager does in real life" is bordering on unattainable too, for the same reasons.  You're always going to be playing a game, any comparison to real life within that won't take long to crumble.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

I've never understood the hysteria around the match engine not truly replicating real life.  Like, I get that's obviously the aim, but are people really expecting this match engine - or any that a developer produces - to do so?  Seems like just building yourself up for disappointment with unattainable goals.  It's always going to be an approximation at best.  And that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

What hysteria? If you have the head of SI saying years ago that their goal is to simulate real life football match, the people are simply demanding what they promise.

20 minutes ago, grade said:

What hysteria? If you have the head of SI saying years ago that their goal is to simulate real life football match, the people are simply demanding what they promise.

Their goal, as in ultimate aim. Not that it does it yet, and literally no one has ever claimed it does. They've been quite open that its an approximation. It's a goal, not a promise, it might not be attainable, but it's something to aim at

You know, if software would be build for the fans, or at developers' whims or simply for the betterment of the software itself we'd be living in a different world. A make-believe world where pigs fly, no one ages and everybody that wants a 10-inch shlong gets a 10-inch shlong.

In REALITY we live in a world where software is designed by R&D, built by developers but mandated by whatever makes more money or can be sold quicker. Simply put, someone from SEGA has decided that re-working the match engine, adding dribbling animation, making better AI, etc. is not going to influence sales at all, because no matter how much 99% of people here whine about these problems they'll STILL buy the game.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Most players can freely live with ME not replicating irl game, but lately there were inconsistencies at the core which made quite basic elements faulty, you know them: CCC conversion rate, blocked crosses, wide players behaviour in the box. None of those issues were present in previous FMs, it's quite natural to demand more now.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

I get that isn't ever going to be perfect but there is quite a bit of basic stuff that is missing and I don't totally know how.

Take square passes- this isn't a new development in football, it has always been  part of the game. Yet we still see players shooting from ludicrous angles. 

I'm not a programmer but if you claim you're trying to replicate real life football and yet this is still a thing, I don't blame people for criticising a lack of realism.

Maybe if the game's marketing didn't describe it as "unrivalled simulation gaming", the "closest thing to being a real manager", "a living, breathing game world of unparalleled realism" that "achieves football authenticity that other football games can only aspire to", peoples' expectations would be tempered. 

Just now, autohoratio said:

Maybe if the game's marketing didn't describe it as "unrivalled simulation gaming", the "closest thing to being a real manager", "a living, breathing game world of unparalleled realism" that "achieves football authenticity that other football games can only aspire to", peoples' expectations would be tempered. 

Compared to any other football management game. they're right tbf

As you say that is the aim, and as it is supposed to be a simulation perhaps ypu would like to explain why an approximation is not a bad thing

1 hour ago, grade said:

Also Miles said in an interview in November 2015 that "in five years time if viewed from a similar camera angle you would not be able to tell the difference between a real match and the game".  That has nowhere near been achieved

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They put them in because people were asking for templates, even though previously they went to pains to point out that these are approximate templates, and managers evolve. don't think it's really SI making a rod here tbh, particularly if you say one thing, and people decide it's something else, you can't control that. You can make some pretty good approximations of various styles tbh. 

I would like them to go further and have even more tactical styles that match with a variety of formations *and* puts in a good, solid template of roles for the system within.

I think it would alleviate a lot of tactical frustrations, be welcoming for newbies and cater to those who wish to focus on building a team for the tactical style they choose. Obviously, the option to create your own systems will always be there as well, so no one loses out. I'd also, wouldn't mind if there was optional text written, perhaps in the manual book, that explains the tactical system and how the roles work for them. Would be outstanding as an optional tutorial IMO. And it could evolve with each iteration of the game.

8 hours ago, KiLLu12258 said:

Will not happen. No one (a bit harsh) cares for woman football.

And so no one wanna play it at a management game except a few.

It's one of the fastest growing sports out there. I would think it'll come into prominence in the next decade or two. Unfortunately, COVID has set Women's football back quite a bit. I wouldn't mind if SI dipped into the women's game, perhaps as an optional module in the future. Everything is more or less in place for it, maybe an adjustment in graphics and match engine (speed/mechanics etc) but otherwise why not?

8 hours ago, russell9 said:

Yes player animation is so bland and generic we can't see any differences between a sunday league player and Messi.

My complaint with animations is that they look gamey, but that's also because of the ME limitations.

You've all seen it. A player picks the ball up on the edge of the box from a corner, he dithers. Someone comes alongside him, they jockey badly, like some pathetic mating dance, and then finally a tackle comes in. In the meantime, everyone is lined up in a line waiting for that cross that never came because the player dithered. You see it often enough you question whether it's the player dithering, or the ME badly showing that he got closed down rapidly and tackled, and it plays out badly enough it looks gamey and of poor AI because no one is reacting to a rather lame situation unfolding.

Little things like that need to be stamped out IMO, and more commentary text to explain what exactly is happening. The commentary came on leaps and bounds in the last two games I think, but I want more.

I personally think that they get so little time to fix these issues because every year there seems to be a bigger issue that they need to fix, like long shots that were aimed at the corner flag, or that iteration where every other cross had to come off the crossbar. I really hope 2021 has no major issues so they can have more time to work on these perhaps, more minor issues, the animations and scenarios that pull you out of the realism.

4 hours ago, forameuss said:

Not really but the aim is to get that little bit better every year. A keeper still can’t foul. Surely that can be looked at?

