Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

If a player is playing out of position then their stats should be dramatically decreased so it effects their performance. Phil Jones being top scorer as a striker and scoring 25 yard screamers is beyond any human beings imagination.

Edited by Dbuk1

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Lexis said:

I m not sure how granular teams are we talking about. If there s a specific training module team, why are we sometimes seeing very few if any changes to the training system? I imagine there s some sort of segregation, but Im not sure if it s per module. Would be interesting for them to share this with us

also it would be very beneficial if developers can share their process of choosing what features they want to implement and in general how they prioritize development of features

12 ore fa, Double0Seven ha scritto:

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/jh5dyh/phil_jones_paris_saintgermain

Heres another example of the ME needing fixing. Someone plays Phil Jones as striker and he's top scorer. While putting in the most minimal effort tactics wise. 

Even though it's a funny thing to do, the ME should punish this very hard. Phil Jones isn't a striker. Certainly not a top scoring one. 

I hope this isn't possible anymore in 2021.

"it's your tact".. oh no, wait :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, LolloViola said:

"it's your tact".. oh no, wait :rolleyes:

Actually, if he has the stats for it, he can play any position. It will only affect decision making a bit but if the position also gets trained why not. 

That doesn't make the ME bad. You're actually given the flexibility to use a player as you envision. 

I'm not saying this is necessary the case, but the post regarding Phil Jones and PSG might easily be "enhanced" with an in-game editor. It might very well be the real deal, but it could also be easily faked by pushing all his stats to great levels during play and then take them back down for a screenshot.

I'm just naturally suspicious I guess ;)

24 minutes ago, Manjusaka said:

Yes Phil Jones definitely has the attributes needed to be a top striker.

Without more info how would you know? Looking at his attributes, he has good first touch, great heading, strength, technique not bad, etc. What League was it? Did the person retrain him. 

Fellaini played as a striker. Several wingers are being moved to fullbacks. Some start out in one position and a coach sees then as someone else. 

Again. It's not really showing a fault with the ME if someone with attributes that work can play suck a position. There may be other flaws, this isn't one. 

17 minutes ago, DP said:

With poor finishing and poor off the ball - two of the supposedly more important traits for a top level striker - he shouldn’t really be scoring as many as that. He doesn’t have striker instinct and has never played the role. 

I’m not sure of the mechanics under the hood but I sometimes get the impression attributes don’t count as much as they should. This manifests itself in the amount of long shots that go in from players with low ratings on long shots and penalties. 

some attributes are just placebo

8 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

I’ve feared this for years and can’t help but think some don’t quite work as intended. However changing it will have a huge impact on how results play out. 

34 minutes ago, DP said:

I’ve feared this for years and can’t help but think some don’t quite work as intended. However changing it will have a huge impact on how results play out. 

this is what i believe in and i will not believe anyone who says otherwise. i believe the attributes are only used to calculate outcome of matches as a whole. that's all.

the sequence of plays has no evidence that attributes are used. this is the reason why a non-league club or an elite club matches plays out exactly the same in the ME. i don't see any difference at all.
an obscure club can play gengenpress & tiki-taka on the ME just as good as any elite club. 

attributes like natural fitness, stamina, decision, vision which are vital for these sort of systems are almost non existant. if attributes are indeed relevant, the tempo of the play will be much slower as anyone who watches a sunday league team will concur.

一小时前, tyro说:

Without more info how would you know? Looking at his attributes, he has good first touch, great heading, strength, technique not bad, etc. What League was it? Did the person retrain him. 

Fellaini played as a striker. Several wingers are being moved to fullbacks. Some start out in one position and a coach sees then as someone else. 

Again. It's not really showing a fault with the ME if someone with attributes that work can play suck a position. There may be other flaws, this isn't one. 

The info is in that reddit link. Phil Jones is used as a PF(A) in PSG and is retrained to have an accomplished rating at the position. Even in Ligue 1 I can't imagine a striker with 5 Off the ball 6 finishing is able to score 12 goals in 14 league games.

And now you mention that in real life wingers are moved to fullbacks. If you think of it, when Ashley Young got moved to the FB position in real life, his attributes actually got reworked in the new FM editions. The old Ashley Young in FM did not look like he can play at FB at all in FM terms. This kind of redistribution of attributes just isn't simulated in FM. Video games can't compare with reality in such a straight-forward way.

I don't know what goals he scored. From where. With headers maybe? No clue. I have players in penalty shootouts with single digit finishing and they still score the penalty. The low rating does not mean they can't finish. It means the accuracy is less. 

12 goals isn't bad but my central midfielders, wingers, etc. also score that. Heck, I even have my defenders sometimes with close to 10 goals a season. 

I'm gonna bow out because we are obviously not on the same page. Playing players in new positions is nothing new. Saying that playing someone in another position and that they can succeed in that position, does, in my opinion, not mean that the match engine is broken. 

Dont believe anything you read on reddit.

2 hours ago, Karnack said:

I'm not saying this is necessary the case, but the post regarding Phil Jones and PSG might easily be "enhanced" with an in-game editor. It might very well be the real deal, but it could also be easily faked by pushing all his stats to great levels during play and then take them back down for a screenshot.

I'm just naturally suspicious I guess ;)

What he said!

This example of Phil Jones as a striker doesn't really reinforce the fact that ME is flawed. Although he does not have good attributes like finishing and off the ball the technique, physique, antecipation and heading can prevail in several situations in the match

Edited by Nick_CB

I mean, Phil Jones has 16 for heading, 15 for versatility, and some pretty good attributes for a pressing forward, so I guess he could be successful as a striker, but I'd take that Reddit thread with a pinch of salt. Or a lorry full of it.

On 23/10/2020 at 14:24, Rascanuvols said:

Most of the under-the-hood stuff can be argued an generally the SI people here make som great points, but man, this is just unbelievable. It's not even a matter of taste, or style or anything, they are not even texturing the field, what the actual ****.

It may be something to do with the advertising hoardings. Pitches with plain colour and little texture/weathering means the advertisements stand out more and the new stand entrances/exits (large and prominent) are located right by them as opposed to halfway up the stand, away from them.

It could be something to do with attracting your eye to the ads in more recent FM versions. Call me cynical...

Edited by Kingstontom88

3 hours ago, WilltheWolf92 said:

Saw some vids on YT of early 3D Engines for FM21. I hope so hard that this isn't the one for FM21 cause else I would be furious.

Telling us numerous times 3D Engine will change but it EXACTLY the same

Where have you seen Vids on YT for the 3D engine for FM21 apart from a few seconds on the features vid I don't think there has been any others has there?

4 hours ago, Viking said:

I mean, Phil Jones has 16 for heading, 15 for versatility, and some pretty good attributes for a pressing forward, so I guess he could be successful as a striker, but I'd take that Reddit thread with a pinch of salt. Or a lorry full of it.

The guy didn't even use an editor. His Phil Jones had 6 in finishing so... :D

17 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Speaking of which, if xG works "correctly" (and is also part of a player's profile), you'll find that almost all forwards of any level finish roughly accordingly to their xG. There's very few players who outperform it consistently some every season, and I wonder if this new tool is also being used to further fine-tune / balance the db / ME, as well as driving possible transfer decisions for the AI. Btw, from my experience the chance/s have always mattered more than the forward who has them all along the series, so if somebody is set up in front of the goal over and over, he'll score some.

Edited by Svenc

45 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Speaking of which, if xG works "correctly" (and is also part of a player's profile), you'll find that almost all forwards of any level finish roughly accordingly to their xG. There's very few players who outperform it consistently some every season, and I wonder if this new tool is also being used to further fine-tune / balance the db / ME, as well as driving possible transfer decisions for the AI. Btw, from my experience the chance/s have always mattered more than the forward who has them all along the series, so if somebody is set up in front of the goal over and over, he'll score some.

I hope this will be the logic to fine tune the ME. Often i wonder how the old DB Say FM 16/17/18 will work in the Current ME.

11 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Robot mode?

Why robot? Staying IN the box at the throw-ins as instructed and not going to the thrower would be nice. True story of my save, when in 4-3-3 lone striker completely disregards his positioning on the throw-in every time

And don't get me started on GK's delivery instructions

Would really love to hear what changes there are for international management, if any.

Especially managing in a major tournament should feel like that - press, speculation, player conversations, training, etc. So much of it is just missing right now.

1 hour ago, saihtam said:

Been away from forums for several days and no new news about FM21? Hope something big this week then.

I hope so. We are about 2 weeks from the Beta release (which is about 2 weeks from the release date, give or take).

4 hours ago, Svenc said:

Speaking of which, if xG works "correctly" (and is also part of a player's profile), you'll find that almost all forwards of any level finish roughly accordingly to their xG.

Oh, xG tables included in the Team Detailed and Player Detailed competition stats would be sweet! Or even just a column one could add to a Squad view.

Also, I'm wondering how many of such demolitions we'll be able to see. :D

fXtTq5Z.png

7 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Oh, xG tables included in the Team Detailed and Player Detailed competition stats would be sweet! Or even just a column one could add to a Squad view.

fXtTq5Z.png

The Holy Grail of FM20 (an unrealistically agressive tactic and unrealistically high morale) should make you demolish smaller teams like that. Hopefully XG will be used to balance the ME

Edited by Fánabrauð

18 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Where have you seen Vids on YT for the 3D engine for FM21 apart from a few seconds on the features vid I don't think there has been any others has there?

Yeah to clarify, there has been no significant reveal of the ME in any shape or form. It's not something SI are going to send out quietly, that's for sure.

I would be raising both eyebrows at anyone claiming to have FM21 ME footage on youtube

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

fXtTq5Z.png

They are likely going to be reasonably rare, considering that a) chances with above 0.5 xG should be reasonably rare, and previously, b) the record was 6.x xG AFAIK. And that was a match that ended 0-0 (must have been a keeper bug). :D edit: Ok, not quite: http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2019/09/22/highest-xg-ever-in-a-game-xg-man-city-watford-2019-6-83-0-34-8-0-goals/

From personal experience, the stat will be most useful in these kind of matches for most (loads of attempts, limited quality -- now officially "endorsed" by SI to be lower quality also). I am really curious how this is gonna work out in-game either way. :D 

Edited by Svenc

Also amusing (re the Phil Jones stuff) to see people desperately look for some smoking gun with regards to the ME.  If you're even remotely surprised that a system that is, at it's core, rigid and playing by a set of rules, has trouble when you throw in unrealistic input, then I don't know what to tell you.  The most outlandish things that get reported as happening with this game, are often because of outlandish input.  Seeing this happen doesn't really move the needle on the ME from where it already - and always - was.  It's flawed.  It needs improvement.  SI would probably freely admit it.

10 minutes ago, KiLLu12258 said:

if we are already at such things i dont have hope that we will get some new "big" features. 

all big/headline features has been written in the first message of this topic.