16 hours ago, azymin said:

I really hope they unveil some more new features. I'm somewhat underwhelmed so far. Don't get me wrong, interactions improvements are great. Better transfers - good. 

But so far that's just not enough for me. I'll probably end buying it anyways as I do every year, but I really hope they have more stuff to announce.

I played 19th version till summer sale then switched to 20th and it was basically the same game)) so I think this year I'll go same route, I don't think all this intercations are worth 35-40 dollars

14 hours ago, sam allaguy said:

The marketing team are really going to have a tough time if their headline feature is extra button clicks to show emotions

but it seems like a loot of people excited about "throwing a bottle", like this is the most interesting thing that could be in football manager game

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't think people understand the mammoth amount of effort it takes to make FM

of course it's hard, but don't forget that they don't make this game from scratch every year, so basically it was developed for the last 15-16 years. I think the amount of code they actually change each year is something around 20-25 percent if not less, but the price goes up)

18 minutes ago, DP said:

Not really but the aim is to get that little bit better every year. A keeper still can’t foul. Surely that can be looked at?

Absolutely.  And I doubt you'd get any argument from SI either.

I'm not sure how anyone could get that I don't think the engine should be improved from my post.  There's plenty of scope for improvement.  I was specifically talking about the people that get so hung up on comparing FM to real life that it becomes impossible to reach.  Football is often praised for its unpredictability, but that's something no piece of code could ever model accurately.

2 minutes ago, FedAt said:

of course it's hard, but don't forget that they don't make this game from scratch every year, so basically it was developed for the last 15-16 years. I think the amount of code they actually change each year is something around 20-25 percent if not less, but the price goes up)

That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it.  Not to mention that it gets harder precisely because they're not building from scratch.  The older the modules get, and the more stuff gets added to them, the creakier and more prone to error they'll become.

Edited by forameuss

@forameuss I wasn't talking about harder/easier, I said about amount of changes and not about amount of work it requires to do, so don't actually understand why it's simplistic) But the problem of "old modules" is something they have to handle, or do you think it's ok to use this as an excuse for not making significant changes to the game?

On 15/10/2020 at 21:50, Exius said:

Feeling disappointed... It seems, I'll skip this one like I skipped FM 2020. I hope the day will come when they announce a massively improved ME as a major headline feature, not these minor things nobody cares about. Every year I see a lot of cool ideas in feature suggestion threads and it seems that they choose the least interesting and important ones.

PS Can someone explain me, how does it happen that even in FM 2021 the pitch looks worse than in a 10-year old (!) FM 2011? Is this something so difficult to fix?
image.thumb.png.d3b185339d514bd4f06e3459107f83a3.png

It's like playing on a Subbuteo pitch. Is this game going to be full retail price of £39.99?

On 15/10/2020 at 18:21, gunner86 said:

A bit of an oversimplification on the first one in particular. 
I’ll ask the same question I find myself asking every year, what groundbreaking new feature are you expecting?

Also, yes, ME looks like it’s been worked on :thup:

Well, when you're releasing a game every 12 months you need big headline features to keep the user base happy. It's all well and good to implement "under the hood" features as long as you're not planning on pocketing £40 for the game. I'd imagine this game will be marketed for at least £40 on Steam and even more on the Next Gen systems. My question is do you believe this iteration of the game has enough "headline features" to justify the very expensive price tag? 

13 minutes ago, mightypvfc said:

Well, when you're releasing a game every 12 months you need big headline features to keep the user base happy. It's all well and good to implement "under the hood" features as long as you're not planning on pocketing £40 for the game. I'd imagine this game will be marketed for at least £40 on Steam and even more on the Next Gen systems. My question is do you believe this iteration of the game has enough "headline features" to justify the very expensive price tag? 

Thats a yes from me! :thup:

hace 2 horas, themadsheep2001 dijo:

@isignedupfornorealreason all reminds me of tactical and theorems for fm10. No idea how viable it is but I loved that. Stick it in the features thread

Agree that a lot of effort should be put on that, really explaining how to setup basic tactics, mistakes to avoid etc.

Also the tactical templates... we have had the same tactical templates for at least 2 years if not more. The worse is that most of them are against what you can read later in the tactical forums, so it creates even more confusion for new players regarding the use of the defensive lines and specially mentalities, like that to play counter you need to be in defensive mentality etc. Also I find them really unbalanced, they look more like extremes that can be used in the tactical creator than balanced and usable tactics as a base.

Either SI or some of the great content creators we have in the community, like @Rashidi@Experienced Defender@herne79@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!etc should define together with SI the tactical templates shipped with the game so they match what is later explained by them or... allow us userbase to define, store and load templates that maybe even the AI could use.

To work on these balanced templates shouldn't involve the programmers that much so it won't take their development time other than adding them to the game.

52 minutes ago, FedAt said:

@forameuss I wasn't talking about harder/easier, I said about amount of changes and not about amount of work it requires to do, so don't actually understand why it's simplistic) But the problem of "old modules" is something they have to handle, or do you think it's ok to use this as an excuse for not making significant changes to the game?

Oh well, if they just have to "handle it" then I guess that just means it must be easy then. Brilliant.

You couldve just stopped at "i don't understand" really.

3 minuti fa, WelshMourinho ha scritto:

Extremely hopeful the next headline feature will be titled 'The death of gegenpressing.' 

Absolutely cannot be arsed for another FM where players with 12 workrate run around like they're Arturo Vidal and the ball is an alcoholic beverage.

:applause:awesome, thanks :D